Help please. I can't get any replies!

Options
Can someone help me?? I had my gallbladder out 3 weeks ago and I've been tracking and watching my food closely since. I've been sticking to very low fat diet but I want to get into a range that will help me lose more weight. I've lost 12 lbs since surgery, but I've stalled. (I did slip this past weekend when someone brought zucchini bread, oops).

Aside from low fat, I want to watch carbs and protein as well but I don't know how. What should my ratio (the daily goal numbers at the bottom of my diary be and how do I figure them out?

Replies

• jessicawrites
    jessicawrites Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Talk to your doctor.
  • karrathachick
    karrathachick Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Go to 'my home' then 'goals' then 'change goals'. You can choose' guided' version and it can help you set goals for nutrition & fitness etc. Hope that helps :-)
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Take a deep breath and relax! You've lost 12 pounds in 3 weeks after surgery - that is amazing and something to feel really proud about, not something you should be stressing about!! A healthy weight loss is 1-2 pounds per week and a higher expectation is just not realistic or healthy and won't likely lead to long term loss. Actually - assuming your ticker is for your total loss and not just a short term goal, 1/2 to 1 pound per week would even be pretty good.

As to your question with ratios - there are some differnt opinions but I like 30% protein, 50% carbs and 20% fat. Although since you're on a specific diet due to your gallbladder removal, I agree that you should check with your doctor.
  • StarLeopard
    StarLeopard Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Go to 'my home' then 'goals' then 'change goals'. You can choose' guided' version and it can help you set goals for nutrition & fitness etc. Hope that helps :-)

Thanks for that! :flowerforyou:
  • jastori
    Options
    Going low fat is not the answer. Fat is an extrememly important nutrient responsible for many functions in the body. Think of it this way, would you be so concerned with the amount of fat you eat if it was called something different? What if it was called TAF? there would be no mental connection on body fat vs. nutritional fat.

The answer is a well balanced diet consisting of all macro nutrients - carbs, protein, and fat. The first step is to determine you caloric baseline. This is the amount of calories you burn by doing nothing - just by being alive. Subtract 500 and you get your starting caloric requirements for dieting.

The follwoiung is a matter of opinion, but it is what I use and it works for me....Of these calories, assign 50% to carbs, 30% to protein, and 20% to fat.

For example, and this is a rough calculation - if you are 180lbs i would put your maintenance calories at 2700 (180x15)

Starting diet would be 2200 calories for a healthy 1lb loss per week.

Using the above guidelines that equates to 275g Carbs, 165g Protein, and 49g of Fat. Let's say 50g to make it easy.

I hope that helps.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Assuming 1600 calories a day and low fat for medical reasons you could try 100g of protein (400 calories), 30g of fat (270 calories) and 233g of carbs (930 calories) which is 25 / 17 / 58 or maybe push the protein up to 30 or 35 and take 5 or 10 off the carbs.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/change_goals_custom
  • Heather_Rider
    Heather_Rider Posts: 1,159 Member
    Options
    Gallbladder surgery takes 6 weeks to heal from. Maintain a HEALTHY diet until you are released from doctors care. Its really important.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    You had surgery three weeks ago, have lost twelve pounds since, and you think you've "stalled"? Why??
  • trtmom
    trtmom Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your help and suggestions!!