Big boned?

Options
2»

Replies

• sculley
    sculley Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    I think so too because people look at me and don't believe that I am a size 14 and almost 170 lbs...
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    This topic reminds me of a episode of Celebrity Fit Club when Bone Crusher (a big guy) said he was big boned, so one of the trainers (the ex marine) went and had x-rays done on both them. The end result, Bone Crusher, identified the wrong bones! The trainer then said that the density could be different, but there isn't really a such thing of big boned.

Genetics (& some environment) make up skeletal structure just as much as they do any other part of our bodies. I find it completely unbelievable there isn't a pretty significant variation in not only bone density but also actual bone circumference (and bone *weight*) from person to person.

Now I can understand the point of this exercise if "Bone Crusher" was BSing about being "big boned" and using it as an excuse. I definitely wouldn't take someone's word for it when their only qualificaiton is that they're an ex-marine drill sergeant. :laugh:
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    You can find instructions online that will help you determine your frame size. I wondered this about myself not too long ago, so I went to a few different sites to try different methods - just to get an average consensus.

Here's are two that I've used :

http://www.ehow.com/how_2346297_determine-body-frame-size.html

http://www.caloriesperhour.com/tutorial_ideal.php

These are interesting, but the formula says that at 5' 9" I should weigh under 130! That would be me at a size 4 (I'm 160 and an 8 right now). 130 is actually my unrealistic goal :) and 145-150 is my realistic goal.

There are definitely different body types and builds, but I don't think that means that a moderately muscular larger structured woman at 5' 5" should ever be a "healthy" 190 lbs. People carry their weight differently. I have bony shoulders / collarbone and no boobs and am tall, so I look thinner and hide my weight in my "man legs" as I call them :) That does not mean that my legs are big boned :) My hips are also somewhat bony in the front, but that does not account for the muffin top and booty that makes my smaller jeans not fit :) Being big boned would not make any (healthy/female) body type not show a waistline of some sorts, account for a round tummy, etc. It's how you fill in the area around those bones that matters! Muscle also not only ads weight, but ads shape.
  • scru10izer
    Options
    Yes! Yes! Yes!
    5' 11" here, and at my thinnest was 170 ( now 208). Almost fit into a size 10, felt very healthy. I was running 15-24 miles a week then. My friend who does Weight Watchers said I should weigh 155. There is no way! I would look like a walking hipbone!
    Now, my sister, who is one year younger and one inch shorter, weighs 150. And, while I think she's too thin, she doesn't look emaciated. She's just more delicately boned than me.
  • mablesyrup
    mablesyrup Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    First off- You are beautiful. And I NEVER would have guessed your weight is 260 from the pictures! I would have guessed somewhere around 190-200 range. WOW!

I'm 290 and look it- (even when I was down to 250) and I am 5'7"!

I hear you though.. my hip bones stick out... but my top half is soo big. My arms are probably the size my thighs really should be,
    I can wear a 22 nicely- except for my arms and breasts. They are HUGE. I'm hoping to be able to do enough exercise and really get my arms tone (I know- i will have sagging skin on them) but I want to help firm them up as much as possible. I feel like a monster from my belly button up.
  • firedragon064
    firedragon064 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I have I have a LARGE frame.. is it the same as big bone?
    I weight 184 lbs.. between size 14 - 16
  • BamaRose0107
    Options
    Oh yeah some people just are not meant to be a size four. It really depends on bone structure and muscle. I am 5'6" and 171 pounds and wear a size 8/10. My healthy weight is supposed to be at the highest 155 but my doctor told me that for my build I would have trouble getting lower than the 155 he told me to focus more on losing fat percent. I can feel my hip bones now and he actually told me if I wanted to be a size 4 we would have to remove some bone! Point Taken Doc.

You look fabulous I would have never guessed over 200 for you!