shape-up shoes

marujita
marujita Posts: 53
edited September 20 in Fitness and Exercise
Has anyone out there used shape-up shoes for a period of time? Have you noticed any results? I just bought a pair and working out on the treadmill was SO MUCH HARDER, so I assume they're doing something to work my muscles more.

Any good/bad experiences with them?

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

Replies

• Jennplus2
    Jennplus2 Posts: 984 Member
    I was so close to getting some! I wish I had. I still might, let me know also!
  • I have a pair of Shape-up Shoes as well. I got them just before Christmas. I can sure tell when I am walking in them that there is a huge difference. I wore them to Jazzercise and I didn't think I was going to make it through class. I am going to have to build up to that. :flowerforyou:
  • Ezzie
    Ezzie Posts: 665 Member
    Have a pair of Kame-a-part look a likes....they definitely do work different parts of the legs. I got them because I had toe surgery and they take any weight off my toes (nice!) so I switch back and forth. Think they do work on balance as well. But I have NOT seen any dramatic change in size or shape.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Whenever you do any type of activity, your muscles are activated in a series of patterns and sequences based on the *specific* needs of the activity. Any change in the conditions of that activity will cause a different response. If the stimulus is different enough--as it is in the case of these shoes--you will feel it. Muscles may become more easily fatigued at first or one might even notice some soreness, depending on the individual.

However, the "new" sensations provide absolutely NO evidence of any actual "training" or "toning" taking place. It's just a temporary response to a new condition. You would get the same experience walking on any uneven or unstable surface.

The question, then, is: is the "stimulus" enough to result in any real change in muscle strength or "tone"? (As opposed to just learning how to walk in these shoes). Basic exercise physiology says "NO"--for the same reason why electro stim pads, cardio exercise, all those goofy "ab blaster" type device, thighmasters, etc don't work. Ultimately, there is not enough resistance to bring about any long-term changes. Theoretically, there might be some improvement in balance and stability, but it remains to be seen whether or not that has some practical application or is anything more than a transient effect. The same with any claims that "increased muscle activation increases calorie expenditure".

I actually looked at the studies displayed on their website and I must say that the research evidence is, well, sketchy.

At best.

The use of EMG to show "increased muscle activation" is a standard smokescreen tool. ANY different muscle movement will show "increased muscle activation". Some of the crummiest ab informercial products have used the same type of research. And of course, they do not provide abstracts or any details which could be used to evaluate the research. I found it ironic that the one study that did show some data actually showed that, at walking speeds greater than 1.8 miles/hr, it appeared that there was little or no increase in the "muscle activation". compared to normal athletic shoes.

Again, it's not like this is a new idea--this concept has been tried in the past. It just takes a few years to raise a new crop of consumers who haven't heard of it before.
  • pressica
    pressica Posts: 361
    I am really glad that you posted this. I agree with you completely. So many dieters mistake soreness for effectiveness. Just because the shape-ups make you sore in different areas, doesn't mean that it will give you long term toning.
  • Makes complete sense. What about he "better posture" component? That is a huge reason I thought of trying these shoes in the first place. I've had some lower back pain lately, and I thought that perhaps if I had better shoes. Any thought on the "helps posture" claim?

Thanks for thoughts!!
  • lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    I agree. I've thought from the beginning that this sounded like a lot of "hype" and much too good to be true. I think there's likely to be a short term benefit as people will be inspired to walk more to take advantage of the "toning". However, just walking would have the benefit of burning calories and toning your legs..
This discussion has been closed.