Net Calories

Options
I am confused on whether to eat only the specific caloric intake even when exercise or eat back the calories burned. I do not want to put my body into starvation mode. I don't feel famished if I do not eat the calories back though.

Any input?

Replies

• DaniKenmir
    DaniKenmir Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Well mostly people will argue about this but I eat mine if I'm hungry if not I don't bother
  • ebony__
    ebony__ Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Well mostly people will argue about this but I eat mine if I'm hungry if not I don't bother

I do the same
    I've had days where my net calories Are in the minus
  • tania2287
    tania2287 Posts: 236 Member
    Options

This is what l do. Same days l am more hungry then others. Just listen to your body and what you feel really, everyone is different.
  • levstein
    Options
    I never eat back my exercise calories I never feel hungry I eat as near to 1200 calories a day and lose weight consistantly.
  • appleseeds
    appleseeds Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I've read that you dont need to worry about starvation mode while you have a high body fat percentage.
  • Laddiegirl
    Laddiegirl Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    There are people who think you should and some who think you shouldn't, its really up to you. If you're hungry, eat them. If not, then don't.

I really only use mine if I'm eating out a lot that day/weekend. During the week I'm usually not hungry enough and a little under my daily allowence anyhow. I think that as I lose weight and my daily allowance lowers, I'll be more inclined to eat some of them back on a regular basis but for now I'm good and consistantly losing weight.
  • jub2010
    Options
    My body tells me if I need to eat some of my calories burnt in excercise.. If I dont feel hungry than I don't bother...Listen to your body it will soon tell you.

27987727.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • woolfe87
    woolfe87 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys so much!
  • 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    MFP is set up to give a calorie deficit so you can lose safely. This allows those who can not exercise to lose weight. If you are able to exercise to improve your physical condition you generate a larger calories deficit. When it gets too large your body responds by producing hormones that make syour body hoard energy. This slows/stops your loss. To keep losing you need to net your calorie goal since your planned safe deficit is already built in.

the problem in eating back your exercise calories is that the MFP exercise calculator can be overly generous. So use a HRM to measure your burn or check other online sites for a comparison or you can use the roadmap and base your calorie goal on a % cut from your TDEE - total daily energy expenditure - this factors both your cut and your exercise into your target so you can pre-plan daily menus without a big hit ant the end of the day if you are a workout fiend.

calories.http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • dexfatpants
    dexfatpants Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    There are people who think you should and some who think you shouldn't, its really up to you. If you're hungry, eat them. If not, then don't.

I really only use mine if I'm eating out a lot that day/weekend. During the week I'm usually not hungry enough and a little under my daily allowence anyhow. I think that as I lose weight and my daily allowance lowers, I'll be more inclined to eat some of them back on a regular basis but for now I'm good and consistantly losing weight.

Agreed! Some days it is hard for me to get up to the daily allowance , unless I have eaten out. But like others have said listen to your body! Everyone is different :)
  • susan9
    susan9 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I have found that I should never eat less than 1400 calories even though MFP says my goal will be reached if I eat 1290 with no exercise. I've heard that if you eat a protein, carb and fruit or fat every 3 -4 hours your blood sugar shouldn't drop and make you hungry. I'm trying to make sure I do that.

When I lost 50 lbs 3 yerrs ago in a year, I was never hungry.
  • brevislux
    brevislux Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I only eat them back if I'm hungry.
  • dinerroll
    dinerroll Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    MFP is set up to give a calorie deficit so you can lose safely. This allows those who can not exercise to lose weight. If you are able to exercise to improve your physical condition you generate a larger calories deficit. When it gets too large your body responds by producing hormones that make syour body hoard energy. This slows/stops your loss. To keep losing you need to net your calorie goal since your planned safe deficit is already built in.

the problem in eating back your exercise calories is that the MFP exercise calculator can be overly generous. So use a HRM to measure your burn or check other online sites for a comparison or you can use the roadmap and base your calorie goal on a % cut from your TDEE - total daily energy expenditure - this factors both your cut and your exercise into your target so you can pre-plan daily menus without a big hit ant the end of the day if you are a workout fiend.

calories.http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

^^^This, although I doubt OP is obsessive/experienced enough to fully understand the post.
  • MsRelisse
    Options

Thank you for explaining this! I haven't been successful in figuring out why, when I've been under my daily calorie limit, MFP tells me I'm eating far too little.