Walking shoes as running shoes?

Options
I have a pair of really comfy walking shoes at home and was wondering if they'd make a good temporary substitute for running shoes? I want to start jogging properly soon and I have hardly any money, so new shoes are out of the question for me right now.

Replies

• paul_draper
    paul_draper Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I started off my running with walking shoes and moved into proper running shoes after a few weeks. I found a big difference so recommend you switch as soon as possible. I now use running shoes for walking in so that I can break into a jog if I want although I think if I were going to walk more than an hour regularly I'd get some dedicated walking shoes again.
  • SirKelsalot
    Options
    Thanks :) I should be able to afford a good pair of running shoes in a month or so, so I'll start with my walking shoes. :)
  • chuckyp
    chuckyp Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    If you would have asked me this a year ago, I would have said to absolutely get some running shoes. After having knee problems (ITBS specifically) with my nice new fitted running shoes, I switched to minimalist shoes and have eliminated my problems. So now I am of the belief that less is more when it comes to running shoes. So in a nutshell I would say go ahead and run in your walking shoes if you have to. If you do not experience any pain or discomfort from it, you're fine.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    I have a pair of really comfy walking shoes at home and was wondering if they'd make a good temporary substitute for running shoes? I want to start jogging properly soon and I have hardly any money, so new shoes are out of the question for me right now.

I did this once and it was agony after about a mile. They are heavier and it just felt wrong, not fun. I'll never do that again. You need running shoes that fit your feet and it's super important. My husband recently was running in some running shoes that were not good for his feet and starting getting a heel injury. Once he switched to a correct shoe for him problem solved.

Road Runner sports catalog has tool for figuring out the type of shoe you need
    http://www.roadrunnersports.com/rrs/product/shoe-dog.jsp

Then you can go look at the shoes online and make a list. It's best if you can find a store to try them on. Then go shopping for the best deal on a few pairs that felt right.