Too excited to be here! Hello!!

startfromscratch
startfromscratch Posts: 24
edited September 20 in Introduce Yourself
Hello everyone!!! :flowerforyou: It's my first day here and I am super excited! I'm not new to dieting and I've had a lot of failed attempts at losing weight. This time around, I am trying to do things differently. I've got big goals for 2010. Instead of focusing on weight loss specifically, I've changed my focus to something else that will hopefully get me to my weightloss goal -- Running! I've recently discovered that I can run, well... more like jog :tongue: . I know it sounds odd but I had never run as a means of exercise and I assumed it just wasn't in me.

I ran a 5K in 2008 and have been running on and off (mostly off) for the past year, but this year I plan to be way more serious about it. I've set out a long term goal of participating in a half marathon in November (big goal, I know). Between now and then I'll be working on my speed and endurance. Looking at me you'd never think that I could run but I am determined to do it. Right now, I've committed myself to running on a treadmill for 30 minutes a day four days a week. I've already done 2 of my 4 workouts this week and I've logged in 6.37 miles!! Well, thanks for listening to me! If anyone has any advice (or cautionary tales) for this running beginner, I love to hear it! Like I said, I'm new at this and I want to make sure that I am going about this in the best way possible.

Replies

• BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Hi. Welcome to MFP. :)
  • lahlie
    lahlie Posts: 149 Member
    Hi! I am just starting too (again). And, I am also "learning" to run for distances for exercise. I am doing the Couch to 5K program training to run my first 5K in the spring. Welcome.
  • HonestOmnivore
    HonestOmnivore Posts: 1,356 Member
    Hi!

Welcome and I think you'll love it here! I'm planning to start running in the spring - right now I'm using an elliptical machine to get a little more weight off.

I used this site for several months without dieting - just recorded everything I ate (EVERY THING) then I went back and looked at it and thought about it, and played with the food options. I didn't really start to control my diet until October and its been SO MUCH EASIER than I'd thought.

I'd suggest logging all your food and just watching it! I bet it will have a positive impact on the choices you're making!

You ran a 5K - that's awesome :drinker: - I hope I can do that by fall!
  • Thanks, Brendalee, lamardis and mstahl!!!

@lamardis: maybe we can be supportive running buddies or something. I need all the accountability I can get to keep up with this program.

@mstahl: I :love: the elliptical! That was always my go-to machine at the gym when I first started trying to exercise, I think that's what made running easier for me, when I started. Good luck to you on your 5K endeavors as well! I've heard good things about the "Couch to 5K" program.
This discussion has been closed.