The annoying truth about pickles

Options
The past three days I went from 105 pounds to 110. And I thought to myself "how the hell is this possible?" but then today I realized something. The big pickles I've been eating because they're super low calorie? They have 210mg of sodium for ONE FOURTH of the pickle. I'd eat like 2 of them a day! Today I even had 3! That's 1680mg of sodium for 2 pickles. and 2520mg for 3!

No **** I gained weight. I'm retaining a **** ton of water!

Watch the sodium on your food guys!!!

Replies

• childofArtemis24
    Options
    But, I love the big pickles! They are sooo good.
  • wait_loss
    wait_loss Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    LOL made me laugh. And if you were in cycle you might also be retaining water. Thanks for the laugh.
  • wait_loss
    wait_loss Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    We are talking about pickles right
  • danithegirl89
    danithegirl89 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Sodium doesn't really affect me lol. I guess I'm lucky :)
  • hausofnichele
    hausofnichele Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    You've got that right!!
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Water retention is not really weight gain.
  • kskroch
    kskroch Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    ha! I can't say I noticed and water retention.... but when I was on my VLCD I was allowed a pickle and boy did it taste great after eating only shakes and bars....
  • bprague
    bprague Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    We are talking about pickles right

If someone's pickle made you gain weight, you have bigger problems then fitting into your pants! lol
  • FiercelyBeautiful
    FiercelyBeautiful Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    LOL made me laugh. And if you were in cycle you might also be retaining water. Thanks for the laugh.
    AWKWARD :noway:
  • leeanneowens
    leeanneowens Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Thank goodness I don't like pickles.
  • EmCeeKayla
    EmCeeKayla Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    held onto 5 pounds of water weight. Like legit
  • KCRunnerSteve
    KCRunnerSteve Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I totally get that. Today I was proud of myself for putting lots of "color" on my turkey sandwich: mini sweet pepper, baby spinach, red onion, and dill hamburger pickles. They had a ton of sodium. As soon as I logged my food I realized that I can't have pickles anymore.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    The past three days I went from 105 pounds to 110. And I thought to myself "how the hell is this possible?" but then today I realized something. The big pickles I've been eating because they're super low calorie? They have 210mg of sodium for ONE FOURTH of the pickle. I'd eat like 2 of them a day! Today I even had 3! That's 1680mg of sodium for 2 pickles. and 2520mg for 3!

No **** I gained weight. I'm retaining a **** ton of water!

Watch the sodium on your food guys!!!

High sodium intake also makes one gain fat because it raises cortisol levels. It is a no-no for anyone who is trying to lose weight (in addition to being unhealthy for the kidneys). A healthy level of sodium is about 2,500 mg. per day and potassium intake should be about the same. Most people get two or three times the amount of sodium as potassium because of the lack of fruit and vegetables in the diet. No wonder we are a nation of tired, unhealthy couch potatoes!
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    It's a good thing I couldn't give two f***s what the scale says.
  • Losing2Live69
    Losing2Live69 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Have you seen the sugar free pickles made with splenda? I love the bread and butter ones. No calories! You can rinse them off to remove some of the sodium. I'm sure it won't get it all off.
  • marthadztx
    marthadztx Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Pickles yum!
    Don't forget to drink your 8 :drinker:
  • ffhsanfran
    ffhsanfran Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    you can make your own with vinegar and no salt.
  • roswyn80
    roswyn80 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    They're a lot of sodium, but I try and drink extra water whenever I have one... because I love pickles. XD I've been eating two or three 3" dill pickles nearly every day this week, but I've still lost weight almost every day. But, I do drink a lot of water (I just don't log it) - normally at least 3l a day, sometimes 4.5l or more. I measure by how many 1.5l bottles I drink, and the more I drink, the less water weight I hold onto!
  • RuthSweetTooth
    RuthSweetTooth Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    our ancestors didn't get fat eating pickles. It's just water gain. Enjoy your pickles.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    you can make your own with vinegar and no salt.

Yes, I slice organic English cucumber thinly and dress them with a tiny bit of salt (I do use a little as cucumbers are high in potassium, so that mitigates the sodium and they taste a lot better with a little salt), vinegar and small amount of honey.