Protein and carbs

Options
Hello all,
I've just recently started to pay attention to my daily protein and carb intake. I notice that I'm usually about 30 grams over my protein about 30 grams under my carb totals. I read that too much protein without increased exercise, (which most likely isn't going to happen - I'm a new mom, I'm lucky if I get 30 min. of a workout video in!) that it can be bad for bone and muscle mass.
Any suggestions on this? Is this okay that I'm so far over my protein and under carb levels? Any suggestions on ways to decrease my protein and increase my carbs without getting too hungry throughout the day (All that protein really fills me up!!)
THANK YOU!
Anne

Replies

• MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    The default protein recommendations at MFP are extremely low. If I ate that little protein, I'd lose all my hair, in fact. I also think the default carb recommendations are way too high. When I eat that many carbs, I start to get inappropriate cravings for junk food and I'm a lot hungrier than I want to be.

This is why I don't use MFP's defaults. I've set my own goals to where my doctor and I think they should be.

It's true that "too much" protein is hard on your kidneys. But for people in normal health with no renal issues, "too much" is something like 3 g of protein per lb. of body weight. IOW, it's an enormous amount of protein and you aren't going to get that much without really working hard at it.

Also, if you drink a lot of water, it helps your kidneys deal with the protein you do eat.
  • annerssju
    annerssju Posts: 111
    Options
    Thank you!!! I really appreciate the feedback!:smile: