Looking for low cal tailgate ideas

Options
I'm going tailgating tomorrow and looking for low-cal ideas/ recipes!!

Replies

• MeccaLoves2Sleep
    MeccaLoves2Sleep Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I hear ya!! I've got a rowdy group of friends that love to cook delicious grindz and drink beer before the game...

Basically I've been substituing-- carrots for chips (and enjoying all the dips), baked chicken fingers instead of chicken wings. Sub-ing yougurt for philly cream cheese or sour cream. zucchini instead of potato skins... etc.

I also save up my calories in the earlier part of the day in preparation.

I think potlucks, BBQs, and game day pigouts are the thing I miss most!
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    how about chili, chicken nuggets (you bake them instead of frying),

not really a tailgate item but last week i made apple cups (granny smith apple, won ton wrappers and a slice of either low fat cheddar or goat's milk brie) and hubby LOVED THEM.

cut up apples into bite size pieces, spray frying pan (or a pat of butter - half a tablespoon is really all you need if you use butter), fav spices (i used chinese 5 spice and hubby loved it), 1/4 teaspoon salt cook until soft set aside to cool. place 2 won ton wrappers in each cupcake pan mold, scoop cooled apples into mold, top with 1 oz of cheese. bake 350 for 7/8 minutes until won ton wrappers are browned (i think i turned the broiler on for a bit too just to brown the cheese). enjoy!

how about making your own pizza (whole wheat pizza dough, crushed tomatoes, basil, fresh mozzarella). i buy my dough at trader joes - 8 oz makes 2 pizzas. yummy.
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    Vodka or Whiskey
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    You're up north so Chili might be a good option.
    Corn tortilla chips and salsa isn't so bad, either.

curbing your cals today and drinking more water can help also. I've tried the zig zag method for awhile and it has really helped over the holiday seasons
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    IF you're one who believes in smaller portions throughout the day, I would say go for an S-10, much smaller than a Silverado tailgate, but still filling so you don't feel like you're really missing anything.
  • ScarletFyre
    ScarletFyre Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Astacia74
    Astacia74 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    My fiance and I do chicken satay and veggie skewers...just have to do a little bit of prep work the night before but, it is delicious and healthy. Not to mention, we usually end up sharing with the people around us that are drawn by the lovely smell :drinker:

Here's an easy recipe: http://buffalobuffet.wordpress.com/2008/07/10/hit-me-with-your-chicken-stick-chicken-sate-indonesian-style/
  • lamilli09
    lamilli09 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I love this taco bite recipe for gamedays and potlucks. It's not the healthiest but it beats pizza or a burger and fries :)

If you serve five people with this recipe (four taco bites per serving), the basic nutritional info is 246 calories per serving; 17 carbs; 13 fat; 16 protein; 416 sodium; 1 sugar.
    http://pearls-handcuffs-happyhour.blogspot.com/2011/12/bite-sized-brilliance.html

Be warned -- you will not get a whole serving of these babies... they will be gone before you can blink twice :D haha
  • kmhamilton6
    kmhamilton6 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Or enjoy yourself

A light beer
    Diet coke and rum
    2 chicken wings and salad
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    My fiance and I do chicken satay and veggie skewers...just have to do a little bit of prep work the night before but, it is delicious and healthy. Not to mention, we usually end up sharing with the people around us that are drawn by the lovely smell :drinker:

Here's an easy recipe: http://buffalobuffet.wordpress.com/2008/07/10/hit-me-with-your-chicken-stick-chicken-sate-indonesian-style/

YES! That sounds awesome! Eating meat and veggies off a stick is also loads of fun! :bigsmile: