Pain in back of head

Options
I attended a kettlebell class last week. When doing swings, I suddenly experienced a fairly intense pain in my lower skull at the back of my head ( the bit above the neck, where it dips in). It happened towards the end of the class and it went away. I put it down to bad technique and didn't think that much of it. However, I just attempted to go for a run there and had the same pain almost immediately and had to stop. I find this concerning as the 2 activities are so different brought about the identical pain. Has anyone else experienced anything similar and can offer advice on what this might be?

Replies

• 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    My guess would be that you pulled a muscle in your upper back or shoulder and this is causing the neck pain. If you were tired toward the end of your kettlebell workout or simply didn't have good control of the kettlebell, it could easily happen. The swinging of your arms in a run could aggravate it.

Rest, icing and ibuprofen for a few days should probably take care of it.
  • Marquism123
    Marquism123 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    The pain definitely is not in my neck though; it is the base of my skull. Do you think that could still be related? It is weird as I had no pain in between
  • Marquism123
    Options
    Anyone else any thoughts?
  • grassette
    grassette Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    See a doctor ASAP. This could be quite serious.
  • Penfoldsplace
    Options
    Pain can radiate, so it's possible you pulled something in your neck, but you feel it a bit higher. its best to get it checked by a doctor, better to be safe than sorry. In the meantime try rest, heat and cold packs and ibuprofen.
  • Marquism123
    Options
    See a doctor ASAP. This could be quite serious.

Thanks for the concern but am pretty sure it is some kind of weird muscle strain only! Just in a weird place
  • Marquism123
    Options
    Pain can radiate, so it's possible you pulled something in your neck, but you feel it a bit higher. its best to get it checked by a doctor, better to be safe than sorry. In the meantime try rest, heat and cold packs and ibuprofen.

You could be right. The pain is in that dip at the back of the head where it becomes softer, so I imagine there could be muscles in there that I have managed to strain in some way. Just need to rest up, which is frustrating. Had hoped to find someone else on here with a similar experience!
  • grassette
    grassette Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    You've got a lot of blood vessels and nerves going in there. I was thinking aneurysm. Don't do self-diagnosis in such a fragile area. Get it checked out.
  • Marquism123
    Options
    You've got a lot of blood vessels and nerves going in there. I was thinking aneurysm. Don't do self-diagnosis in such a fragile area. Get it checked out.

Ok - thanks. Will do
  • miss_grad
    Options
    When I was younger and in gymnastics, I had a nasty fall on my back/neck and started to have some huge issues with getting migraine-like pains. Landed me in the hospital a few times because the pain was overwhelming, I couldn't keep down food/fluids.

I want to echo what others have said about seeing a doctor -- just to be in the clear.
  • apocalypsepwnie
    Options
    Neck/spine/head pain that has sudden onset and/or causes you to have to stop physical activity should never be ignored or written off. Better to be safe than sorry.