addicted to bread?

Options
This may sound weird, but I have a bread addiction.
I will try and fight it most days.

Doesn't matter what type of bread it is - white, wholegrain, wholemeal, pumpkin bread -it's all the same.
I try to keep it to 2 slices in the morning but then I can't stop thinking about bread for the rest of the day...
Has anyone else overcome a bread addiction? How did you do it?

I live at home still so can't just get my parents to chuck it or not buy it...

Replies

• debrabeach
    Options
    Hi-I have the same problem, I can give up sweets but not bread. I allow myself bread at one meal and eat it very slowly and enjoy every bite. Then I try to stay full on boring stuff and drink lots of water through the day. It helps!
  • DaniKenmir
    DaniKenmir Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Today was the first day in months I didn't have a sandwich for lunch, I had enough time in my day to cook a bowl of veggies and it was really good and filling and I didn't want bread, though NOW I'm thinking about bread
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    Today was the first day in months I didn't have a sandwich for lunch, I had enough time in my day to cook a bowl of veggies and it was really good and filling and I didn't want bread, though NOW I'm thinking about bread

Sorry.. :/ Nice work though! :)
  • DaniKenmir
    DaniKenmir Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    that's ok I don't have any at the moment and it's late here so I'll sleep it off.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I eat atleast 6 slices a day (Sara Lee Whole Wheat Bread 35 calories a slice), it fits in my caloric intake and macro's for the day so no way I am giving up my morning toast and lunchtime sammy. Have lost a few pounds in the process too, so it's all good... Best of Luck!!
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    I am coming through a bread (and butter) addiction. Basically my parents and grandparents used to treat me with the crust end of the loaf and slather it with dairy butter. This set a pattern for future eating.

The only way for me to break the chain that works is to say to myself that bread and butter does not exist. I am holding to that way of thinking and going to bed slightly hungry. It's actually quite easy once you start to get sleepy and you wake up really hungry and enjoy your breakfast.

The only bread I allow myself is with a proper meal and never as a snack - example today is two slices of wholemeal bread, humus, a tomato and onion for my lunch and that's after a strenuous yoga class this morning - tastes like heaven after a good session.

I am doing the same with biscuits - they don't exist!
  • MrsWilsoncroft
    MrsWilsoncroft Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    Mmmmm now you mention it I could just eat some tiger bread
  • BeautyFromPain
    Options
    that's ok I don't have any at the moment and it's late here so I'll sleep it off.

Aussie?
  • BeautyFromPain
    Options
    Hi-I have the same problem, I can give up sweets but not bread. I allow myself bread at one meal and eat it very slowly and enjoy every bite. Then I try to stay full on boring stuff and drink lots of water through the day. It helps!

I will try, thanks =)
  • YoYo1951
    Options
    Bread is my favorite thing too. I do eat it, almost daily, but if I am going to add it to my calorie counts, which I do, I buy the really yummy good for you stuff with whole wheat, pumpkin and sunflower seeds throughout, $6.00 a loaf at the bakery kind. I estimate it is about a 100 calories a slice, but I count it toward my intake. It is okay to eat bread, just keep your numbers close. Drink lots of water, and eat the other things that are good for you. There is nothing taboo on MFP, just use more calories than you need, and you will lose weight. That is why I like MFP so much. It is teaching me how to eat. Count your calories, you will be fine.
  • BeautyFromPain
    Options
    Bread is my favorite thing too. I do eat it, almost daily, but if I am going to add it to my calorie counts, which I do, I buy the really yummy good for you stuff with whole wheat, pumpkin and sunflower seeds throughout, $6.00 a loaf at the bakery kind. I estimate it is about a 100 calories a slice, but I count it toward my intake. It is okay to eat bread, just keep your numbers close. Drink lots of water, and eat the other things that are good for you. There is nothing taboo on MFP, just use more calories than you need, and you will lose weight. That is why I like MFP so much. It is teaching me how to eat. Count your calories, you will be fine.

I don't want to cut back for weight loss purposes, but because I feel like it is interfering with my life...
  • trixiemou
    trixiemou Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    How about having low cal cracker type biscuits, ryvita and the likes.Then where you normally would have bread, have a cracker instead. That way you are reducing the calories and possibly the habit.
    To stay away from bread I can not even butter it for anyone else as I would have to have a slice and if its on a plate on the table it has to be far away from me. Then having resisted if there is any left at the end of the meal do not clear it away, let some one else do it. Crazy innit !

Then arrange your meals around having some. That way the craving may not get too bad.

Good luck
  • brown6267
    brown6267 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Have you read the book "Wheat Belly"? It is written by a cardiologist which explains why we may be addicted to bread. I have limited the bread in my diet, and it has really helped a lot for weight loss and having more energy.
  • MelbourneBelle
    MelbourneBelle Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    As well as enjoying bread, I find it a *really* easy thing to eat to feel full. I am trying to cut back on the amount of bread - and carbs in generally - I eat.
    For me the key is to find a substitute that will fill me up. Lots of veggies helps.
    Good luck!
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say I'm addicted but I do get regular cravings for bread.

I try to limit myself to two slices a day simply because I think having too much bread a day would be boring for me. I also prefer to get fresh bread (which can be a weakness) so sometimes I'll hold out for that. However, if it's fresh, and if it's laden with grains or baked with cheese...I could probably eat an entire loaf in one day.
  • opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I love bread, and if I go a few days without eating any, then I crave it. But I incorporate it into my diet - I have a bagel for lunch every day, and I often buy a tiger baguette to eat over the weekend.
  • jlohcook
    jlohcook Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    There will be days when I will allow myself - bread days, ie bread for lunch and dinner, but i try to ensure its not just white bread, choose rye or wheat btead. Count in the calories and make sure it's not overboard.
  • aamberrr
    aamberrr Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Alright, I hope I don't get a lot of angry responses for this, but this is what worked for me, personally...

I used to ALWAYS crave carbs... not just bread, but cereal, pasta, potatoes, anything starchy or sugary. I took a couple weeks and just stopped eating them. I cut carbs/sugar (other than fruits and veggies) almost completely out of my diet. It was really tough at first, but honestly, shortly after I stopped eating it, I stopped craving it. Before I did this, it was like eating it made me crave it more.

Now I DO eat some carbs again - almost all whole-wheat stuff, although very occasionally I'll indulge in something not so good. The difference is, now I feel like I can let myself enjoy this stuff but I'm not craving it all the time.

I don't know if that would work for you, or if it's just something that helped me out. It might be something you should try... some people say that cutting stuff out makes them binge on it later, so it might be something you shouldn't do... I've never really found this to be the case with me, and I do believe that if you are truly "addicted" to something, then to break that addiction, you need to stay away from it. Now with carbs, eventually you will probably need to eat some of these foods again, but like I said, for me it was about breaking the cycle.
  • Soloflyergirl2
    Soloflyergirl2 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I was told to fill up on protein...... fish... tuna.... so that you feel too full to want bread.
    :happy:
  • sliceofsarah
    sliceofsarah Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Alright, I hope I don't get a lot of angry responses for this, but this is what worked for me, personally...

I used to ALWAYS crave carbs... not just bread, but cereal, pasta, potatoes, anything starchy or sugary. I took a couple weeks and just stopped eating them. I cut carbs/sugar (other than fruits and veggies) almost completely out of my diet. It was really tough at first, but honestly, shortly after I stopped eating it, I stopped craving it. Before I did this, it was like eating it made me crave it more.

Now I DO eat some carbs again - almost all whole-wheat stuff, although very occasionally I'll indulge in something not so good. The difference is, now I feel like I can let myself enjoy this stuff but I'm not craving it all the time.

I don't know if that would work for you, or if it's just something that helped me out. It might be something you should try... some people say that cutting stuff out makes them binge on it later, so it might be something you shouldn't do... I've never really found this to be the case with me, and I do believe that if you are truly "addicted" to something, then to break that addiction, you need to stay away from it. Now with carbs, eventually you will probably need to eat some of these foods again, but like I said, for me it was about breaking the cycle.

I think this is something for the OP to consider. There have been numerous foods I felt "addicted" to and was in a cycle of craving them and eating them nearly every day (some examples: diet soda, cheesecake :blushing: , bread somewhat). Each of these things I at one time or another just decided to stop buying/eating (I would not recommend trying to give up all your vices at once). It can be very hard at first when you crave that food, but after awhile the cravings subsided for me. And when the food is not in your house it makes it easier to resist temptation, because you would have to expend a lot more effort to go get the food at the store, which will make you think twice before giving in!

I have found I was later able to begin eating my "addicting" foods again in limited moderation. For me, that means if I go out to eat I may order a diet soda for example. I am able to enjoy it occasionally while not feeling the cycle of cravings coming back. I do not buy any of the foods I mentioned anymore and keep them in my kitchen however, because none of them were very healthy for me anyways and I feel like if I did start to consume them again without as much moderation the addicted feeling could come back.

Anyways, that's just my anecdotal advice! It worked for me.