What do you feed a 14 yo boy?

Options

Replies

• FammaMel
    FammaMel Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    My 15 year old son comes home from football everyday, eats supper (usually two helpings) and then about an hour or so later is 'starving'. I make sure I always have apples on hand. These seem to do the trick. I also make my own protein bars and give him those. He thinks the chocolate ones are brownies. :)

They are bottomless pits so just keep healthy foods on hand and plenty of it.
  • mvl1014
    mvl1014 Posts: 531
    Options
    Having been a 14 year old boy:

Anything tasty.

My weight problem didn't happen until around 20. It's completely normal for teenagers to go through this. My wife would eat a whole pizza at dinner. She's 5'3 115lb. Her dad would let her order the biggest steak at a restaurant just to joke with people; and she'd finish it.

I will say this, don't give him prepackaged crap if it grows out of the ground or has to be slaughtered, it's okay. Also, tell him he can have whatever he wants as long as he cooks it himself, otherwise he gets what you make.
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    cereal is fantastic - mine is 13 and eats loads. For supper he normally has porridge or weetabix or rounds of toast.
  • auria17
    auria17 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Lot's of protein rich foods, and good carbs, and if you can get him to, veggies & fruits. Make sure while he is going through the growing spurts that he gets extra rest. They have done a few studies on teen's and they really do need to sleep more than 8 hours a day during those years.
  • MsDandimite
    MsDandimite Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    ALOT.
    ALOT.png
    They are very filling. ;)

I'm having the same atm. Teach him to bake good bread, that's what I'm trying to do. :) Egg sandwiches are cheap and filling. I also taught my son to make protein (whey) shakes with added greens and fruit for when he's ravenous. They seem to fill him up well.
  • sarahharmintx
    sarahharmintx Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    My mom tells this story:

When she was growing up, her mom would make 2 chickens and put them on the table. One was for mom, dad and her. The other was for her older brother.
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    Make what you normally have for dinner but at least twice as much or more depending how tall he is - he may eat 4ths...lol Just make sure he gets plenty full at dinner and keep healthy snacks (not sugary) for PM snacks. - I have a 19yr old who is over 6ft and that is how I would feed him. lol :happy:
  • staciw
    staciw Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I have three young boys. A friend of mine gave me a tip for the future that she currently uses. On Sunday night, she makes a big casserole (chicken and broccoli, lasagna, etc) and then puts it in the fridge just for him. During the week, when her 14 year old gets hungry, he goes in and spoons out what he wants. Keeps her from having to short order cook and keeps him full. I thought it was a great idea.
  • lmdee73
    Options
    Mine eats everything and then more.

Not really sure what to suggest, except offering more than a normal human of his size might be able to eat.

Example - mine will pour a whole box of cereal into a salad bowl, cover with milk, and eat it. All.

I have a couple of those in my house. Makes keeping the pantry stocked a little difficult! =P
  • allijoy13
    allijoy13 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Nuts are great. My kids enjoy lara bars - fruit and nuts together.
  • robin820
    robin820 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Most meals I let my kids eat seconds, until their full, I keep a jar full of snacks available. I have a friend who keeps a bowl full of fruit and veges out and tells her kids if they are hungry they can eat as many as they like. Works for them.
    But we also dont want to teach our kids to just eat eat eat. Once in a while, I make my kids eat a serving and then stop. I do not feed them seconds. That way my kids will learn what they should really be eating someday.

May sound mean and may make me a mean mom, but I will help stop child obesity! >:O) (my kids are toothpicks and so was I as a kid into college, now look at me.) :O(
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    All my boys have been rail thin at 14 (I have one that's 14 now and my two oldest are 19 & 21). They ate whatever they wanted usually. We always have stuff for them to pack for lunch, and it's up to them what they take. The good news is, they have all been very body/health conscious at this age and exercise a LOT. Current 14 yo is in to martial arts and works out 6 days a week. 19 year old was "mr athlete" and kept trim & muscular. 21 year old was a distance runner. So, I didn't stress over the amount of calories they ate. But we always emphasize healthy foods over the "snack" foods.

I hope my daughter (13) catches on. . . she's NOT active and loves her junk food (much like her momma at that age). My 6 year old is an eating machine, too, but he's super active.

Just load up on reasonably tasty, healthy foods and let him eat when he's hungry.
  • OK_Girl
    OK_Girl Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    ALOT.
    ALOT.png
    They are very filling. ;)

I'm having the same atm. Teach him to bake good bread, that's what I'm trying to do. :) Egg sandwiches are cheap and filling. I also taught my son to make protein (whey) shakes with added greens and fruit for when he's ravenous. They seem to fill him up well.

HA HA HA HA !!!!! The alot monster, Thanks I needed that.
    have you read the sneaky hate spiral?
  • thechubner
    thechubner Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    My son is 10 but I can get him to snack on hummus with carrot sticks, celary sticks, and cucumber / zuchini sticks - celary has a stronger flavor, so he wont' always go for those. I will also give him slices of apple, carrots and celary with natural peanut butter, cashew butter, or almond butter (sometimes mixed with a little honey) - he likes that and it's pretty healthy. If there is potato chips and snack cakes, ofc as a kid he'll go for those, but if those things aren't in the house he eats the healthy options and really enjoys them. Another thing I'll do is make a little low fat Chicken / tuna salad and serve it with celary or whole wheat crackers / matzah. He likes that too. To make a healthier chicken / tuna salad I just ditch the mayo all together and make a mixture of avocado / greek yogurt - someetimes I'll add a little garlic powder, chili powder, and cumin - blend it together and mix it with the meat - and it's really quite tasty
  • edge_dragoncaller
    edge_dragoncaller Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    The souls of the slain.

LOL! Just because he eats like a demon doesn't mean he is one.
  • GeneaSwan
    GeneaSwan Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    how about making your own beef jerky? with some air popped pop corn and lots of water as after school snacks.
  • hellohappylisa
    hellohappylisa Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    ALOT.
    Hahahaha pretty much!

Meatballs aka lots of veggies with a meat coating, are pretty awesome!
  • MdmAcolyte
    MdmAcolyte Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Lol ~ the rule in our house, is if you are still hungry after dinner ~ there's leftovers. Anything beyond that, you cook it or get it yourself. I budget $20 per kid to buy their own "snacks" for the week and they keep things on their own shelf in a storage locker. One kid likes to buy no snacks and stashes the money for cash, and the other uses half to go skating and the other half to splurge on ice cream. My vegetarian daughter would buy the stuff I wouldn't buy "just for her" and I have another son who buys his protein bars, etc. with it. My husband gets a $30 snack budget and splurges on cheese, crackers, and k-cup coffees. It works for us. :)
  • RedHatPatti
    RedHatPatti Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Have healthy "taco meat" (turkey) in the fridge and healthy tortillas (La Banderita ..2 = 60 cals-fajita size)...
    FRUIT?? ANY and all
    I like the idea of having HIM make a list of everything HE likes ..then switch up what you have in the house each week or two to give
    variety.
    Popcorn-- try sprinkling with cinnamon /sweetner for a change.. or get some "Sprinkle on" cheese .. for something different and not so fattening..
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I think about the only thing you can do with a 14 year old boy is make sure there's a ton of healthy food in the house (and only a little of the un-healthy). They will eat, and they get so hungry they will eat whatever is there and ready to eat.

Oh my - I can't imagine the grocery bill when my son hits that age, LOL!