Lowering carb intake on mostly non-meat diet

Options
I eat way too many carbs and just want to lower the percentage. Looking for suggestions on filling low carb meals and snacks that do not include meat

Already eating a lot of Greek yogurt
I eat fish 1-2 times a week
Typically eat 5-6 times a day trying to keep lighter on the meals (but often NOT succeeding)

Am hungry a lot and tend to run for the carbs so something that helps but lower in carbs

Apples can be helpful I know but other suggestions on small meals/snacks would be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Quinioa, tofu. nuts. seeds
  • EmmaM2211
    EmmaM2211 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    You need to replace carbs with either protein or fats so try adding some

hummous and veggie sticks
    nuts and seeds,
    avocado,
    beans & lentils

to your current meals instead of the carbs. xx
  • rachmass1
    rachmass1 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys.

Got some quoina and beans in the fridge for mid-day snack and almonds for the road. The biggest problem is most take me over on cals without doing much to satisfy the beast. Will need to break out the veggies with hummus as I tend to slather it on bread instead ;)
  • EmmaM2211
    EmmaM2211 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Higher protein will help you feel fuller than carbs. A boiled egg is another good one xx
  • rachmass1
    Options
    Higher protein will help you feel fuller than carbs. A boiled egg is another good one xx

Thanks! I used to do that but then my hubby and I watched "Forks over Knives" and he swore off eggs. I think I might have to go back to that though, as my hunger levels have increased after dropping out the eggs.
  • rachmass1
    Options
    For the record, whey protein isolate with milk lasts a total of 40 minutes before being really hungry again! So that was a heavy does of protein and some calories that didn't go very far :(
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that nearly all vegetable protein source are also fairly high carb. Peanuts, in 2 ounces, has 15g of protein and 11g of carbs.
    Soy is fine of you want to minimize hot flashes, but not as a daily protein source. The levels of vegetable estrogen in it are pretty high. Buddhist monks use soy to reduce libido. Ranchers use soy to fatten cows. Not exactly something I would consider helpful in a normal, let a alone a weight loss routine.

I use nuts more for the fat content. On swim days it is easier to make use some of the 1400 calories with peanuts or almonds and still keep my total carbs under 100g a day.