Warming up before lifting advice needed.

Options
l have only started doing any weights recently so looking for some advice.

When I was given my first 'plan' from the gym it didn't mention any warm ups (except cardio for 15 mins prior) but I was only lifting very light weights. Have been slowly upping the weights about once a week/fortnight.

I usually do 3 sets x - 10-12 for each exercise but yesterday had to stop half way through as felt a little tweak and my upper back/neck was in a huge amount of pain. I've had this before but not linked with lifting, and a few trips to a chiro sorted it but I don't want it to happen again so looking for advice on how to warm up before lifting.

Replies

• Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    Not sure if it's right but what I do is gentle jogging on the spot, windmill arms, twist side to side, leg raises...I do this for about ten minutes and it works for me.
  • scorpiotwinkles
    scorpiotwinkles Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I row for 1000m, level 8 34/36 strokes per min. Works the whole body.
  • gjulie
    gjulie Posts: 391
    Options
    hi there hope all is well with you now,Im no expert much the same as urself I started lifting about 4 months ago I use the machines in the gym Im a bit nervous of the free weights,Im just wondering if what you are lifting might be a bit too heavy i would warm up with about 15 minutes cardio also I can identify with what you say because I felt a slight twinge like that one morning so i brought the weights down a notch,I cant advise on technique I wouldnt know about that but your instructor will know,make sure you are well and rested before lifting again! best of luck!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Your 15 minutes of cardio is your warm up but make sure it's working whole body, rowing or elliptical trainer for example. If you are doing very light weights you don't need much warm up. Another way is start each exercise very light with high repititions, take very small rests between sets and increase the weight while decreasing repetitions. Exercise specific warm up in other words.
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Start with a few warm up sets with very light weight, add a little more weight for each set. Your last rep should be to failure. It can be a good idea to stretch between sets.

Make sure you are getting proper nutrition before, and after your workout.
  • kimothy38
    kimothy38 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I do 10 min warm up on the rower and elliptical machine followed by some muscle specific exercises and stretches. For chest I do say 20 burpees or press ups then stretches. Do stretches between sets also. For squats I do jumping squats using just body weight then quad stretches. Alternatively starting out with light weights and working your way up is good too. If you are in pain you should get a trainer to check your technique.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    When I'm on an upper body day I'll use a band to get my shoulders and upper back warmed up and then move into my warm-up sets which are never more than 3 to 5 reps. You want to warm-up, not exhaust yourself for the real work. Lower body day I use dynamic stretching like body weight squats to get those muscles going and really to get my hip flexors loose. I'll do a side-to-side stretch to help loosen up my hamstrings, hip flexors the rest of my leg. Some times I'll do a couple jumps. The only pre-workout static stretch I do is for my hip flexors. There's been some references that static stretching of the hip flexors is actually good before a workout. Again, lower body warm-up sets are never more than 3 to 5 reps.
  • runfreddyrun
    runfreddyrun Posts: 137 Member
    Options

why are you doing such a high SPM?? i'm no expert but everything i've read on the concept2 site points to focusing more on high Watts, and less on SPM, keeping them between 22-28 SPM.

also, if you have a concept2 i'm wondering why you have the damper set to 8? for weight/fat loss they recommend keeping it between 3-5.

maybe you are doing something different than i have read.
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I was advised by my PT to do 5-10 mins at 80% intensity on the rowing machine. Also, when doing weighted squats, I do a set of 20 at a modest weight before hitting shorter sets at heavier weights.
  • eric5150ii
    eric5150ii Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    One thing i have done before is a 'No weight' set, using the empty bar or lightest weights, run through the motion that you are about to do for 12 reps. That gets your form set before adding weight, plus moves the same parts you are about to use.
  • scorpiotwinkles
    scorpiotwinkles Posts: 215 Member
    Options

why are you doing such a high SPM?? i'm no expert but everything i've read on the concept2 site points to focusing more on high Watts, and less on SPM, keeping them between 22-28 SPM.

also, if you have a concept2 i'm wondering why you have the damper set to 8? for weight/fat loss they recommend keeping it between 3-5.

I am strong and this is what my trainer recommends for my warmup. I know it's over the top but it isn't difficult and only takes 4min41sec or thereabouts. I then go into the weight area and lift heavy for an hour in circuits/supersets. Love it!
  • joannathechef
    joannathechef Posts: 484 Member
    Options

^^^^
    This

I row nearly everyday using a concept 2 - damper 3 (you can do a drag test to confirm but 8 is not good). Then yes I agree it is the effort you put in rather than the SPM - do strong slower strokes and get your split time down and your watts up!
  • Jynus
    Jynus Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    1) Active warmup is optional. But prob recommended. Here you do something simple like a jog for a few min, then put the body through full ROM movements covering all the ones that you plan on working that day. DO NOT STATIC STRETCH.

2) Proper lifting is you do WARMUP sets to start. The idea is you have warmup sets, and working sets. So when we say 3x8, thats the WORKING set. Before you do that 3x8, you do another 3x8 BEFORE that of much lighter weight, full rom, controlled, to work out any kinks and get the CNS ready for that movement pattern under full load.

3) Poor form can tweak just as easily even with low weight. for example, Benching with your elbows way out puts FAR more pressure on your shoulders and rotators than elbows in. And vast majority of noobs bench elbows out just as the default motion. Squats with knees behind toes will increase hip sheer force, squts with toes way far out so your back is almost perpendicular to the ground increases knee sheer force. etc etc. So this could just as easily be a form issue too.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    2) Proper lifting is you do WARMUP sets to start. The idea is you have warmup sets, and working sets. So when we say 3x8, thats the WORKING set. Before you do that 3x8, you do another 3x8 BEFORE that of much lighter weight, full rom, controlled, to work out any kinks and get the CNS ready for that movement pattern under full load.

"If you don't have time to warm-up, you don't have time to lift."

Something like that...