Anyone else exercise like crazy but still can't lose weight?

Options
I work out for 15 minutes in the morning before work; 10 mins cardio and 5 minutes of crunches, pushups and leg lifts. After work, I run 5 miles at 10 minutes per mile. I cook all of my meals at home and eat a high protein and low carb/no sugar diet, and find that I only lose about 0.15 lbs per week. I am insulin resistant and have had my genome sequenced, and have 3 different variations of genes that promote obesity, which also is in my family.

It is SO frustrating to be working so hard and getting such slow results! Is anyone else in this situation?

Replies

• victoriadw84
    victoriadw84 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Same!!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    how are you measuring your loss?

i havent lost a single pound for the past 2 months but i've gone from a size 16 to a size 12 and there's significantly less fat on my abs, thighs and butt
  • waronmyfat
    waronmyfat Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    your not exercising long enough.... make your workouts 30-45mins long and you will start to see results, also what do you have you calories set at?
  • demhareis
    Options
    What does your nutritionist say?
  • TheFunBun
    TheFunBun Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    your not exercising long enough.... make your workouts 30-45mins long and you will start to see results, also what do you have you calories set at?

5 miles at 10 mph = 50 minutes.
  • mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I work out for 45-60 mins, 4-5 times a week and burn 450-600 cals per workout using my HRM and have lost 1.2lbs this entire month. i'm always under my calories too - SO frustrating!!!
  • theredqueentheory
    Options
    Wow, that is amazing! Good for you! I've been going by the scale. But I did notice that my pants are a bit looser. I just remember how happy I was when I was thinner, and have been weighing myself every day and it makes me ARGH! :)
    how are you measuring your loss?

i havent lost a single pound for the past 2 months but i've gone from a size 16 to a size 12 and there's significantly less fat on my abs, thighs and butt
  • funkyspunky872
    funkyspunky872 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    Two words:

Eat more.
  • theredqueentheory
    Options
    Hi! I think that you did not read my entire post... as it says I exercise twice a day, 15 minutes in the morning and 50 minutes at night, for a total of 60 minutes a day. :)

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    she is already working out that long even longer if you add everything up.

oh yeah another thing i think is making a huge difference with transforming my body is lifting heavy weights. i've been severely slacking off in cardio over the last 2 months but it seems i've gotten the most change in fat% loss whereas before it took me 4 months to drop 2 sizes (when i was doing more cardio) but i was dropping scale weight.

personally i'm happier to fit into smaller clothes even if that means i lose hardly anything on the scale. once i hit my goal of a size 6 my weight can just be a surprise to whatever fool decides they can just pick me up :laugh:
  • theredqueentheory
    Options
    Oops, sorry for the bad math. 65 minutes per day. Silly me.
    Hi! I think that you did not read my entire post... as it says I exercise twice a day, 15 minutes in the morning and 50 minutes at night, for a total of 60 minutes a day. :)

• Daniellerepetti
    Options
    Too much cardio. It's putting too much stress on your body and its holding onto your fat. Try taking away one or two days of the cardio and adding circuit training with weights for an hour instead. Crunches dont do much - do planks if you want to see any type of definition in your mid section. It will pull everything in.
  • NewAngel35
    NewAngel35 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I work out for 15 minutes in the morning before work; 10 mins cardio and 5 minutes of crunches, pushups and leg lifts. After work, I run 5 miles at 10 minutes per mile. I cook all of my meals at home and eat a high protein and low carb/no sugar diet, and find that I only lose about 0.15 lbs per week. I am insulin resistant and have had my genome sequenced, and have 3 different variations of genes that promote obesity, which also is in my family.

It is SO frustrating to be working so hard and getting such slow results! Is anyone else in this situation?

Can i ask how much you have to loose??.I j have this very problem but for me I think its because I am already around the weight I want to be
  • theredqueentheory
    Options
    I don't have a nutritionist, but I do have a doctor and genetic counselor who are helping me combat my insulin resistance and obesity genes. They say to be patient and continue with my exercise and low carb diet. It's just frustrating to be working so hard and eating less than my recommended caloric intake but still losing so little weight.
    What does your nutritionist say?
  • cragen01
    cragen01 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Like a lot of other people have said, you would do better to do a longer workout versus several shorter ones.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    That was ME for 15 years. The only way to lose weight is to eat less. My full story here --> http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/740340-i-lost-60-lbs-at-age-51-anyone-can-any-workout

Seriously, I ran marathon after marathon after marathon thinking this time would finally work. Nope.

Eat Less to lose (Eat less when you are fat, Eat more when you are lean << that's where starvation mode happens)

Exercise to look good when the fat is gone.
  • theredqueentheory
    Options
    15 lbs...I was once at 145 before my injuries and am now 160.

Can i ask how much you have to loose??.I j have this very problem but for me I think its because I am already around the weight I want to be
  • VogtAndrea
    Options
    I'm in the same situation. Plateaus aren't fun and they leave you wondering what's happening.
    This week I'm back swimming laps and doing aquafit every weeknight and walking on the weekends, doing weights too.
    Zippo.... I haven't lost an ounce in 3 weeks. In fact, I've gained half a pound. My calories are over 1200 a day and under 1500. One might think the weight would still be dropping but NOPE.... not happening.
  • lovinmomma
    Options
    Yes! I am in your boat! I run 30 mins in the morning and do 45 minutes of strength/ cardio in the after noon sometimes up to an hour. so i am averaging 60-90 mins a day 6 days a week i eat super well and CANT lose a pound!!! my dr said i gained the wieght due to hormones and for some reason i just cant lose it and it is so frustrating but i feel amazing when i work out! my day is easier and my fitness level has never been better! keep at it and remember you are improving your health
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    I tried that once. My friend said working out too much can stop you from losing weight because the body doesn't have time to recover and also burning too many calories can be counter productive. I was working out burning 1000+ and eating maybe 1800 and I didn't lose any weight. I actually gained like 2lbs and I'm fairly sure it wasn't muscle. Probably fluid.