Camping meal ideas?

Options
Going camping this weekend- any ideas?

Replies

• Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal is nice for breakfast if you have access to a way to get hot water you can use the 'minute' oats and add all kinds of fruit to it (dried fruit if you can't bring fresh)

What do you mean by camping exactly..are we talking 'RV with fridge / stove/ TV' camping or tent and dry goods only camping? Need to be a little more specific so that people know what they have to work with. For example will you have a cooler or a way to keep things refrigerated? Can you have a fire? Use a camp stove? or do you need things that have to be eaten cold? how long are you going? Details... hehe
  • Cyngen
    Cyngen Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Anything you can grill is great.

What I do is make foil dinners.

Take aluminum foil, add to it your favorite meat (I like ground chuck or turkey to each foil dinner pack, about 4oz), add in your choice of veggies. Close up the top and one side. Before closing the last side, add about 1/2 cup of water to keep things moist.

Half hour on the grill or camp fire in medium heat and you have your meal.

I also use the 'pudgy pie' makers to make breakfast or a desert over the fire. Two slices of bread, can add eggs or other items for breakfast. For a treat, add fruit and heat up over the fire.
  • Angie_1991
    Angie_1991 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    oatmeal, chicken, turkey, lean hamburger or ground turkey......
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    we always do kebabs. Make them beforehand, throw them on skewers, they will marinate while they're in the cooler and then throw them on the grill. Perfect
  • RickBriggs
    Options
    Go to Trader Joe's and get some of the dry packaged ready-to-go meals (they have some great Indian ones) and just add fresh veggies or fruits or throw in a dead animal if you have to.
  • hiker359
    hiker359 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    foil dinners + camping = heaven!

Oh, and don't forget about s'mores! If you've been out hiking all day, a s'more is the ultimate after-dinner treat!
  • Capt_Chev
    Capt_Chev Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    My fav camping desert:

Orange flavoured cinnamon rolls

http://www.trulysimple.com/2010/06/orange-rolls-cooked-orange/

9+orange+cup+cinnamon+rolls.JPG

:) Delicious!!
  • Cyngen
    Cyngen Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    foil dinners + camping = heaven!

Oh, and don't forget about s'mores! If you've been out hiking all day, a s'more is the ultimate after-dinner treat!

Ditto on the s'mores. How could I have forgotten :D
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    We just went camping last weekend. Have a great time.
  • Live4More
    Live4More Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Pocket dinners! Learned about them in Girl Scouts and we still make them when we go camping. Use heavy aluminum foil, put everything in, add a little salt & pepper, wrap tightly, cook on grill or in coals. Had the stats in my MFP recipe:

Generic - Chicken Breast , 5 oz 142 0 3 27
    Potatoes - White, flesh and skin, baked, 1 potato large (3" to 4-1/4" dia) 281 63 0 6
    Vegetable - Baby Carrots, 3 oz. 35 8 0 1
    Onions - Dehydrated flakes, 0.33 tbsp 6 1 0 0
    Kikkoman - Teryaki Sauce (Less Sodium), 2 tblsp (15mL) 30 6 0 2
    Add Ingredient
    Total: 494 78 3 36
    Per Serving: 494 78 3 36
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    Have fun! We camp at least 6 weeks out of the year and love foil dinners. Use any lean meat, add veggies, mushrooms & anything else you love. Eat it out of the foil and toss/recycle the dishes! Our fav is lean hamburger, diced sweet potatoes, sweet onions and red peppers. If you use very lean hamburger or turkey, mix the diced veggies in with the meat like you would for meatloaf, it'll be more tender.
    Fish fillets are good this way too but we use brown rice, lemon and veggies. Delish!
  • chelledawg14
    chelledawg14 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    I'm going camping, too! I'm taking multi-grain lite bread, turkey pepperoni and tyson sausage crumbles for our "mountain pie pizza", thing sliced ham and turkey for other "mountain pie" sandwiches. I precook everything at home so all I have to do is reheat it over the fire rather than cooking it in grease over the fire and adding massive calories. I'll even cook my bacon in the oven before we go so I'm not tempted to cook it all in bacon grease later... lol. Last time we went, I boiled up pierogies at home then added onion, garlic and some nathans 97% fat free hot dogs to them over the fire and it was yummy. Oh, and for beer around the campfire - we go to the winery and I get a bottle of yummy blackberry wine or I'll drink Miller 64. I'm also sure to pack some fiber one brownies, a protein bar or two, and multi-grain pringles, almonds to get my protein and ward off thoughts of hunger. Whatever food I take, I calculate the calories in everything before we go so I'm not trying to do it while I'm at camp. Hope you have a great time and thanks for the post. I'll be checking back to see other folks ideas. One other one I forgot is cherry pie filling and apples for me to also make in the mountain pie makers (I'll use the same multi-graine lite bread for 35 cals a slice). I use spray instead of oil and everything turns out just fine.
  • Kamikazeflutterby
    Kamikazeflutterby Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    For open fire:
    Seconding the kabobs idea. You can freeze your meat in the marinade and use it when it thaws the second day.
    Anything that can be wrapped in foil and cooked near the fire. Baked potatoes and hobo pie are classics. I want to try a variation with chicken and sliced bell pepper and zucchini.

For stove:
    Anything you can cook at home on a stove top, do as much prep at home as you can. Camping food can be seriously tasty.
    Frozen pasta skillets. Watch all the people eating cold canned pasta drool with envy.
    If you have a tiny stove, instant mashed potatoes make a great side dish because you can put one good sized frying pan for your main dish on one burner and use the other to boil a little water to pour over the potato flakes.

And some camping-specific recipes:
    http://allrecipes.com/howto/camping/detail.aspx?e11=banana smores&e8=Quick Search&event10=1&event8=1&prop24=SR_Showcase&e7=Home Page
  • jaireed
    jaireed Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    We went for a little over a week with a couple of our neighbors and my husband's family and I didn't gain a pound! I took a huge container of fat free yogurt and added splenda and fruit for breakfast and lunch. We were tent camping and this was really easy. The yogurt kept just fine on the ice, nice and cold. I would take 98%fat free turkey dogs. They are only 45 calories each and I think they are delicious! Plus fun to cook on the fire. Take ready made salads and a favorite low fat salad dressing. (I hate making salads when camping! Such a pain in the butt! But if your not tent camping it would be much easier) I love Paul Newmans low- fat ginger dressing. I would eat the salad with the hot dogs. There are a lot of 1 pot camping recipes online. I like one with chicken breast, a jar of kalamata olives, and a can of stewed tomatoes, but I am sure you can find one pot ideas online that you like. For snacks I took low fat granola bars. If you're drinking limit your drinks and make sure your drinks are low calorie. Don't forget smores! They are always a highlight of our camping trips. Just bring one chocolate bar, a small bag of marshmallows and low fat graham crackers. Limit yourself to two smores. One on two different nights. You'll be glad that you did. Stay active! If you find yourself just sitting there get up and go for a hike or walk around to other campsights, go for a bike ride or walk to the river. Get moving and even if you have a few cheats, you'll be fine! I LOVE camping! Have fun!