Another Calorie Question...

Shrimpy
Shrimpy Posts: 14
edited September 20 in Food and Nutrition
Hi guys, this is my first post so bear with me please if this has been asked a zillion times before.

I've done a lot of reading over the past couple of days of other people's posts but I'm still al ittle bit confused with regards to the calories MFP has allocated me and the calories of my BMR. I've been allocated 1200kcals (which I guess mot people get put on at first), it calculated my BMR (I know this is a very rough calculation) as just over 1550kcals. For maximum results should I go with the 1200 or 1550? I want this to be a forever change so don't want to screw things up from the get go. Any help would be greatly appreciated :o)

Thanks
x

Replies

• SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Without knowing your numbers and history in depth, we can't even begin to make that judgment. BUT I will say this, I can deduce that because you only want to lose 35 lbs, and that you're 26 years old and female with a BMR of 1550, that you probably put yourself on a 2 lb a week goal (considering that MFP set your goal calories at 1200), that's probably going to be a bit too aggressive for you. Remember what BMR is, it's what your body needs to burn just to function, not counting any (and I mean ANY) activity. I.E. if you were in a coma, you would burn slightly above your BMR. That being the case, and assuming you really do only need to lose 35 lbs, I'd say that trying to eat less than your BMR is going to give you less than optimal results and can leave you feeling weak and/or hungry.

just MHO since I don't have any other numbers to work from.

Hope this helps.

-Banks
  • abatres7
    abatres7 Posts: 146
    so I use what I read in one of the biggest loser books....to eat for the goal weight. For example, I want to be at 160lbs. Then I would eat 1600 calories a day plus any I gain for exercising. If I wanted to weigh 150lbs...then I would eat 1500 calories. Let me tell you....there is so much to know and different advice from everyone. I have found that it boils down to basic math. Calories in versus calories out, and each 1lb is 3500 calories. I have done great, and I stay away from the whole eat this way or take this and all the bs.... I just stick to calories. Sometimes my calories come from restaurant or fast food and sometimes they are great healthy vegetables. In either case, I just make sure I stick with the 1600 calories a day.
  • Shrimpy
    Thanks Banks,

I'm 5"3 and weigh 175.5lbs I want to get to 140lbs (to start with) so that I am at a much healthier weight. If after that I decide I could do with losing a little more then fine but my main goal is to feel healthy and not just be a slim jim no matter the cost. My aim is to drop 2 dress sizes (UK16 to a UK12) by my hubby's 30th birthday which is June 29th which I know will be down to more than just diet but exercise too. If I can get my head around my calorie intake I can hopefully get confident that I'm on the right track which will then motivate me further :o) If any other info would help answer this then please just ask.
  • Shrimpy
    so I use what I read in one of the biggest loser books....to eat for the goal weight. For example, I want to be at 160lbs. Then I would eat 1600 calories a day plus any I gain for exercising. If I wanted to weigh 150lbs...then I would eat 1500 calories. Let me tell you....there is so much to know and different advice from everyone. I have found that it boils down to basic math. Calories in versus calories out, and each 1lb is 3500 calories. I have done great, and I stay away from the whole eat this way or take this and all the bs.... I just stick to calories. Sometimes my calories come from restaurant or fast food and sometimes they are great healthy vegetables. In either case, I just make sure I stick with the 1600 calories a day.

Good grief that sounds like a much simpler way of doing things although no sciency bit behind it ... :o)
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Thanks Banks,

I'm 5"3 and weigh 175.5lbs I want to get to 140lbs (to start with) so that I am at a much healthier weight. If after that I decide I could do with losing a little more then fine but my main goal is to feel healthy and not just be a slim jim no matter the cost. My aim is to drop 2 dress sizes (UK16 to a UK12) by my hubby's 30th birthday which is June 29th which I know will be down to more than just diet but exercise too. If I can get my head around my calorie intake I can hopefully get confident that I'm on the right track which will then motivate me further :o) If any other info would help answer this then please just ask.

MMM, 5'3" 175, you MIGHT be able to get away with 2 lbs a week for a little while, but with your short stature, you should be re-evaluating about every 6 or 7 lbs or so. Also, don't be surprised if it DOESN'T work for you, if it doesn't I would boost up your cals by 100 or so (it takes at least a month to know if it's working). You are just about where I was when I first began my journey, just barely into the unhealthy category (I know, it's crazy sounding, it's just a number though, don't worry about it) BMI of about 31 or so, although BMI's a terrible way to track your weight. abatres is right in one respect, calories in vs. calories out is important. But I wouldn't say it's the whole game. I value nutrition just as much as I value calories. Put it this way, losing weight is great, but you want to make sure you're also keeping your body healthy in the process. 1200 (or what ever) calories in twinkies is not as good for you as 1200 calories of a balanced healthy diet including whole grains, lean protein, some dairy, and good fats.

Get my drift?
  • Shrimpy
    Thanks very much! If I stick too rigidly to calorie intake I'll become overly obsessed so I will aim for 1200-1500. I really don't want to become obsessed with calorie counting, been there, done that and it makes shrimpy a nut case! :) I'll log my food so I can then look back if things start going a bit Pete Tong.
    I made the switch to wholegrains a while ago as processed white foods irritate my IBS and have stocked up on healthy natural cook books so fingers crossed this is the way forward.
    Thanks Again!
This discussion has been closed.