Negative feedback after weight loss...

So I've lost a total of 40.4 pounds from the beginning of March to now, although my ticker says 3 pounds because I just recently joined MFP. Well, the other day someone said (about me): "Oh yeah, i don't like the way she looks now that she's lost weight... she doesn't look good. I liked how she looked better before." Well it's a good thing I'm not trying to get fit and healthy for others, I'm doing this for myself :-) But wow, what a mean thing to say huh? Has anyone received any negative feedback after successfully losing a significant amount of weight?

Replies

• wendygutie
    wendygutie Posts: 156 Member
    That is a mean thing to say.

Their momma didn't teach them the "If you don't have nothing nice to say, don' say anything at all"

You look great! Good job on the weight loss!
  • they liked you before your weight loss because they are jealous of the new you.
  • strikerjb007
    strikerjb007 Posts: 443 Member
    Girl, that's normal. They're called haters! I got tons. If you got haters you're doing something right! Later, those who criticize you now will come and ask you how you're doing it!
  • NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    So I've lost a total of 40.4 pounds from the beginning of March to now, although my ticker says 3 pounds because I just recently joined MFP. Well, the other day someone said (about me): "Oh yeah, i don't like the way she looks now that she's lost weight... she doesn't look good. I liked how she looked better before." Well it's a good thing I'm not trying to get fit and healthy for others, I'm doing this for myself :-) But wow, what a mean thing to say huh? Has anyone received any negative feedback after successfully losing a significant amount of weight?

Not sure what the context was but could it be jealousy? I have lost significant weight a couple of times before and found that some people would comment with genuine congratulations and some others would throw in a catty comment or make it a backhanded compliment, such as "wow I bet you feel so much better about yourself now that you aren't fat!!" I didn't like it but I would usually shrug it off as jealousy.

Either way, not cool! Great job on your weight loss :flowerforyou:
  • R_Calvillo
    R_Calvillo Posts: 177 Member
    Only after sex.
  • DaniKenmir
    DaniKenmir Posts: 387 Member
    I get the same thing from people as soon as I'm smaller than them. When I'm bigger and say I need to lose weight they agree but after they just get upset that I'm doing something for me, for all the right reasons, it feels good
  • GhostPack
    GhostPack Posts: 197 Member
    Girl, that's normal. They're called haters! I got tons. If you got haters you're doing something right! Later, those who criticize you now will come and ask you how you're doing it!
    What he said. Gotta love haters.
  • kmkgurl
    kmkgurl Posts: 321 Member
    ow can say JEALOUS.... keep up the good work! and screw other peoples comments!
  • bradphil87
    bradphil87 Posts: 617 Member
    I get that from some people too. They tell me to stop, I go harder. They tell me to give up, I say I'll never quit. Haters are fun, because everytime I see them, I look even better and it kills them
  • FiercelyBeautiful
    FiercelyBeautiful Posts: 590 Member
    Some people (certain women) make it a point not to even look at me and make their disgust for me pretty obvious. I youst to think that some people didnt like me because I was overweight and I have realized that some people would dislike me no matter what and maybe even moreso because I have lost weight. It is an odd thing. I have had a friend tell someone else that I should stop because I "just look too thin and I will be gross if I keep going" and I am not even at a healthy weight yet. UGH
  • Crayvn
    Crayvn Posts: 390 Member
    A few years ago when i lost 50+ pounds I actually placed a formal complaint to my HR dept at work. These girls started to make smarty comments about how thin i was getting. I was actually getting ready for competition too ..so i was very lean as well.. when i lost 20 lbs they would be compliments. As I lost more and more they said..wow..when are you gonna stop your soooo skinny on an almost daily basis.... at this point i knew it was compliments anymore. :( o yeah...they stopped after i placed my complaint..lol

I think ppl get so used to seeing us heavy they dont know how to react to seeing a huge transformation..plus they are jealous :p
  • tishad58
    tishad58 Posts: 110 Member
    Welp, they are either jealous- or visually impaired. I think you look fabulous!! :) Sounds like you FEEL fabulous too- and this one really IS all about you!! :wink:
  • HerBravado
    HerBravado Posts: 392 Member
    Woww. :( That's hurtful...

I haven't gotten an outright rude comment--
    but there was a guy who lost interest in me because I wasn't "big enough" anymore.

Weird, huh? :'D
  • jeffreyjording
    jeffreyjording Posts: 67 Member
    Yes. I have lost 130 lbs. I am in the best shape of my life. I cycle 100 or more miles a week, my blood pressure is 110/65. My BMI is 22. The only person who truly supports me is my doctor. She is thrilled. Everyone else seems to think I am obsessed or something's wrong with me. Nobody said anything about my weight when I weighed 300 lbs. Now at 170, everybody has something to say. Ignore them and stay with the program. There's nothing wrong with being healthy:-)
  • jazzalea
    jazzalea Posts: 412 Member
    yup you get them from time to time.... I think they are the types that don't believe they CAN do it for themselves.... and so they try and make others believe that they SHOULDN'T do it!....

bring on the haters ...... I love em :)
  • darlilama
    darlilama Posts: 794 Member
    You look GREAT! So, they are just full of it. There are some guys that prefer a little extra on their women, and that's all cool. I'm guessing these were women, though. It is SAD to think they have to shore up their self confidence by hating on you! I just never GOT that. I always tell other women they look good if they do, regardless of how much they weigh!
  • So I've lost a total of 40.4 pounds from the beginning of March to now, although my ticker says 3 pounds because I just recently joined MFP. Well, the other day someone said (about me): "Oh yeah, i don't like the way she looks now that she's lost weight... she doesn't look good. I liked how she looked better before." Well it's a good thing I'm not trying to get fit and healthy for others, I'm doing this for myself :-) But wow, what a mean thing to say huh? Has anyone received any negative feedback after successfully losing a significant amount of weight?

Not sure what the context was but could it be jealousy? I have lost significant weight a couple of times before and found that some people would comment with genuine congratulations and some others would throw in a catty comment or make it a backhanded compliment, such as "wow I bet you feel so much better about yourself now that you aren't fat!!" I didn't like it but I would usually shrug it off as jealousy.

Either way, not cool! Great job on your weight loss :flowerforyou:

Oh yeah, forgot to mention, she has put on about 40-50 pounds over the last two years.... :-/ Maybe jealousy maybe she really does like me a little more round...lol
  • bowseramanda
    bowseramanda Posts: 58 Member
    I think in the MFP world they call that a NSV! talk about motivation to continue on. (or smack 'em upside the head with a carrot) :laugh:
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    After about 40 or 50 pounds lost I had a very good friend take me aside while she was drunk to beg me to quit dieting before I got smaller than her.

I'm pretty happy that, at the same weight and height, I now wear one pant size smaller than her.
  • R_Calvillo
    R_Calvillo Posts: 177 Member
    After about 40 or 50 pounds lost I had a very good friend take me aside while she was drunk to beg me to quit dieting before I got smaller than her.

I'm pretty happy that, at the same weight and height, I now wear one pant size smaller than her.

Wow. I guess it would be easier for everybody else to change so I look good instead of me actually having to work at it.