Options
2»

Replies

• yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    You are going to have 500 more periods.

1. This will happen 80% of the time.
    2. When it doesnt, it most likely means its one of those months where you see no changes ever.
    3. This means you are healthy- your body pads and protects itself and fills with fluid to allow you to heal. If it didnt, you should worry.
    4. Also boobs.
    5. It will usually dissipate between the third day of chasing the cotton mouse and usually takes a half pound with it; if you workout and eat right during the whole business, it might take up to 2 or 3 pounds with it.
    6. Celebrate that your body is working perfectly and realize that those fluctuations are part of being a girl and do NOT EVER COUNT towards weight gain or loss - because it has to happen. Getting upset because you gain a couple on your period (or 8 pounds like me :|) is like getting frustrated because you drank 4 bottles of water and have to pee. It will happen no matter what and all it means is that this week's weigh in is affected by natural physical factors that represent good health.
    7. Its good to track this so that in 6 months you can look back and see that it always shows up and always goes away.

Grasp this whole business now and save yourself some heartache.

This is the best advice you will likely get on this post. Heed her words.
  • areufnkiddingme
    areufnkiddingme Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I always felt so terrible for the girls on Biggest Loser for this exact reason- thats just absolutely not fair!
  • aforange
    aforange Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Wah, thanks for the responses guys! I know just to accept it as a ghastly part of life and to move on. In the end I've still shed a pound and a pound is better than nothing at all.
    Going through exactly the same! It fugging SUCKS to be female. Play tennis, wear white, look fabulous, climb a mountain? Yeah riiiight! My bread-bin was lucky to survive this month, only because I had this place as a support! As for the body fat going up are you working it out by measurement? My waist balloons by 2-3 inches at TOM, apparently its all due to water retention so I wouldnt worry too much. You've managed a loss the week before 'the time we shall not name', that in itself is a battle won! Perhaps we should call it Voldemort week?

Oh my god, Voldemort week is so perfect! It's horrific, never goes away no matter what you do, makes you feel like a noseless, hideous lizard / reptile / marine animal (a big fat porpoise is usually my preferred choice) and often results in a small, gruesome battle with a speccy boy waving his magic shooting wood around.

That got a little out of hand.

I measure my body fat percentage at Boots where I weight myself by gripping two handles. I've never understood how it works but apparently I've slapped on a nice hearty 3 percent fat gain which is generally blech.
    This is how it is for me, exactly. Not to mention with how crabby it makes me I have always been tempted to throw the scale when I weighed myself on my TOTM :mad: :explode: ... Probably best not to weigh in then.

If I'd had a scale today I would have thrown it out the window, luckily, I was in Boots and a kindly old man was looking on so I couldn't dissolve into a state of screaming abdabbery.
    I have no issues losing during my ToTM. Drink water, cut your sodium and EAT what you are supposed to eat. The past week you averaged 1300 calories and worked out just about every day. How did you decide you gained BF? Did you get medically tested twice in the past month? Are you recording everything? Do you weigh things or just estimate. Are you overestimating workout calories? What is your BMR? your TDEE?

I drink my 8 glasses a day, have ate to my calorie goals every day, never going over. I log absolutely everything that touches my lips. I got my BF percentage from the weighing machine at Boots which takes your weight, height, shows you your BMI etc, then you grip two handles and it calculates your BF percentage. I weigh all my foods (which takes forever but it's worth it!) and I take my workout calories straight from the readouts on the machine. My BMR is 1,711 calories and my TDEE is 2665.

2. When it doesnt, it most likely means its one of those months where you see no changes ever.
    3. This means you are healthy- your body pads and protects itself and fills with fluid to allow you to heal. If it didnt, you should worry.
    4. Also boobs.
    5. It will usually dissipate between the third day of chasing the cotton mouse and usually takes a half pound with it; if you workout and eat right during the whole business, it might take up to 2 or 3 pounds with it.
    6. Celebrate that your body is working perfectly and realize that those fluctuations are part of being a girl and do NOT EVER COUNT towards weight gain or loss - because it has to happen. Getting upset because you gain a couple on your period (or 8 pounds like me :|) is like getting frustrated because you drank 4 bottles of water and have to pee. It will happen no matter what and all it means is that this week's weigh in is affected by natural physical factors that represent good health.
    7. Its good to track this so that in 6 months you can look back and see that it always shows up and always goes away.

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

This, just. This.
  • sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    Know what I hate?? I am all finished having babies. I am OLD. I should not have to still do the whole TOM thing. WIsh there was a magic button you could push to end the TOM when you are no longer in baby making mode. :grumble:
  • laylaness
    laylaness Posts: 262 Member
    Options

4. Also boobs.

Truth.

Also, "chasing the cotton mouse" is my new favorite euphemism.
  • Noni2863
    Noni2863 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Know what I hate?? I am all finished having babies. I am OLD. I should not have to still do the whole TOM thing. WIsh there was a magic button you could push to end the TOM when you are no longer in baby making mode. :grumble:

With you on that one!
    A magic button....what a truly brilliant idea!