Which Jillian Michaels workout is best for a beginner?

Options
I'm a new mommy and I want to try out a Jillian Michaels workout but would like to find one that would be best for a beginner since I haven't really worked out other than walking in 10 months.

Replies

• lappyd425
    lappyd425 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I started out with her 30 Day Shred then went to Ripped in 30 and then her Body Revolution. I think any of her programs work wonders!!! Good luck!!!
  • nangel4u
    Options
    Congrats on your little one!!!! I started with the 30 day shred and lost about 5 pounds and lost some inches in the first month!!!! Its only about 25 mins each day or you can do it 5 days a week!!!
  • Starlightbella
    Starlightbella Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I started out with her 30 Day Shred then went to Ripped in 30 and then her Body Revolution. I think any of her programs work wonders!!! Good luck!!!
    I agree! I am on week 3 of Ripped in 30 and finished the 30DS. Total Body is on my horizon in two weeks. I love Jillians style and her 3 2 1 break down plus I can actually SEE muscles where I knew they had been hiding before. Here is a link for 30DS so you don't have to buy it. I have links for the other workouts (RI30 and Total Body) if you're interested. I am a cheapskate and refuse to pay for anything I don't have to :wink:
    http://youtu.be/1Pc-NizMgg8
  • MeanSophieCat
    MeanSophieCat Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    About 6 weeks after my daughter was born I did Shed and Shred. I had done yoga and walking during my pregnancy but nothing strenuous. I was able to get through it with some minor modifications. I had some pelvic pain from my pregnancy that lasted until my daughter was about 4 months old. It wasn't hard to modify the moves though to make sure I was pain-free. I've also done 30 Day Shred. Both were fun and worked great.

One thing about her workouts is that all the ones I've done contain jumping jacks. Despite thousands of kegels, jumping jacks (and only jumping jacks) make me feel like I have to pee. The things we endure for our kids :)

Good luck and congrats!
  • StephFork
    StephFork Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the fast replies! Now I can't wait to start the program. I think I'll take your advice about the 30 day shred first. Thanks for the link!! I'm all about the free. :) Thats too funny about the jumping jacks! Now I want to get started before my 6 week check up. It's on Oct. 3rd so not too far away.
  • Naely
    Naely Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    30 Day Shred
  • sherbear2678
    sherbear2678 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I like her kickboxing (kickbox fast fix) workout
  • sweetchildomine
    sweetchildomine Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    She has a dvd that is called "Jillian Michaels for Beginners". I am assuming that one would be best for beginners lol.
  • cindyhoney2
    cindyhoney2 Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    One more to agree w/ 30 Day Shred. I am doing both level one and two in one day because I didn't feel it was burning enough calories but it's a good workout. I'm looking forward to her other workouts, might do Revolution next. Good luck to you and congrats on the little one :) (they are so worth it :))
  • Sheilav330
    Options
    You should try her Yoga Meltdown it is not the yoga u relax in!! lol it kicks my butt definitely helped me get toned and more flexible it relieved my shoulder pain i was having due to being out of shape and not exercising :) u should check it out
  • Maryt1961
    Maryt1961 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    What's nice -for us---is some kind person put 30 day shred on you tube, so you can try it out and if its what you're looking for, great, if not you can adjust to one of the others. I don't know if the others are on there or not...just never looked
  • StephFork
    Options
    Oh wow! I didn't know that she had a beginner one or a yoga one. I may start with the beginner one now. There's a front and backside one. I better start with my front (belly) since I just had a baby. I know these stretch marks wont be going away anytime soon but I can at least get flat abs! Anyone want to start up with me Oct. 3rd?
  • Rachelito
    Rachelito Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Yoga Meltdown! Its not as high impact as the others but will get you sweating and feeling sore the next day.
  • FitandFab33
    FitandFab33 Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Oh wow! I didn't know that she had a beginner one or a yoga one. I may start with the beginner one now. There's a front and backside one. I better start with my front (belly) since I just had a baby. I know these stretch marks wont be going away anytime soon but I can at least get flat abs! Anyone want to start up with me Oct. 3rd?

Be careful doing any kind of abs in the first few (think 2-3) months after baby. Your abdominal muscles have stretched and need time to come together and "heal" properly. I still had a "gap" about 11 weeks after my baby was born so I didn't start with any ab intense exercises until after he was 3 months (a couple weeks ago).

Edited to add: I started the 30 Day Shred yesterday and I am way more sore than I thought I'd be (good thing). And.. my stretch marks have already started to fade (and they were BAD) so don't fret over those too much either!
  • StephFork
    Options
    That's a good point about the gap in the abs. I don't feel one but I will ask my OB about that when I go in for my 6 week apt. I don't want to hurt myself or do something without being able to get results.
  • StephFork
    Options
    Sounds like Yoga Meltdown might be a better fit to start with.
  • DJ2120
    DJ2120 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I am starting the 30 day shred & I just started today & I like it so far. I like that it's a mix of cardio & light weight training. I have been doing 45 mins of cardio & some weight training as my usual work out & I am looking more bulky which I'm not happy about. I like that she is more about toning & creating lean muscles using light weights & your own body weight. I also love that it's only 30 mins a day instead of the typical 60 to 90 mins I have been doing. I'm excited to see what my results will be.
  • fldiver97
    fldiver97 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • kiannlouise
    kiannlouise Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I'm on Day 7 of 30 Day Shred & had a c section bub 7 weeks ago. My god was the first day hard! It's up to you really though, depends how hard & how quick you want to do it all I guess.

Congratulations on the baby too !
  • sleibo87
    sleibo87 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Body Revolution is great because she works your way into it. You do the same 3 videos for 2 weeks and then move up. All her workouts have some intensity to them but I loved that she gives the options to modify and then every few weeks the workouts get harder. This way your body changes faster. When I started week 1 I was doing girl pushups and by the end of the 90 days i was able to do her bridge pushups! Great program