pumpkin

Options
joann
joann Posts: 624 Member
Anyone have any ideas, I know if you subsitute canned pumpkin in low fat brownie mix it is wonderful and not as sinful to eat. But since there is a pumpkin shortage ( I cant find any) what else could i use. Would apple sauce work? thanks anyone for your help...

Replies

• jennkohler
    Options
    I have never heard of using pumpkin in brownie mix. What are you substituting with it? I would think applesauce would work though . I use applesauce instead of eggs when making pancakes, gives them more flavor.
  • amberc1982
    amberc1982 Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I use Apple Sauce instead of eggs in things like cake. So I would think it would work for Brownies also.
  • minus10
    minus10 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have substituted applesauce for oil when baking. In curious, what are you substituting with pumpkin. Also where are you that you can't find canned pumpkin? I heard there was a shortage but I have not had a problem finding it in Michigan.
  • vhardwick
    Options
    I replace the oil in cakes, brownies, etc. for applesauce all the time.
    Works great! I still put the eggs though. (I use the break-free kind)
  • krisolso
    krisolso Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I've used a can of cherry pie filling as a substitution for cake mixes and it's delicious. For brownies, I've used all bran cereal and made muffins. It does change the consistency but they are really good. If you do a google search for all bran brownies several sites list the ingredient amounts.
  • Slim34
    Slim34 Posts: 46
    Options
    I've used a can of cherry pie filling as a substitution for cake mixes and it's delicious. For brownies, I've used all bran cereal and made muffins. It does change the consistency but they are really good. If you do a google search for all bran brownies several sites list the ingredient amounts.

use cherry pie filling for the oil and eggs ?? hmmm .. never heard that one b4
  • blondeheat
    blondeheat Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I have heard of using baby prunes instead of the oil or eggs in brownies...
  • joann
    Options
    i just use low fat brownie mix and a can of pumpkin...thats it
  • Nikiki
    Nikiki Posts: 993
    Options
    i looooove pumpkin, but never heard of it for brownies, I'll have to try it! I've used applesauce and mashed banana in recipes several times, including for brownies and it works great!
  • Laceylala
    Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member
    Options
    Yes you can. I've used both apple sauce and canned pumpkin in place of the oil in brownies. Not the eggs though. Have to have something to keep it stuck together so to speak..plus it adds protein. And we can all use protein. Maybe you could replace the yolk with an extra egg white?
  • Christie422
    Christie422 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I've made muffins with cake mix and pumpkin, never tried it with brownies, I'm going to have to give that a try! I can't find pumpkin where I am either. The other day I made a pumpkin bread recipe and substituted pureed butternut squash (so good!) I bet that would work with the brownie mix too. Its a little lighter consistency wise than the pumpkin but the apple sauce would be too.
  • ltlhmom
    ltlhmom Posts: 1,202 Member
    Options
    I would put apple sauce in place of the oil and add only one egg so they will have the brownie texture not cake.

Here are some other recipe ideas:

1 box brownie mix
    1 can of black beans

you first puree the black beans, then beat them into the mix
    spray a 13X9 pan, and spread the mixture into the pan
    then follow the rest of the box instructions!

1-devils food cake mix
    1-can 15oz packed pumpkin

Directions
    Mix the two ingredients together.
    Don't add anything else
    The mixture will be very thick and you will be tempted to add in other things to make the batter smoother.
    DO NOT DO THIS AS IT WILL RUIN EVERYTHING!
    Place batter into muffin tins (or mini muffin tins) lined with paper, or sprayed with non-stick spray.
    Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes.
    Makes 15 regular or 36 mini muffins.

or you can use spiced cake mix or gingerbread mix

1 package Betty Crocker low fat brownie mix
    3 cups Kellogg's All Bran
    2 1/4 cups water
    1 1/2 tsp. baking powder

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
    Pour the water over the All Bran and let it soak up for about 5 minutes in a small bowl.
    In a large bowl stir together brownie mix, All Bran, and baking powder. Mix well until mixture is moist.
    Place paper cupcake liners in a muffin pan.
    Fill up each of the twelve cupcake liners to the very top.
    Bake at 350 degrees for about 25 minutes.
    Yields 12 muffins.

Pumpkin Mousse

2 Small pkgs sugar free vanilla pudding or butterscotch -- I used one of each
    3 cups Skim Milk
    1 can Pumpkin 14 ounce
    1 teaspoon Pumpkin pie spice
    1 cup Fat Free Cool Whip

Beat pudding, milk, pumpkin and spice with a whisk. Fold in Cool Whip. Refrigerate for an hour minimum. This is so good!!
    (Keeps about 3-4 days in the fridge).

I have also do cake mix and 12 oz of seltzer water or diet soda. For frosting I do fat free cool whip, 2 box of sugar free pudding mix and two cups of skim milk. mix all together.

Enjoy!
  • Birdsong
    Options
    1 can of diet coke. I promise. Adds 0 calories and works like a charm.
  • joann
    Options
    Dont know if anyone else wants this but I found pumpking in food lion..it is an off brand name, not Libbys but they have it....
  • monnafrench
    monnafrench Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I use a cake mix (choc) and a can of diet coke...works great..never tried it with brownie mix. MIGHT WORK
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    i looooove pumpkin, but never heard of it for brownies, I'll have to try it! I've used applesauce and mashed banana in recipes several times, including for brownies and it works great!
    Im addicted to pumpkin and havent tried it either.... and nice tatt by the way
  • calvarado
    Options
    Man- these are all great ideas!! I am curious... when using applesauce or pumpkin as a substitute for oil and/or eggs... how much do you use of each??? Example: does one egg = 1/2 cup of applesauce ??? If it doesn't taste much different ( I'd eat it either way, my family may be picky) I would just substitute with either on a regular basis.... not sure of the substitution amounts.... thanks!

PS- I LOVE pumpkin and can't wait to try the brownies.... any nutritional info?
  • joann
    Options
    I just use a small can of pumpkin (not the one with spices) with one box of low fat brownies. waalaaa you have brownies...
  • calvarado
    Options
    thanks!
  • judijames
    Options
    Both of these are from hungry-girl.com, where I find a lot of recipes and swaps. The nice thing is that all of the nutritional info is there.

Yum Yum Brownie Muffins
    (1 Muffin, or 3 minis - 181 calories, 3.5g fat, 37g carbs, 2g, fiber, 2g protein - 4 WW points)

This super-simple 2-ingredient recipe is a Weight Watchers Fave!

1 box devil’s food cake mix
    1 can solid pack pumpkin (15 oz.)

Directions:
    Mix the two ingredients together. Don't add anything else that may be mentioned on the box, such as eggs, oil, or water. The mixture will be very thick and you will be tempted to add in other things to make the batter smoother. DO NOT DO THIS AS IT WILL RUIN EVERYTHING! Place batter into muffin tins (or mini muffin tins) lined with paper, or sprayed with non-stick spray. Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes. Makes 12 regular or 36 mini muffins.

HG's Yum Yum Chocolate Cake

PER SERVING (1 slice, 1/12th of cake): 181 calories, 3.5g fat, 357mg sodium, 37g carbs, 2g fiber, 20g sugars, 2g protein -- POINTS® value 4*

Ingredients:
    One 18.25-oz. box devil's food cake mix
    One 15-oz. can pure pumpkin

Directions:
    Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Mix the two ingredients together in a bowl. Don't add anything else that may be mentioned on the box, such as eggs, oil, or water. The mixture will be very thick, so you might be tempted to add in other things to make the batter smoother. Do NOT do this! Just keep on stirring until completely mixed.

Transfer batter to a 9-inch cake pan sprayed with nonstick spray, and smooth out the top with a spatula or the back of a spoon. Place pan in the oven, and bake for 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.

Allow to cool, and then cut into 12 slices. Enjoy!

MAKES 12 SERVINGS