Running: distance vs time

Options
I started running in May (at a baby's pace) and increased my endurance from maxing out at 1 lap around the track, to being able to run 2 laps max without stopping. And that was totally my max. Like I couldn't run any farther, just walk for 1 min or so then continue running.

I was trying to build up to 1 mile non-stop, but something happened. I went from running 2 laps in 5 min, to it only taking 4.5 minutes. So my speed had improved, but I maxed out at the same distance.

Soo... I guess my question is WTF?

Replies

• arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Slow down, you can't go balls out every time you run.
  • Courtney_7790
    Options
    Your probably getting more fit so you have more energy but like he said dont use it all at once keep going the same speed and use that energy to run a little further instead of faster.
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    When it comes to running, it's all about energy management. The slower you run, the less energy you use, the further you can run.
  • johloz
    johloz Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Both - work on increasing your distance, but throw in some fast runs and definitely some sprinting days. Sprints are amazing for increasing your strength and stamina. I recommend to my friends who are just getting into running that they alternate running for 60 seconds then walking for 30 seconds and do this for as long as they can. This helps build up your endurance in a tolerable way. Good for you on getting into running though! You're an inspiration!
  • kennacoconut
    kennacoconut Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    This all happened on an outdoor track. So would it be more beneficial to run at a set pace on a treadmill if my goal is longer distance, not shoter time?
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're running too fast. At that pace you're at a 9 minute mile, which is a really fast pace for a new runner. If you are going for distance, slow yourself down a little, maybe a lot. The American standard for fitness and health for a mile is 12 minutes and most new runners will set an initial goal of getting to a 10 minute mile before really starting intense work on increasing speed beyond that.

Going too fast will tire you out and make it so you can't keep running for a longer period of time and go the further distances. Slow yourself down until you achieve your distance goals and then work on speed from there, if you want to. Whether you're on a treadmill or outside, it's the same answer. If you are worried about pacing to quickly, just watch your timing while you run or get an app for your phone that shows your pace while running and check in on yourself until you get the feel for the pace that will keep you going the distance you want to.
  • kennacoconut
    kennacoconut Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the advice. One last thing; when I run 5mph or so I feel uncomfortable. Idk how to explain it... like boree, impatient, and twitchy. I guess I am an all in or all out kind of person. I either walk... or run. Any advice for that?
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the advice. One last thing; when I run 5mph or so I feel uncomfortable. Idk how to explain it... like boree, impatient, and twitchy. I guess I am an all in or all out kind of person. I either walk... or run. Any advice for that?

Practice and patience. It sounds counter-intuitive but running slower (intentionally) can be hard but it's the long slow runs that build endurance.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    I went from running 2 laps in 5 min, to it only taking 4.5 minutes. So my speed had improved, but I maxed out at the same distance.

Soo... I guess my question is WTF?

Slow down a bit. You're running a 9 min mile pace at that rate and that's pretty fast in my opinion. Try running at a 10 min mile pace and see if that helps. That's still 6 mph and isn't shabby at all. I had the same issue when I started trying to increase distance last month. Slow down, work on distance, and the speed will start creeping back up as you get more endurance. I just did 4.1 miles this morning at a 9:40 pace which is a big improvement for me from where I started this year. I wasn't tempted to stop once (not much) and if I can repeat this two more times this week I'm going to push for a 9:15 - 9:00 pace. I'd love to do a 5k at a 8:00 mile pace but baby steps. I'm getting there eventually.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    As everyone else has said, just slow it down. I run a lot of my miles slower then 9:00 per mile pace. My race paces are considerably faster than that. Slow, easy running is how you build aerobic fitness.
  • DonniesGirl69
    DonniesGirl69 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Slow down, you can't go balls out every time you run.

^^ This

Learn to focus on your pace, slow down and you'll be able to go further. Running a full out sprint speed isn't meant for long distances so if distance is your goal, ease up a bit. :smile:
  • msmithevv
    msmithevv Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I recommend the Couch to 5k program. It starts you out slowly and builds you up to longer runs. You can google it to see what it is all about. It is a good program for new runners. Good luck!
  • gungho66
    gungho66 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    You have to build endurance first ,you ant just go out and break speed records everyday. Maybe one fast day day or try running up hill, jog back down then run up the hill again then run a slow relaxed mile. you want to increase the distance you run by about 10 % every week . Its a slow methodical process. Otherwise you are setting yourself up for injury. Try just running for distance and improving that first, speed will come later.