Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

fish with no batter

Hi all
Does anyone know how many calories there are in a piece of fish from the chip shop which has been cooked in the usual oil but with no batter on - I asked the guy to do it with NO BATTER - he gave me a funny look but obliged me! But now I cant find fish without batter in the food index. Anyone any idea?:smile:

Replies

• lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    What kind of fish is it?
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Hi all
    Does anyone know how many calories there are in a piece of fish from the chip shop which has been cooked in the usual oil but with no batter on - I asked the guy to do it with NO BATTER - he gave me a funny look but obliged me! But now I cant find fish without batter in the food index. Anyone any idea?:smile:

you could try something like http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/finfish-and-shellfish-products/4042/2 and add a guess for the oil (1 tbsp ?)
  • LittleMissDover
    LittleMissDover Posts: 820 Member
    I don't know but I do know it's better to have it cooked with batter and then peel it off as then it 'steams' inside the batter. The way you did it the fish absorbs all the oil.
  • Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    I don't know but I do know it's better to have it cooked with batter and then peel it off as then it 'steams' inside the batter. The way you did it the fish absorbs all the oil.

Good tip! Thanks

At home I just broil (or grill) it with salt and lemon pepper. Yummmmmm
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    If the oil is hot enough and the fish isnt left in too long, it will absorb no more than 1tbsp of oil.
  • This should do it. You essentially pan fried it in oil. I don't see much difference.
    *Ken - Generic - Pan Fried Fish
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    I buy that coating mix where you dip it in egg and coat it with bread crumbs and bake it...YUMMY! :smile:
  • BlueJean4114
    BlueJean4114 Posts: 595 Member
    Hi all

On your food diary, if you search for "fried white fish" several options pop up. Most of the choices seem to be saying that fried white fish is about 200 to 230 calories per 4 oz.
    If you went to a chain restaurant or fast food, you might also be able to search for that restaurant by name.

Or add in 4 oz of whatever fish you ate (perch, pollack, whatever) or just "white fish", (many white fish is a lot the same)
    PLUS
    probably about an ounce of vegetable oil. (?)
    .......... that might do...???
  • BlueJean4114
    BlueJean4114 Posts: 595 Member
  • I don't know but I do know it's better to have it cooked with batter and then peel it off as then it 'steams' inside the batter. The way you did it the fish absorbs all the oil.

^^^THIS^^^
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member

This for next time.

Rather than looking for fried fish in the database, look for one that is noted as sauteed in oil. Any of the fried entries I've ever seen include the carb count for a breading or coating on the fish since it's rare to ever fry a protein without something on the outside of it.

But even though the cooking method is different, the combo of fish and additional oil for cooking is really what you're looking for.
  • cadillaccowboy
    cadillaccowboy Posts: 16 Member
    thanks everyone for your replies