It all falls apart at dinner time..

Options
Does anyone else struggle with counting calories at dinner time? I do so good during the day when I've made my meals, and as much as I love when my husband surprises me by making dinner, it all falls apart when I don't know how much of what he put in the meal. On these nights, I usually try to just have a small amount of what I'm not sure of, and appropriate amounts of what I know is safe.

:ohwell:

Replies

• lisawest
    lisawest Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    You can try inputting the meal information into a recipe calculator. It'll then tell you the nutrion info. If you can't get an exact count, at least it'll get you close! Here's one to try http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-calculator.asp
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    Can he not provide you an estimate of what he's cooked and what's gone in it? Does he cook following recipes that you can use?

That's a toughie. Never wanna turn down a good meal a man has cooked for you!
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Wish I could help. I log all my dinners, two weeks at a time, into MFP, and plan everything else around them. Hubby usually does the cooking on the weekends. Simplifies everything.
  • fowlmeli1093
    Options
    I have somewhat of the same problem. Its just that I don't seem to "care" as much at dinner time...I feel less motivated at night than during the day...
  • averys7
    averys7 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have that problem ALL THE TIME! So frustrating! I can't say that I'm an expert at it but here's what I do.
    1. Use a small dinner/salad plate
    2. Fill it up 1/2 way with veggies, 1/4 w/ meat, 1/4 w/ starch
    3. Leave something left on your plate.
    4. Eat sugar free pudding or jello or something like that for dessert.

I know I tend to re-fill my plate especially if it is really good...it is so hard after doing so good all day. I swear my husband is like a bottomless pit! Good Luck! Sara
  • pelizares
    pelizares Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am having the same problem. When I do the receipe calc. do I add each ingredient???
  • cattiemac
    cattiemac Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    What I find helps is to add in EVERYTHING I plan on eating for the day in the morning. That way I know how many calories are left over for the evening. It really helps me stay on track ...

Regarding figuring out calories for recipes I suggest inputting them into a tracker so that you know how much each dish is. A god one to try is www.sparkrecipes.com. I use it all the time. Entering a recipe is pretty tedious but then it's saved to your profile for easy access.
  • kalmf
    kalmf Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I completely empathize because I'm in deep doo-doo here. I have just been trying to observe my diary to see the patterns. I was consistently over by about 300 calories (goal 1200) so I really upped the exercise - I have a pile of mulch which adds up to about 25 calories a wheel barrow load.. So I shovel away, thinking I'll earn enough credits to catch up, but then I spend the earned calories on wine and goat cheese. I am fine until exactly 7pm and then I get anxious and it all falls apart - pushing me way over every day. Then I got clever and decided I would just add an extra 200 calories to my goal to make it more realistic. Well of course I still went over by 300 and then a bunch more for good measure. Oy.

So. What the heck am I going to and what am I willing to do realistically. My thoughts are: Start taking B vitamins in the afternoon to give me a little more energy in the evening. 2. Find some activity in the early evening to keep me away from computer, tv, food and wine. 3.???? oh I don't know - grow up, maybe.
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    I also complete my food diary in the morning. It's easier to be prepared & have meals planned (and know you have the ingredients at home for those meals). If I don't know what I have at home to eat and don't have anything planned, it will fall apart as soon as I walk in from work because I start grazing on stuff trying to decide what to eat.

Talk to your husband & explain your issue. Tell him that you LOVE the fact he's cooking for you and ask what you can do to make it easier for him to cook meals you can log accurately. Good old fashioned communication. :wink:
  • jennbarrette
    jennbarrette Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I just do a guesstimate. Like if I am at someone's house and they make lasagna, I search "homemade lasagna" and enter one in. I know that recipes differ, but if it is just every once in a while, it wont make a huge difference.
  • tearose
    tearose Posts: 94
    Options
    I completely empathize because I'm in deep doo-doo here. I have just been trying to observe my diary to see the patterns. I was consistently over by about 300 calories (goal 1200) so I really upped the exercise - I have a pile of mulch which adds up to about 25 calories a wheel barrow load.. So I shovel away, thinking I'll earn enough credits to catch up, but then I spend the earned calories on wine and goat cheese. I am fine until exactly 7pm and then I get anxious and it all falls apart - pushing me way over every day. Then I got clever and decided I would just add an extra 200 calories to my goal to make it more realistic. Well of course I still went over by 300 and then a bunch more for good measure. Oy.

So. What the heck am I going to and what am I willing to do realistically. My thoughts are: Start taking B vitamins in the afternoon to give me a little more energy in the evening. 2. Find some activity in the early evening to keep me away from computer, tv, food and wine. 3.???? oh I don't know - grow up, maybe.

Ive had similiar problems myself and found if i have my bigger meal at lunch then have a lunch sized meal for dinner..which usually consists of a meat and salad...and if i snack at all in the evening i provide myself with a little fruit salad or an assortment of my favorite veggies use a salsa for a dip! This strategy has been successful so far..