Errr, embarrassing question for runners.

Options
13»

Replies

• supertracylynn
    supertracylynn Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    Hold it until the port o potty. I did!

I wish someone had told me about the Immodium thing before my first half... it would have helped a LOT! Trust me, I didn't need to lose any more fluid than I was already sweating!
  • agataarchangel
    agataarchangel Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    This hasn't happened to me while running, but I have gotten the nervous-need-to-poo many times while climbing frozen waterfalls in Alaska.

There's nothing quite like being in legitimately dangerous situations that require your total concentration, and having the overwhelming need to crap.

Frozen waterfalls? WOW! That'd be amazing! Hope no one'd be below you if that happened....it'd be like smelly bricks hitting you in the head. Hahaha.

Amazing about the waterfalls though. I totally took away from the majesty of that experience.... ;-)
  • krisiepoo
    krisiepoo Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    Have you not run in the morning before? I do all my training runs first thing so my body knows what I'm doing and I've managed my diet so that's not been an issue *yet* this year :)
  • Navotc
    Options
    Never shake hands with a runner who is only wearing one sock.

Now I'm laughing so hard at my desk that my co-workers are going to wonder if I'm insane...
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I generally go first thing in the morning, so I make sure i'm good to go then. During my longer runs, I try to make sure I'm not drinking more water than I need, so I won't have to stop and pee.

A lot of runners will just stop and do their business at the most convenient locations. I've also heard taking an immodium before a long race can keep you from getting runner's trots, but that's not something you should do frequently, or else it can mess up your digestive system.
  • JenKillough
    JenKillough Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Good info here :D
  • _Tristan_
    _Tristan_ Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    The nervous feeling before the race usually makes me go but if that doesn't work then I usually don't have to go until well after the race. Never thought about this and I run lots of races....
  • redredy9
    redredy9 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    If the urge to go hits I ignore it for a little while and it always passes. (Knock on wood)

I will definately try the Imodium trick before the marathon though. So far I am up to 18 miles and doing OK with out it though.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    This hasn't happened to me while running, but I have gotten the nervous-need-to-poo many times while climbing frozen waterfalls in Alaska.

There's nothing quite like being in legitimately dangerous situations that require your total concentration, and having the overwhelming need to crap.

There was a video on Tosh.0 of a rock climber who did crap on his buddy. Kind of funny and gross all at the same time.
  • mbishay
    Options
    lol i dont think thats what she meant by "go". Im pretty sure she's talking about #2. If you can take a poop while standing in a bush or on the wall...well..you are very talented.
  • amycb03
    amycb03 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I would take an Immodium before any of my races or long runs on the weekends. Not kidding!
  • pithole
    pithole Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I have experience with running and 'going' number 1. I hate using the portables so if I must, I'll just tinkling while running. With the technical fabrics now a day you dry very quickly. The smell is another story but trust me at the finish line everyone smells. Good running all and see you at the finish line! :tongue:

No joke, the finish line is going to reek!

Especially after a half.

This had just happened to me on Sunday too.

I needed to go (#2) around the 5 mile mark and I just held it.

http://maps.google.com/?q=http://share.abvio.com/52d9/2618/7f2b/aa46/Runmeter-Run-20120916-0812.kml

It is NOT COOL to go on people’s lawns or in parks.

Just because you have control problems doesn't mean you should subject anyone to clean up your mess.

Volunteers are there to hand out water not wipe your butt.

You will be fine, just don't worry about it and don't eat anything that will give you a problem the night before.

This is what you have been training for, you should know your body well enough to take the proper precautions, take confidence in the hard work you have put in and trust your body to follow suit.

Good luck this weekend!
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    Immodium
  • Heaven71
    Heaven71 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    So, I have a race coming up on Sunday morning (gun fires at 9am), and I normally have to err...."go" in the am. And normally I do.... but what happens when you have to go, or go again after the race starts, and you're not near one of the 3 porto-potties on the 21k track? Do you hold it? Go off-course? Would you get disqualified going outside the race circuit? LOL!

First time doing a half and this thought invaded my mind.... and I'd like to know if you guys know or have dealt with this in the past?

What do YOU do when nature calls on a race run? Haha. Any thoughts or advice is appreciated. Spanks guys!

Your nerves will force it out before the race, have a cup of coffee and your normal race fuel then hit the porto's
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Hot water is a great laxative. So, a cup of coffee or two an hour before race time should help you out.
    As for peeing -- I have noticed that, at the start line of most marathons, the gun goes off and people run straight, but only for about 500 yards. Then, the blood starts actually pumping, and the nerves go away, and people find they can actually pee like they have been trying to do up until race time. So, after going straight a little bit, everyone dashes off to the side of the course and into the bushes.
    It just happens. Isn't much you can do about it. You are nervous before a big race, and that makes it hard to pee.