I Need suggestions from women

Options

Replies

• yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    All your ideas look great so far. I would suggest that no matter what attack you're teaching the ladies to defend against, you advocate simple, tactical, practical, easy moves that can be used during the "adrenaline dump." It's terribly hard to remember a series of complex, martial art - like moves when you are having the fight or flight response to an attack.

I'll echo this. I learned SING my very first weekend at college and actually remembered it in a bad situation.
  • beyg
    beyg Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    When I do my curriculum for ladies I consider all the moves that can be done by a small frame lady. your ideas are all good. I also teach them to scream loud. Don't underestimate the power of a female scream (sometimes the male scream is good too).
  • Everythin2Lose
    Options
    Pinned against a wall was one i was taught in selfdefence and how to break free if they've got a knife to your throat (its scary to learn... but at least I know) or breaking out of wrist grabs
  • beyg
    beyg Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Dogs! I'm honestly afraid when a dog runs up to me, I feel helpless.

Hey tell them to go home, all dogs know the go home command, and don't look at them in the yes, and don't try to touch them.
    Don't panic or get too excited because Dog's response to our excitment and stop listening to humans. Hope this helps.
  • DeckerDoll
    Options
    Covering precautionary steps to avoid dangerous situations:

Parking under a light when dark
    Checking under car BEFORE getting to car
    Not walking and talking on cell phone or texting (being aware of surroundings)
    Carrying pepper spray or a taser (I have pepper spray on my key chain and I just swing it while walking to and from home lol)

Don't laugh but I've been told this:

Scream "FIRE" instead of just screaming. Sometimes people will ignore screaming (especially children screaming) but if they hear "FIRE" they might pay a little more attention because it might concern their own personal safety. Horrible, but true.
  • HeatherPH
    HeatherPH Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    What to do in the face of a weapon. I do karate and we're taught a lot how to disarm a knife, which is a handy thing to know. You might not be able to teach someone exactly that, but even just how to twist away from weapons etc. Twisting away in general, really (esp out of grabs); it's an invaluable skill!

But yep, I think a huge thing is how to get out when someone's grabbed you, either from behind or the front, and how to get out from under someone who's pinned you and is going for *that* area.
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    How to talk/yell loudly. Not scream, not screech, to be powerfully loud. Though I don't know if this is something you know how to teach. If you need help on this one, in box me.
    This kid threatened to stab me, I yelled at him and he took off. it was pretty funny.
  • HeatherPH
    Options
    Thank you so much for caring about educating ladies in self defense! I'm sure I can speak for all of us in saying that I appreciate that. ;)

I agree!
  • Effpcos
    Effpcos Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Definitely grabbing from behind, that seems to be the most common "m.o" for sexual offenders, and grabbing from vehicles.

Our self-defense instructor emphasised the importance of fighting back, not just wishing it over as quickly as possible. He made us think about how hard it is to make a kicking toddler do something they don't want to, and then imagine how much harder it would be to control a full-grown kicking struggling woman, it gave us a feeling of confidence.
    He also told us to try to do damage, scratches down the face, eye-gouging, ripping cheeks, biting etc, so that it would be easier for police to identify the offenders.
    The other thing he pointed out was that it was a bit hopeless going to the genital area of an attacker, as adrenaline would mean they often didn't notice.
    A "handy tip" he gave us, and I regularly use, is to carry your keys with your car key between thumb and index finger, and spread the other keys so that they are sticking out between your other fingers, like a pointy stabby knuckle-duster. It's effective, and if an attacker does manage to get them off you they're just a bunch of keys and can't be used against you like carrying a knife would.
  • HeatherPH
    Options
    He also told us to try to do damage, scratches down the face, eye-gouging, ripping cheeks, biting etc, so that it would be easier for police to identify the offenders.

Excellent point!!
  • seshchick2
    Options
    Focus, focus, focus. It does no good to get away from your attacker only to find out that you are completely lost!
  • ladytinkerbell99
    ladytinkerbell99 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the handy tips.
  • Effpcos
    Effpcos Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Pepper spray and tasers are illegal here, (best we can get is a personal alarm) but I used to carry my body spray up my sleeve with my finger on the nozzle, that stuff stings your eyes!

I also forgot showing them how to get out of a wrist grab, pulling your arm through where their thumb and fingers are as it's the weakest part of your grip.
  • demonlullaby
    demonlullaby Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I have taken a few self defense classes.. I think the ones you should definitely teach would be.

- escaping the "mount" (when someone has you pinned down and you're on your back)
    - show and demonstrate several pain sensitive areas/pressure points
    - how to weaken someone's grip (escape tactic)
  • mrs_deg1983
    Options
    Oh, and carjacking: throw your keys as far as you can.

As long as my children are not in the car, its not worth fighting for.
  • mrs_deg1983
    Options
    I've been asked to teach some self defense lessons to a group of women (all adults). I would like to know what women would want to know how to defend themselves against. I have some ideas, but I'd like to hear anything and everything from the women of mfp.

Things I was thinking of:
    - purse snatchings
    - escaping the "mount" (when someone has you pinned down and you're on your back)
    - walking and awareness
    - how to dish out pain quickly & get away
    - show and demonstrate several pain sensitive areas/pressure points
    - how to weaken someone's grip (escape tactic)

Yes, I realize I tee'd up plenty of opportunities for funny comments :), but if the comedians could hold their comments, I'd appreciate it.

When i was a teen my brother always told me to keep the longest key from my key chain in between my pointer and middle finger and go for what ever i can neck, eyes chest.....

Thanks for any suggestions.
  • mrs_deg1983
    Options
    When i was a teen my brother always told me to keep the longest key from my key chain in between my pointer and middle finger and go for what ever i can neck, eyes chest.....
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    2 headed aliens
  • dizzydi1968
    Options
    How to run in heels
  • zeebruhgirl
    zeebruhgirl Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Being backed into a wall and closed in on.

Wish I would have known more when my ex step dad used to pull that ****.