I don't understand my metabolism

Options
Soooo. I recently (last 6 weeks) have been trying to increase my cals. Long story short, I struggle with anorexia/bulimia, most recently with pretty significant restriction. I'm currently around 10 lbs under the lower range of where my weight naturally falls. In a nutshell, I've been eating way more and at first I gained, then I lost and now I'm starting to gain again. My problem is that I want to gain healthy but I feel like I'm gaining fat. I also don't understand why I can eat a lot at times and lose but then eat lower Cal and feel like I'm gaining. Ugh. Suggestions? Also, sorry but my diary isn't very helpful because I haven't really been logging lately (but I can recall exactly what I've eaten on any given day if you want to ask).

Replies

• malicent
    Options
    LMAO YOUR NAME IS HUNGER GAMES. Totally fits for the current situation you're in.

Your body is a fascinating vessel. Ever heard of the term yo-yo dieting?

Let me break it down in a way that you can better understand. Your metabolism is like a fire in a fireplace.

When you first start the fire, it's slow to build up right? No matter how much wood you put in there, the flame is small, and takes a bit of time for it to get bigger
    when you eat a little, your metabolism is only working at, oh say 50%.

Once the meals become balanced and consistent, so does your metabolism. Keyword: balanced. On both ends, consuming calories and burning calories, it goes at an even pace, nice and smooth.

When you stop feeding the fire with wood, the flame begins to dwindle, not immediately though--it hangs in there fighting to live, but it gets smaller, and smaller, and smaller, until finally, it goes out because there is nothing left to burn. Get it? When you eat less, and less, and less, your metabolism reacts by going from 100% back down to 50% and below.

We're biological organisms and the chemical reactions take time, it's not just instantaneous where you push a button and it's like BAM IM BURNING 100% BABY. No.

THIS is where the term yo-yo dieting comes from.

You take a fat girl who is sad cause she's fat, so she starves herself, kicking her body into starvation mode. Then she binges late at night, eating a tub of ice cream and box of donuts. Her metabolism doesn't have time to kick in and burn those calories, so not only does the overage get stored as fat, but IT ALL GETS STORED AS FAT.

Also she could lose weight over a period of time like a month or something, let's say she loses 10 pounds that month, and feels better, as if she's -safe- to eat junk again. Her body is used to not eating anything, or burning anything, so by eating junk she'll rapidly gain it back and THEN MORE cause her body is like OM NOM NOM I WANT IT ALLLLL.

I know my explanations are ****, but for more info just google up "yoyo dieting" and "defensive weight." Our bodies weights are sometimes set like a thermostat. It likes to be a certain weight and burns extra if it goes too high or burns less if it dips too low. The hardship of weight loss is the extra amount of effort and work it takes not only to lose that weight, but to ALSO decrease the number that our 'thermostats' are set to.

Life is about balance, we don't like to be too hot or too cold, too careless or too serious, too dark or too bright, too fat or too skinny, too quiet or too loud, etc etc. You get me right.

1. Think 'balance': eat a variety of colors and flavors when it comes too food, don't be too mindful of specifics
    2. Think 'steady': break it down to like 500 calories per meal, breakfast being the highest in calories, eat at even times

CAUSE TRUST ME if you break it down and eat 3 meals a day and snacks inbetween, or 5 small meals a day, it's better than skipping a meal and eating a bigger meal for dinner. Metabolism-wise especially.

3. Think 'drive': to build up a healthy weight, get some milk/dairy products in there for vitamin D and calcium, this will increase your bone density and you'll be less likely to get osteoporosis and whatnot. You also should start doing some resistance/weight training--this will also increase bone density, endurance, stamina, and strength. Healthy weight gain will come from muscle mass (lean body mass). Go in for some tests to see what your body fat % is and lean body mass %. Swimming is also good too. Remember, you are a woman and increased body fat is natural and healthy for you. It gives you curves, makes your boobs look bigger, and is good for the baby if you are preggo.

GOOD LUCK AND DO NOT GIVE UP ON ME! I MEAN YOURSELF^^^
  • Its going to take your body some time to get used to eating enough and exercising. You can eat right and exercise and not lose weight. Exercise helps to set your body in a healthy wonderful rhythm of all around well being, as does eating right and healthy. Whole grains, lean meats, fruits, all kinds of vegetables, milk, cheese, whole wheat bread and pasta, there's so much you can eat that your body will thank you for. You have been treating your body harmfully for a considerable amount of time so it might take longer than 6 weeks to get it back on track.

Tell me more info. How much you weigh, your age, your height? I can tell you about how many calories you should be eating (working up to it) and the kinds of exercising you can do to build yourself up to an active lifestyle.

You can do it :) I'm happy you are recovering and want to do good things to yourself!
  • HungerGame82
    HungerGame82 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    C'mon people....