I can't lose unless I starve?

Options
I just averaged out my calories for the past 30 days, trying to understand - I average around 1500kcal/day. And I am in the exact same weight range throughout that time (actually since February or so), from low days to high days (more right after high days, especially carbs) - 215-220lb. I did hit a freakish low a while back, which is what I have logged (I only log weight if it goes lower than the lowest I had), but it only happened once. I'm sad and angry I can't lose on 1500kcal average, and I'm sad and angry that if I push 2000kcal/day for a few days in a row I start to gain. When I go to 800kcal or lower I do start to lose weight, but I feel deprived, then often binge, which brings me to that average, or even higher if I get into a vicious cycle. I just don't get it. Why can't I lose, even slowly, on 1500kcal/day? Even through periods where I experimented with consistent exercise? Through low carbing? Through paleo? Through calorie cycling? Carb cycling? Through whatever - it doesn't seem to matter! I even gained (I'd go from 213-215 average to 218-223 before giving up) during some of those periods, especially exercise. I don't know what else to do but VLCD or even fasting and try to find some tactics to make it through the binge urge days. I'm at pulling-my-hair out stage.

I know I have a lot of health issues that could be holding me back (in my profile), but by that much? I would've though I'd lose at least slowly on 1500kcal/day average, but nope. Nothing. Just wobbling up and down in the same 10 pound block.

Anyone else been through the same thing, and got through it? Particularly with similar health issues? What did you do?

Replies

• gabriellejayde
    gabriellejayde Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    i looked at your food diary and i'm wondering if you're calories are accurate. You only have a few things on there per day, but if you use oils, butter, sauces, you need to log those. Spread your calories throughout the day to thwart hunger, and make sure you have fresh fruit and vegetables and whole grains if you have carbs.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Where are your vegetables and fruits? You seem to be living on a diet that is primarilly meat. I am sure that cannot be healthy.
    I would suggest checking out what your actual BMR and TDEE are, and then eating at 20% below TDEE, keeping active, and have some patience even if you seem to be gaining to begin. I don't think going on a near starvation diet is the answer, that is not going to help your health issues any.
  • cuarrech
    cuarrech Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    i looked at your food diary and i'm wondering if you're calories are accurate.

Friday through Monday (previous) excepted as we were out of town (I put that in, but it was from memory), I log everything I eat, and I often weigh whatever I'm eating on the kitchen scales. I also try to err on the side of overestimating if I am not entirely sure. What I have logged is what I've eaten, even if it's embarrassing or I went really high that day.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    You could simply be on a plateau. Work on increasing your activity level a bit and make sure you log absolutely everything every day for the next month and see if that helps.

When I was losing, it wasn't unheard of for me to be on a plateau for a solid 6-8 weeks. It sucked, but eventually it breaks and you can drop a lot quickly.

I went from 218 to 176 on 1500-1800 calories per day, so that calorie level sounds reasonable to me.
  • bowseramanda
    bowseramanda Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    i looked at your food diary and i'm wondering if you're calories are accurate. You only have a few things on there per day, but if you use oils, butter, sauces, you need to log those. Spread your calories throughout the day to thwart hunger, and make sure you have fresh fruit and vegetables and whole grains if you have carbs.
    I know this may be a silly question, but how do you look at someone else's diary? I have only ever looked at my own or if someone posts at the end of the day and it says view diary occassionally I will peek at it.
  • bowseramanda
    bowseramanda Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    What are your stats now? current height and weight?
  • Wyutzy
    Wyutzy Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I really don't have the answers, but I wonder if it would help if you tried eating a more balanced diet. Try adding fruits and veggies! I don't agree with the starving idea. You can't maintain that!
  • Yes2HealthyAriel
    Yes2HealthyAriel Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    people told me to eat more to lose, I tried it and it doesnt work for me. I try to eat between 1200-1300
  • MeMyCatsandI
    MeMyCatsandI Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Are you eating fruits and veggies and just not logging them? If not, I think you need to add some. I'm all for protein in the way of meat, but I think you need to replace some of it with fresh fruits and veggies.

And in all honesty, it could be due to your health issues. Have you specifically discussed your inablility to lose weight with your doctor(s)?
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

Friday through Monday (previous) excepted as we were out of town (I put that in, but it was from memory), I log everything I eat, and I often weigh whatever I'm eating on the kitchen scales. I also try to err on the side of overestimating if I am not entirely sure. What I have logged is what I've eaten, even if it's embarrassing or I went really high that day.
    [/quote]

Hello!

A lot of the foods you consume are pretty high in sodium. My suggestion is to turn on the sodium feature under settings. You could be retaining a bunch of water which makes your weight stay high even if you are within your calories.

Yes, it would help you out so much to add more vegetables, fruits, nuts and beans.
  • joannathechef
    joannathechef Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I just averaged out my calories for the past 30 days, trying to understand - I average around 1500kcal/day. And I am in the exact same weight range throughout that time (actually since February or so), from low days to high days (more right after high days, especially carbs) - 215-220lb. I did hit a freakish low a while back, which is what I have logged (I only log weight if it goes lower than the lowest I had), but it only happened once. I'm sad and angry I can't lose on 1500kcal average, and I'm sad and angry that if I push 2000kcal/day for a few days in a row I start to gain. When I go to 800kcal or lower I do start to lose weight, but I feel deprived, then often binge, which brings me to that average, or even higher if I get into a vicious cycle. I just don't get it. Why can't I lose, even slowly, on 1500kcal/day? Even through periods where I experimented with consistent exercise? Through low carbing? Through paleo? Through calorie cycling? Carb cycling? Through whatever - it doesn't seem to matter! I even gained (I'd go from 213-215 average to 218-223 before giving up) during some of those periods, especially exercise. I don't know what else to do but VLCD or even fasting and try to find some tactics to make it through the binge urge days. I'm at pulling-my-hair out stage.

I know I have a lot of health issues that could be holding me back (in my profile), but by that much? I would've though I'd lose at least slowly on 1500kcal/day average, but nope. Nothing. Just wobbling up and down in the same 10 pound block.

Anyone else been through the same thing, and got through it? Particularly with similar health issues? What did you do?
  • cuarrech
    cuarrech Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Where are your vegetables and fruits? You seem to be living on a diet that is primarilly meat. I am sure that cannot be healthy.
    I would suggest checking out what your actual BMR and TDEE are, and then eating at 20% below TDEE, keeping active, and have some patience even if you seem to be gaining to begin. I don't think going on a near starvation diet is the answer, that is not going to help your health issues any.

Yes, I am low-carbing currently, or at least trying to, but even the frozen fruit and dry wine I've had recently seems to keep me out of ketosis, so I think I have to go very low carb. I don't know.. I've tried it before, and didn't work beyond 3-4 weeks, but maybe if I have long-term cycles.. I just don't know. I have gone through periods of eating boatloads of veggies, raw and cooked (and trying to see if there was a difference between raw or cooked). Didn't matter weight-wise.
    I figured my BMR & TDEE, and I played with different settings for activity, and I know I'm under what it calculated even for sedentary, though I don't recall by how much. I think I just don't burn much. I think I would have to go to a metabolic ward(?) to figure what I actually expend, and I can't afford that.
    I don't think, psychologically, I could handle gaining right now. I'm back up to 218 from 215 average last week and I'm seriously stressed out. I can't see 220 again (AGAIN). I just can't.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    Find out what your BMR is or post your height, weight, and age so someone can figure it out for you. My guess is that you should try eating more than 1500/day for more than few days. Yes, you probably will gain, but you need to give it a few weeks before claiming it doesn't work and give up. There will be an initial gain when you up your calories. It's usually water weight and will go away nearly as quickly.
  • _granola
    Options
    You are not being consistent with sticking to a calorie goal for long enough to see if it works. You need to have commitment, consistency, and patience.

This is a good calculator to figure out the calories you should eat to lose weight: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator

I am willing to bet you should be eating at least 1600-1700 calories to lose weight. Unless you exercise (I didn't see much in your diary), then it would be more. Stick to it for a couple of months, try not to go over your calories too often (and by so much), and see if it works.
  • georgie181
    Options
    I have been trying to lose weight for over 2 years now, so far I have lost 60lbs, I figure if I lose another 16lbs that will be perfect (with lean muscle) anyway its beens long and arduous and yes I have gained and lost and gained and lost over and over and over!!!! when I started I just changed what I ate, not how much I ate of it. It worked at first then it stalled for month and months then I gained, then lost again and this is how its been since I started, no consistencey, lots of pitfalls.....sometimes I would just give up for a couple of days, weeks and this was a mistake because its about hanging in there because eventually you will see results, keep on trucking girl you will get there!
  • joannathechef
    joannathechef Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    sorry about posting with out my text....

But you have said you try 1,500 and do not lose then mention 800 (very low) what about 1,200 or 1,100 this is pretty doable and if you eat lots of veggies with your protein you will not be hungry.
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Try being more consistent. Work out a reasonable deficit from your TDEE for weightloss, and pick a balanced plan for carbs/protein/fat (I'm not going to get into the various arguments arising from this, you have to make your own call as it's your body and health. Personally I go higher than Mfp recommends on protein, try to keep fat intake lowish, don't bother about carbs but have a high fibre intake).

Then stick with it, with moderate exercise and plenty of water, for two months.

If you still haven't lost anything, we'll still be here.

But I do think extreme diet changes hopping form one thing to another won't help - even if you don't take the above advice, then whatever plan you do choose you need to stick with, otherwise you're just not giving your body time to adjust, and it may be going into a sort of "help, what's going on, better hunker down and assume it's war or winter and I'd better hang on to the fat stores" mode.
  • Trapwolf
    Trapwolf Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Hi, I would suggest maybe like eevryone has said...have alot more veggies and get protein from them too, and less meat..especially less red meat. This is just a suggestion. I would say too, go to 1,450 cals. dont go over...do...not....go...over....But if you do, make yourself workout to "pay" for the calories you went over...if you know you are going out of town build up a sort of "bank account" by working out a bit more through the week. Try veggie burgers they are filling and mine are only about 170 cals. :O) Iwish you well, feel free to add me , Peace.
  • SeaRunner26
    SeaRunner26 Posts: 5,143 Member
    Options
    I've found that it's exercise that keeps me from falling into starvation mode. If I had to stick to my goal of 1220 calories per day I'd be pretty miserable. But because I exercise a lot, often burning 800 to 1800 calories extra per day, I can add extra food without going over my net calorie goal.
  • MonicaMeeks
    MonicaMeeks Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Are you drinking water? You should be drinking a minimum of 8 glasses a day. Starving yourself will only make it worse. Also increase your work out times by 15 minutes. You can do this! Don't give up just change up! More water and longer work out sessions.