Potassium - How to get 4g a day without a supplement?

Options

Replies

• EccentricDad
    EccentricDad Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    Well unless you are talking about your nervous system, potassium isn't specifically a brain building chemical. Potassium is essential for the proper functioning of the heart, kidneys, muscles, nerves, and digestive system. Maybe I misunderstood what you mean by "hypersensitivity" in your original post. We all have to build our neurotransmitters from our diet regardless of how "happy" our lives are. Good luck.

I put a link in my OP First Post. Read the blog entry attached. I have sensory sensitivity and food sensitivity; I just figured having a sensitive demeanor (not moody or sobbing over-emotional; just subjectively minded instead of objectively) was another natural trait.

I don’t know why I am putting so much effort into this, other than nothing drives me battier than spurious research.

What is your y=f(x) equation?

Y=hypersensitivity.
    X that influences hypersensitivity=brain
    x that influence brain=neurotransmitters
    x that influences neurotransmitters=Serotonin (GABA might also be one of yours but serotonin matches your description better)
    x that influences Serotonin=L-Tryptophan

Foods that contain L-Tryptophan
    Food - potassium content
    One small orange (237mg) or one-half cup of orange juice (236mg)
    Three ounces of roasted turkey, dark meat (259mg)
    One cup of 2 percent white milk (377mg)
    One cup of low-fat (2 percent) cottage cheese (217mg)
    One cup of wheat germ (1026mg)
    Almonds 100g ( 705mg)
    Pumpkin seeds 100g (919mg)
    Soymilk (343mg)

You notice how all of these foods are high in potassium? The answer is, WHO CARES? We already know that potassium doesn’t directly influence mood function, but L-Tryptophan does!

Uh, say what? My x y huh?
    Look, I am just tired of being overwhelmed with my senses. My mood is just fine. I don't need a self medicated ssri, my moods aren't a problem (minus the fact I hate tough minded insensitive people and will fight them over the internet). So what you are perceiving as a mood disorder is really just me taking a deliberate stand against bullying (until I get ganged up on). Wanna fix my problems and use your science degree? Fix my extreme sensitivity to light and sound through diet. Can't leave house without sunglasses and can't go to noisy places because I pick up every single sound and it drives me bonkers.
  • jaygreen55
    jaygreen55 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Low sodium V8. It has 900 mg of Potassium per 8 oz because it has Potassium chloride added to make up for the lack of salty flavor. You can also buy a salt substitute called No-Salt which is pure potassium chloride. It tastes similar to salt with a slightly metallic taste and can be sprinkled on food instead of salt. I especially like it on tomatoes,cucumbers and hard boiled or scrambled eggs.

Both are relatively inexpensive
  • jaygreen55
    jaygreen55 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Potatoes are very high in potassium--it's mostly in the skin so make sure you're eating that.

Winter squash, dried apricots, lentils... All good, too.
  • Sixalicious
    Sixalicious Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Interesting post. Thanks for sharing.
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    Try the Bolt House Farms Juices - I can't remember which one specifically that has tons of potassium in but all of them have a good amount per serving. You can go to the website and check the nutrients out on there. They don't taste bad either.

http://bolthouse.com/our-products

I hope this helps some. Best of luck to you!! :smile:
  • BlackTimber
    BlackTimber Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    High potassium foods

Apricots
    Artichokes
    Avocados
    Bananas
    Beets
    Brussels sprouts
    Chard
    Dates
    Greens (beet, collard)
    Honeydew melon
    Nectarines
    Okra
    Oranges/orange juice
    Parsnips
    Potatoes
    Prunes/prune juice
    Pumpkin
    Sweet potatoes
    Spinach
    Tomatoes/tomato juice
    Vegetable juice
  • BlackTimber
    Options
    Food: Potassium (milligrams)

Potato, baked including skin, small 738

White beans, ½ cup 595

Yogurt, nonfat, plain 579

Sweet Potato, baked with skin, medium 542

Orange juice, 1 cup 496

Halibut, cooked, 3 ounces 490

Soybeans, cooked, ½ cup 485

Cod, cooked, 3 ounces 439

Banana, 1 medium 422

Spinach, cooked, ½ cup 370-419

Tomato sauce, ½ cup 405

Milk, skim, 1 cup 382

Apricots, dried, ¼ cup 378

Soy milk, 1 cup 372

Kidney beans, cooked, ½ cup 358
  • BlackTimber
    Options
    Here’s some easy ways to pump up your daily potassium:

Pour an 8-ounce glass of orange juice at breakfast to begin your day with a potassium boost.
    Add leafy greens to all your sandwiches. Spinach in particular is a potassium dynamo!
    Add dried apricots to your mid-morning yogurt for a one, two (apricots and dairy) potassium punch.
    Have bean soup with your lunchtime sandwich for a warm way to enjoy your potassium.
    Baked regular or sweet potatoes are potassium powerhouses on your dinner plate
  • BringingSherriBack
    Options
    V8 juice
    bananas
    orange juice
    potatoes
  • HeatherSLosinIt
    HeatherSLosinIt Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I take a supplement. You can find a basic one at Walmart for 1.98 for a 60 day supply. The one I take is a natural water pill. No caffeine etc and helps with water retention, which is a problem for me.
  • julieh391
    julieh391 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    I take a supplement. You can find a basic one at Walmart for 1.98 for a 60 day supply. The one I take is a natural water pill. No caffeine etc and helps with water retention, which is a problem for me.

What are you taking?
  • Brianabomb
    Brianabomb Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Bump- to re read at a later time.
  • raeleek
    raeleek Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    Low sodium V8! I drink it daily and it has helped me a lot with muscle cramps and mild dizziness.
  • esheri168
    Options
    Also, adzuki beans - 1224 mg in a cup! You can get them in an Asian store that sells chinese products. They're the red beans that chinese desserts are also made from.
  • robinschwalb
    robinschwalb Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    thank you for the post on potassium.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I read something that people who has sensory over-stimultation (overwhelmed easily by noise, lights, sounds, tastes, etc), sensitive temperament, and hyperactive tendencies not only benefit from a low sugar and sodium diet, but they also benefit from getting enough Potassium because of an odd imbalance due to genetics. They said that if all "-caine" drugs don't do much to you without huge doses (like novacaine at the dentist office) then you likely have this form of sensitivity that could benefit from increasing Potassium. So I thought "what the hell, might as well try" and now I'm on an adventure to get Potassium in my diet.

According to the World Healthiest Foods website, legumes and green veggies are the best ways to do it. But I can't eat legumes (they wreck havoc in my stomach - except PB but that's expected since it is the lowest with resistant starches) and dark green veggies are difficult to eat EVERY DAY (but bananas aren't)....

So I need to know, does anyone know any good ways to get Potassium up on a budget without taking supplements (though I will consider this venue too because it may be my only option)?

Link to World Healthiest Foods About Potassium:
    http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=nutrient&dbid=90

Link to study for credibility:
    http://stephaniesarkis.com/blog/?p=156
    (note: she has a ph.d so looks legit to me)

Actually, white potatoes are one of the best sources. About 900 mg. per 100 grams of potato.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    I use V8 juice...900mg per 8oz. My other main source...baked potatoes.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    Well unless you are talking about your nervous system, potassium isn't specifically a brain building chemical. Potassium is essential for the proper functioning of the heart, kidneys, muscles, nerves, and digestive system. Maybe I misunderstood what you mean by "hypersensitivity" in your original post. We all have to build our neurotransmitters from our diet regardless of how "happy" our lives are. Good luck.

I put a link in my OP First Post. Read the blog entry attached. I have sensory sensitivity and food sensitivity; I just figured having a sensitive demeanor (not moody or sobbing over-emotional; just subjectively minded instead of objectively) was another natural trait.

I don’t know why I am putting so much effort into this, other than nothing drives me battier than spurious research.

What is your y=f(x) equation?

Y=hypersensitivity.
    X that influences hypersensitivity=brain
    x that influence brain=neurotransmitters
    x that influences neurotransmitters=Serotonin (GABA might also be one of yours but serotonin matches your description better)
    x that influences Serotonin=L-Tryptophan

Foods that contain L-Tryptophan
    Food - potassium content
    One small orange (237mg) or one-half cup of orange juice (236mg)
    Three ounces of roasted turkey, dark meat (259mg)
    One cup of 2 percent white milk (377mg)
    One cup of low-fat (2 percent) cottage cheese (217mg)
    One cup of wheat germ (1026mg)
    Almonds 100g ( 705mg)
    Pumpkin seeds 100g (919mg)
    Soymilk (343mg)

You notice how all of these foods are high in potassium? The answer is, WHO CARES? We already know that potassium doesn’t directly influence mood function, but L-Tryptophan does!

It is important to note that some people have trouble converting L-Tryptophan to 5-HTP (the precursor of serotonin) and they will need to take a 5-HTP supplement. It is available at most health food stores. The store employees will be able to guide you to a reliable manufacturer. BUT, it is very important that you NOT take 5-HTP while taking SSRIs (Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors--like Prozac) as you can get too much serotonin that way.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    Low sodium V8! I drink it daily and it has helped me a lot with muscle cramps and mild dizziness.

Yes, it is a low-cal, low-sugar source of potassium! The problem I have with it is that I would love it if they packed it in glass instead of plastic bottles or plastic-lined metal cans. The acid in the tomato juice accelerates the leaching of plastisizers into the tomato juice and they act as estrogenic compounds in the body. :frown: