Exercises to focus on up until ACL reconstruction?

Options
So yesterday I found out I tore my ACL...what I thought was a simple dislocation (happens all the time) was definitely not the case..

Any-who, I'm just wondering if anyone has tips for upper body exercises I can do that won't involve my knee & some exercises that I can do to work my uninjured leg.

(& for anyone who is going to suggest I see a physical therapist - i already am. that focuses on my injury, not the rest of me. i'm not going to use this as an excuse to not be just as active as i was before it happened, my activities just need to be modified)

Thanks in advance! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• navywife5810
    navywife5810 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    No one?

Should I post this in a different section? :huh:
  • atomicpoppy
    Options
    Could you do things like seated yoga routines, upper body strength training, or even shadow boxing (seated if necessary)?
  • navywife5810
    navywife5810 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    as long as it doesn't involve pivoting or twisting of my knee, i can do it
  • WABeachWalker
    WABeachWalker Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I will be having a torn meniscus repaired (right knee) in November, so I know a little bit about what you're dealing with.

If you belong to a gym, ask for one of the trainers to help you "work around" your injury. They are trained to do this and can be pretty beneficial now and during your recovery. If you can do Pilates through your gym, these exercises can also work around injuries. Mr. Pilates designed his exercises to work around a dancing injury that sidelined him for a time. As always, get the nod from your doctor first so that you don't aggravate your condition. Best wishes for your complete and speedy recovery!
  • bvav5408
    bvav5408 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    you have to try to get the quad and hamstring as strong as possible. With either leg extensions and hamstring curls. use light weight but keep working those muscles. once you have surgery your leg muscles will atrophy (get small/weaker) hope this helps
  • Beleg
    Beleg Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Having ACL surgery 2 times Once on right knee and again on left knee. It all depends on your doctor. First time they had me do physical therapy to strengthen all my leg muscles before surgery. after surgery it took me 1 full year before I was able to start running again. second time no exercising to strengthen leg muscles and I was running 6 months after. I know everyone is different and you should consult your doctor.