Sugar Alcohol

Options
So I've been trying to find a sugar free (NOT a no sugar added) ice cream because I have a MAJOR sweet tooth and do great with all of my numbers until it comes to the sugar. So my question is even though there is no sugar in "sugar free" products they still have sugar alcohol, doesn't that still count on your sugar intake and affect your numbers?

Replies

• determined_01
    Options
    bump
  • aubhob
    Options
    the way i understand it-yes the amount of sugar alcohol listed such as 6 g sugaralcohol is equal to 1/2 or 3 g of sugar
  • fablevins
    fablevins Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I think sugar alcohol is actually worse than straight sugar because your body has a harder time breaking it down.
  • Crayvn
    Crayvn Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    its a huge debate...hopefully this wont turn into a 20 page thread. hehehehe.... i am not even going state my side...do some research..google..and make your own judgement. :)))

A diabetic might have a good answer for you as well...since they really have to take their sugar seriously.

Just remember..natural sugar isnt bad for you :)
  • fablevins
    fablevins Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    you may want to try gelato because it often has less sugar than regular ice cream.
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    I try to stick to under 8 grams of sugar and sugar alcohol is way way out for me try using health natural things to suppress those cravings i like green smoothies for example
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    Oh and try cherries mmmm
  • NYChick84
    NYChick84 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    So I've been trying to find a sugar free (NOT a no sugar added) ice cream because I have a MAJOR sweet tooth and do great with all of my numbers until it comes to the sugar. So my question is even though there is no sugar in "sugar free" products they still have sugar alcohol, doesn't that still count on your sugar intake and affect your numbers?

They don't get totally absorbed from digestion. So they usually aren't totally counted by like Atkins and such saying they don't count at all. Since not totally absorbed, not the impact on blood sugar, and therefore less insulin response to it.

That means it's leaving your body, not as energy used and warmth as byproduct, but through digestive tract.

Or as some have discovered, there is a line where if you eat too much, calling it the undigestive track might be more accurate, and your stomach and everything past will let you know, you ate too much of it.

Getting the drift, or rather, hearing the grumble?

Ever hear the side effect of that fat substitute that the body couldn't absorb either? Ya, it can be that same side effect for some, though it usually just depends on quantity and you personally.
  • determined_01
    Options
    Thank you everyone for all of your insight!
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    Too much sugar alcohol for me means well, too much bathroom time.

However, there isn't the same insulin response to sugar alcohols as there is to sugar. It's a much lowered response.