am jealous with you all

Options
am jealous with people here in my fitness pal. a little bit intimidated to.
seems like you all always have time an energy for working out. many people can burn more than 1000 calories a day from working out, or alocate 2 hours of their day for exercise.

i can barely make it an hour, only 20 - 45 minutes.

i really want to be like you peeps, but i never make it.

Replies

• curlygirly80
    Options
    You just got to do it. Once you start seeing and feeling the results you're gonna want to do it more and more. It's like my addiction now.
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michaels 30 day Shred and 30 day ripped. each 25 min workouts and just killer. Even an after dinner walk will do you some good.
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Don't feel like you have to do 1,000 calories a day. Just do a little more than you did yesterday. You'll get there.
  • sarahmoo12
    sarahmoo12 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    20-40 mins is still better than nothing!! and depending on what your doing you could burn a lot in that time
  • kgb6days
    kgb6days Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    Do what you can do - just DO SOMETHING! some days I cannot do anything becuase I'm too tired or have the grandchildren. But I never completely stop.
  • Nix143
    Nix143 Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Hey, don't be intimidated. For every person who is out there busting a 2 hour training session there is another person that is doing a 30 minute walk with their dog. Or a quick DVD session.

You have to think about exactly who posts on here and why they post, what motivates people to participate and to share what they are doing. There are a million different motivators.

ANY exercise is better than NO exercise. And, don't forget, there is the maxim that the most important work happens in the kitchen.

You can't compare yourself to other people - you're in this for you and with you and that's about it. It's not a competition against anyone else so don't feel discouraged when others do more, just concentrate on what you can do.

And good luck :)
  • almc170
    almc170 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Sure, you can do it. When I first started, I would set weekly mini goals for myself until I got to where I wanted to be. And you don't really need to spend 2 hours a day working out, unless you're training for something. 30-60 mins. is fine for general fitness.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    There is absolutely NO need to burn 1000 calories. And 20-40 minutes is plenty of time.

Besides all that, each and every one of us has 24 hours in a day. People don't HAVE the time to exercise, they MAKE the time. The time I spend exercising is less than the time I used to spend playing Farmville on Facebook.
  • millyvanilli321
    millyvanilli321 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Don't feel like you have to do 1,000 calories a day. Just do a little more than you did yesterday. You'll get there.

^^ This!! Don't stress out comparing yourself to other people. Just do what you can, make the most of the time you have :)
  • KAR1959
    KAR1959 Posts: 4,274 Member
    Options
    Try not to compare yourself to others. All our lives are diffrent. I try to get in 30-45 minutes but even sometimes with my work schedule I can't get that in. On days when I can I try to get 60 minutes in. Do what you can do...remember some exercise is better than nothing. Never stop!
  • hughtwalker
    hughtwalker Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    20 to 40 minutes- EVERY day? Gosh!

I am impressed and in awe.

I have a dayjob and sing with 3 choirs plus church choir so can only get to the 3 times so tend to go berserk for a couple of hours.
  • beatpig
    beatpig Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    20-45mins is fine for a workout.

Each to their own as well. My wife has less calories than me, but I exercise more. We have a child and her and I make the decision to sacrifice a little of "us" time at night to do some exercise.

Just because we've done it, doesn't mean that it is right.

There is enough pressure to focus on losing weight than to put more pressure to find time, that sometimes, we don't have. One thing at a time.
  • mcpjan
    mcpjan Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I have to say I understand what you are saying. When I started I got a exercise bike and did 5 minutes a day. That was my start. I am now up to at least an hour a day of workout. It is not all at one time. I get up early every morning now to workout for at least 45 minutes. Then at lunch I try to walk and then in the evening I try to do something. I figure anything is better than nothing. I hope this helps.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    am jealous with people here in my fitness pal. a little bit intimidated to.
    seems like you all always have time an energy for working out. many people can burn more than 1000 calories a day from working out, or alocate 2 hours of their day for exercise.

i can barely make it an hour, only 20 - 45 minutes.

i really want to be like you peeps, but i never make it.

It takes time. You can't just be awesome overnight. When I began I exercising, I for one struggled just with walking. 1 mile took over 1 hour. Also everyone's different. Some have wife/husbands/bfs/gfs/kids/jobs so they have less time to exercise. Others don't so have more time.

Also wanted to add, for those that have big calorie burns, the bigger you are the more you burn. Some people think it's great but at the same time those people usually have more weight to lose.
  • Biggipooh
    Options
    You can't really compare one persons calorie burn to another or maybe yourself. Very overweight people burn 1000 cal in 1 hour, while I would need almost 3 hours for that. Working out 3 hours everyday would be totally insane.
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    You can't compare yourself to others. Everyone has their own life and finds the time and motivation that first their lifestyle. Making it work in your life is the only way to make it a lifestyle. If all you have is 20-45 minutes than make those 20-45 minutes count! I think they are both perfectly acceptable amounts of time to exercise. Use the days you have closer to 45 minutes to do some strength training, use the 20 minutes to add some HIIT cardio and you've got yourself some great workouts! Personally, I NEVER burn 1,000 calories. I rarely even top 500. Hang in there and do what YOU can do. Don't worry about what others are saying their doing.
  • ZombieChaser
    ZombieChaser Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    There is absolutely NO need to burn 1000 calories. And 20-40 minutes is plenty of time.

Besides all that, each and every one of us has 24 hours in a day. People don't HAVE the time to exercise, they MAKE the time. The time I spend exercising is less than the time I used to spend playing Farmville on Facebook.

Quoted for excellence!
  • LADYDEBORAH1984
    LADYDEBORAH1984 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    when i'm at work i do 12 hour days so will not work out afterwards because i'm too tired, but my job is in a big, busy nursing home so i'm walking around pretty much the whole day except when feeding, so i log 2 hours walking as exercise. when i go to a carboot sale or down town shopping, i list it as exercise (slow pace walking for a couple of hours) so any thing you do can be classed as exercise, and they all add up. Im also riding my bicycle when going to some places, just making little changes here and there.
  • thrudhammer
    thrudhammer Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    We're all different, your success will be measured in the size of your caboose, not how many hours of exercise you get. I only average about half an hour a day of aerobic exercise. That's enough and, more importantly, it's all I'm going to do.

I'm a big believer in harnessing your weaknesses to turn them into strengths. I got this heavy because I have a food fetish and if it would help me to lose weight by developing an exercise fetish, well, that would be sweet irony. Unfortunately, although I love strenuous play I hate"exercise" and my reality is I will never be a gym rat. Even if I wanted to, I've got a life that I don't want to abandon - and can't.

It took me a long time to get round, it's going to take a long time to get square. I'd love for it to happen faster but what really matters is that it happens.
  • gazz777au
    gazz777au Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    working out ?

I joined MFP last year when I couldn't move.

As long as there is a calorie deficit you will lose it.

Moving is for active people .... weight loss is for anyone with too much fat to burn.

If you are able to move more it is a bonus, and certainly allows you to provide more input into where you body changes shape.

Give it a go, count calories, and be blown away by how easy it is .... if you want to.

If you choose yes, say I WILL, and apply that WILLpower, rather than WONTpower or CANTpower to this plan ... and DO IT !