FOR LADIES T.O.M.....PLEASE HELP :(

Options
TIME OF MONTH IN SEVERE PAIN WITH CRAMPS AND WANT TO EAT JUNK...WHAT DO YOU GUYS DO TO HELP THE WANNA VOMIT FEELING, THE WANNA EAT ANYTHING IN SIGHT FEELING AND THE PAIN?
THANKS.

Replies

• Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    I take tylenol, drink more water and limit myself to one treat. Planning one treat helps prevent going nuts.
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    Also, according to the book "Lifetime of Running" active women may need up to 500 calories more during TOM. So don't go nuts but it is normal to need to eat a bit more than normal.

Hope you feel better.
  • NewBeginning2010
    NewBeginning2010 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Thats interesting to know thank you...
  • smileydkg
    Options
    Gotta love the pamprin and keeping hydrated is definately key....but for those I want to eat everything in site days...try some light popcorn.
  • BamaRose0107
    Options
    Midol, a heat pad, and a warm cup of camomile tea.
  • mablesyrup
    mablesyrup Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Please don't think I am crazy- but honestly when it's that time of the month and the cramps are bad and I'm feeling like a snack---
    I have an orgasm. Orgasms contracts your uterus- and in return will help with the cramping... trust me- you will feel better...
    and the distraction of it will make you forget all about food.

Otherwise exercise or a hot compress.... a hot bath or shower....

I just went through this a few days ago =) I totally understand!
  • ebkins7
    ebkins7 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I think Midol and Pamarin are overpriced, I paid over 10 for a SMALL box once. If you need a substitue for the cramping Mortrin it's basically the same ingredient in Midol (Midol contains Naprasin, a cousin of Motrin).

As for snacks... try Kettle Corn rather than buttered popcord... only 60 cals per serving and will satisfy a sweet tooth!

I also agree that you should allow some snacks... it helps to keep from binging!
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Please don't think I am crazy- but honestly when it's that time of the month and the cramps are bad and I'm feeling like a snack---
    I have an orgasm. Orgasms contracts your uterus- and in return will help with the cramping... trust me- you will feel better...

Agreed, sometimes it isn't so bad to be a woman with remedies like this one :laugh:
  • April0815
    April0815 Posts: 780 Member
    Options

Very true. It does help with the cramping.
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    It's hard to get going, but I find if I do some moderate exercise, my cramps ease up a little. Moderately paced walk, biking, etc.

I also LOVE heating pads to help relieve cramps & back pain associated w/ TOM. And sometimes, I can't take it anymore & I pop some Advil liquigels which is the only pain reliever that seems to help me.

Small piece of very dark chocolate for chocolate cravings, and I've recently fallen head over heels in love with these 110 calorie ice cream sandwiches I found at Kroger.
  • jalara
    jalara Posts: 2,622 Member
    Options
    Magnesiuam and calcium supplements - start them about 3 days before tyou period, until your cramps subside around day 3. It make a big difference.

As for the snacking - go for it. I give myself as much of a healthy snack as I want, or a small portion of an unhelthy snack. That way, either way, I don't feel deprived.

Hope this helps.
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options

And now my little suggestions don't seem nearly as good. :laugh:
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options

This is the best "medicine" I've EVER heard of! :laugh:
  • TCASMEY
    TCASMEY Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    When I was in college I discovered doing some sit-ups always helped relieve the cramps.
  • auntbliz
    auntbliz Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    As for snacking, I try to go for dark chocolate, the antioxidants should help some with all that stuff, and it's better for you than milk chocolate. I also just found out about the Jello Mousse temptations chocolate indulgence, yum, and only 60 calories. I also try to get more sleep, I am just more tired during that time, and it makes me feel better to sleep, lol. When you're feeling like you're going to vomit, you might try a small tortilla or a piece of bread for a snack. Don't forget to drink lots of water too.
  • LisaC1026
    LisaC1026 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    I'm going to have to try the big O next time I have bad cramps and see if this method is true! That is some very useful information!

I also recommend the Kettle Corn suggestion above. I eat that as my snack ANY time I'm having a sweet craving. I also like sugar free Chocolate Jell-O cups (60 calories per serving). As many others have mentioned, I LIVE on my eating pad during my TOM.
  • April0815
    April0815 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Besides the BIG O I find that when I cramp doing the eliptical and sweating helps ease them. I have endometriosis really bad so sometimes my cramps can get really bad but I don't let that stop me from working out, when you work out your body produces a natural Pain reliever.

Before I started my healthy lifestlye my cramps would have me on the heating pad 24/7. Last December (2008) I went for my annual checkup and my GYN suggested I get a hysterectomy if I was sure I didn't want anymore children. The downfall to it was that I would have to have both ovaries removed because of my cramping. I didn't just cramp for my t.o.m . It had gotten so bad that I didn't get a break from the cramps. I was suppose to schedule it a month later. I decided that I was going to start losing weight so that my recovery would be a little easier.

I couldn't believe it, after the first 15-20 pounds that I lost my cramping eased up tremendously. Needless to say I put the surgery on hold. I told my doctor that I was unsure about it. Now that I have lost the weight that I have and started working out I hardly ever get cramps. I get them every once and a while but they are bearable. I haven't had to use my heating pad for a very long time. So hopefully the more weight we all lose the less they become for all of us.

Hope this helps!!!!!