Multi-Vitamins and Weight Gain.

Options
Quick Question...hopefully you can answer. Three weeks ago I started taking a Biotin based multi-vitamin on top of the children's vitamin I take daily. I have noticed the last two weeks that I have put on 4+ pounds. :huh: Has anyone else taking a multi-vitamin had this problem with weight gain. I know I'm going to dicuss with my doctor but don't see him for another week, so wanted your experiences. Thank you :drinker:

Replies

• JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I can't imagine that it would be the multivitamin. Most don't have any calories, or have very few. Fish oils, for example, will have a few calories, but still a tiny amount compared to your overall intake.

Has anything else changed in the last two weeks? Are you weighing/measuring and counting all your food accurately? Have you had more sodium or carbohydrate than usual? Both of those can make you retain water which will show up on the scale. Have you started a new exercise programme or increased the intensity of your exercise? That can make you retain water as your muscles repair themselves. Could it be a hormonal thing? I know 4 lbs is not good when it's going in the wrong direction, but there could be quite a few explanations for it, so I wouldn't panic just yet! Hopefully your doctor will be able to help too.
  • NikkiHann17
    NikkiHann17 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I have been working out to some extent everyday. I'm still always under my calorie goal because I just can't eat anymore. I'm going to talk to my doctor on Monday. Thank you for all your help.
  • hellraisedfire
    hellraisedfire Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I would say measure yourself instead of weighing. I've been weight lifting for about two months now, and I actually still weigh the same, but I can fit into jeans and pants that I haven't been able to for years.
  • NikkiHann17
    NikkiHann17 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to let you all know that I saw my doctor on Monday. He stated the weight gain was prob a combo of the diet and working out. Therefore he took my off one of them. At weigh in on thursday I lost 2 1/4 pounds. So there was a big difference.
  • Topher1978
    Topher1978 Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Yeah, some of that could be muscle gain, which is good...