Do you share your weight loss journey with everyone?

overit75
overit75 Posts: 150 Member
i have been exercising on a somewhat regular basis for quite a few years now and not having much success mainly because I wasn't giving the workouts my all and I wasn't combining it with proper eating or watching my calories as much as I am now. I don't live near my family, so I have been embarrassed when I have shared with them that I am on a diet and then see them and I am heavier than I was the last time I saw them. So this time I am not sharing with many people that I am losing and really serious about this journey, though I really am serious about it. My husband, Mom, and best friend know and that is pretty much it, and the wonderful friends I have on here.

I was just wondering if anyone else is keeping it to themselves....

Replies

• Frozen300
    Frozen300 Posts: 223 Member
    Everyone at work can tell I'm dropping weight, so I tell everyone who is willing to listen. It's more of a motivator when I tell people at work, they are watching now, waiting for my fall off the wagon.
    I'm not telling relatives though, I want to see their expressions when next they see me. :noway:
  • Darkskinned88
    Darkskinned88 Posts: 1,177 Member
    i kept it to myself probably until i lost about 40 lbs and it became fairly obvious, part of it was in case i failed (this is my 3rd attempt) i didn't want anyone to know that i was even trying
  • katamus
    katamus Posts: 2,363 Member
    I told the few people that I see every day. But I never said I wanted to lose weight, I just said that I'm watching what I eat and working on my fitness. I don't feel the need to tell my family or the Facebook world.
  • xxnellie146xx
    xxnellie146xx Posts: 996 Member
    I didn't tell anyone. People started to ask questions once they noticed I lost weight. I have always been sensitive about weight and I don't really like to talk about it at all.
  • I have lost 50 lbs in 3 months, and I have shared my story with lots of people, whether they are on MFP or colleagues etc. I took the time to write all my experiences down, partly because I didn't want to have to manually tell everyone and also as a motivator for myself (it's great to log and track everything because it keeps you honest). Send me a friend invite and I will share more of my story with you.

Terry
  • amez1974
    amez1974 Posts: 213 Member
    I pretty much kept it to myself. My dh figured out after a few days that we were eating bit differently. My family (and his) live several hours away from us, so I didn't tell them. My in laws noticed right away when they came to visit-I think I was down around 40 lbs then. I told my mom after I had stuck with it a few weeks and was having success.

At this point people whom I haven't see in awhile, will ask me about it. And folks that I see on a regular basis are use to seeing the new, smaller me. If anyone asks about my weight loss-I give them as much or as little info as they want.
  • BABetter1
    BABetter1 Posts: 618 Member
    I started out not really talking about it. But, as people started to notice and ask questions, I started talking. And, once I had hit a small milestone, I posted it on Facebook. Then, I didn't say anything about it for a month or two. And, nobody on Facebook was mentioning it or asking how it was going, and I thought it was a little odd. Until, I realized, they probably aren't bringing it up because they probably assume that I have fallen off the wagon like so many of us have in the past. So, every now and then, when I hit a pretty decent milestone, I'll post an update. So, I don't talk about it all the time (except on here), but I do talk about it.
  • hellokathy
    hellokathy Posts: 540 Member
    I try not to make a huge show of it. I told my team at work mostly because I'm quite close with one of my coworkers and the others will hear us talking about our journeys anyway (he's working out / losing weight, too). But other than that, hardly anyone knows I'm serious. My friends know I've signed up for a gym membership but we don't discuss my progress or anything. Sometimes, when I'm particularly happy about a loss or NSV, I'll share it with them but I try not to let it show how serious I am because I'd feel uncomfortable about putting so much focus on myself.
  • kie_kie
    kie_kie Posts: 106 Member
    no just close friends and family and who ever else is on a weight loss journey like myself
  • sh4690
    sh4690 Posts: 169 Member
    I have lost 50 lbs in 3 months, and I have shared my story with lots of people, whether they are on MFP or colleagues etc. I took the time to write all my experiences down, partly because I didn't want to have to manually tell everyone and also as a motivator for myself (it's great to log and track everything because it keeps you honest). Send me a friend invite and I will share more of my story with you.

Terry

I don't have the motivation for this, or I will have it then it goes away again, hoping to stay on track though! I have set a goal that I want to be own to by the end of october for a holiday (not a ridiculous one though!) so hopefully this will help keep me motivated and on track!! :D x
  • tennisbabe94
    tennisbabe94 Posts: 444 Member
    I kept it to myself until I'd lost about 16 pounds and my friends started noticing. The jig was up! Haha so I told some of them. It wasn't something I felt ashamed about or anything. In fact, I know that my friends admired me for it and I motivated some to start exercising more and eating better. I wasn't ever overweight so I think they knew it was a personal choice to become fit.
  • I'm not sharing with most people (well, except my local friends on here who obviously are aware, lol) just because they'll figure it out eventually. Even the people I live with don't know, and we all eat together. I'm sure it'll come up eventually, but it just hasn't yet.
  • sevencallmemom
    sevencallmemom Posts: 505 Member
    I had to at first, just for the accountability and it was hard after failing SO MANY TIMES in the past. Then we made some changes in our life...new church, new friends...and I didn't say much at first, but then I finally shared because I felt like I needed to start a fitness group and wanted people to know why I took it so seriously. Sharing my "before" pic on a big screen in front of a hundred people who'd have never known that was my life a year earlier was humbling to say the least, but it spoke to people and our little fitness class has grown from 5-15+ and is still growing.

It just felt like a waste of my experience not to share it.
  • kinrsa
    kinrsa Posts: 111 Member
    Nope, never, no one.

I don't think it's anyone else's business & I feel pressured when other people know. Plus, my office has some seriously nosey people who comment on everyone's looks & their diets. It drives me crazy.
  • Wife is joining me on this lifestyle change, and the people at work know the broad strokes, just because it is easier to tell them than to constantly turn down their lunch invitations (we often go and pick up lunch for the office and then return and eat it). I figues as the weight comes off, the people that see me will know.
  • sleibo87
    sleibo87 Posts: 403 Member
    My Co-workers know, mostly cause they buy crap food all the time so they saw me change my habits, and well because they saw me lose weight. My parents and brother and in laws know and some friends I see more often but I kept it from my sisters. I don't see them often and one of them made a rude comment back in May about my weight (mostly because she is unhappy with herself I am sure, so I tried not to get too offended, but hey ITS FAMILY! be nice) So I am waiting till I see them at my sisters big Halloween Party. No idea I am down almost 40 and hoping to lose another 10 by then. Only 15-20 from my UGW. But most people know but I don't have a facebook and I don't need to make a big deal out of it because everyone else makes a big deal out of it lol. 40 pounds on a girl whos 4'11 is a big difference! Went from obese bmi to normal bmi in 5 months.
  • PJtwo
    PJtwo Posts: 11
    Right now just my husband and son know. I try to keep it to myself and not talk too much about it because people don't really want to listen to it I am sure:laugh: :laugh: That is why it is nice to come here:smile:
  • I didn't just go out and tell people until they started asking me questions. Now everyone wants to know what I've done to get "skinny". I stress the two E's...Eat right and Exercise. But dropping 50 pounds in 10 months (30 of which occurred in the last 3 1/2 months) is bound to get noticed so I don't mind sharing with those who want to know.
  • Rogue_Minx
    Rogue_Minx Posts: 71 Member
    Everyone is different but I tell as many people as I can. It helps give me motivation to stay on the bandwagon and keep going. Don't really tell relatives though since I like to see their jaws drop when they see me again. :laugh:
  • No. It's nobody else's business. I don't want to hear "How's the weight loss going?" from people who really don't care. I told my husband and two close friends. I'll get enough support from them and the wonderful MFP forum members. That's all I need.