Help needed before I simply give up..

Options
Hi all.

I joined in aug 12 and I'm still so confused. I was eating 1200 calories a day and sticking to it relatively well but not lost a single pound. I exercise approx 2-3 hours a week depending on my health as I am 'Disabled' I'm 22, 5ft 2 and 178lbs. I decided to increase my calories to 1500 today to see if that helps as I was told I was not eating enough to lose weight.

I worked out my Bmr (1617.3) and tdee (2216) but in all honestly I have no idea what this means...???

Can someone advise me what calories I should be looking at. I want to loose about 2stone but not too quickly as I want it to STAY off.

I'd REALLY REALLY appreciate some advise but please don't make it complicated lol I'm not the brightest person!

15 weeks till Xmas.. I'll be ecstatic if I can lose 15 lbs in that time!!

Also looking for encouraging friends so please feel free to add me if you think you can help.
Thank you

Replies

• LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Your BMR is the minimum number of calories your body needs to function. So that means you would need 1617 calories if you were laying in a hospital, in a coma.

Your TDEE is the total number of calories you burn on a daily basis. So, if you ate 2216, you would neither gain nor lose weight.

The most advised way to lose weight moderately, is to cut 20% from your TDEE. 20% of your TDEE is 443 calories. So, you should be eating 1773 if you follow this method.

Does that make sense?
  • RotterdamNL
    RotterdamNL Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    Hey you,

Don't be disappoited, you are still relatively working out for a short time and as you said you can't be as active as most people. I started august 6th working out 2 hours a day and with my past and stamina it was hell but i lost 12cm around my waist and 7 kilo's till now but a friend of mine is longer working out and lost almost nothing too in the beginning so don't give up.
  • chanixxx
    Options
    hmmm..I don't know the nature of your disability, so I don't think I can say move more and really mean it. I think 1200 is good if you can't move too much, but maybe a "sit and be fit" thing?
  • Pomroy89
    Options
    Your BMR is the minimum number of calories your body needs to function. So that means you would need 1617 calories if you were laying in a hospital, in a coma.

Your TDEE is the total number of calories you burn on a daily basis. So, if you ate 2216, you would neither gain nor lose weight.

The most advised way to lose weight moderately, is to cut 20% from your TDEE. 20% of your TDEE is 443 calories. So, you should be eating 1773 if you follow this method.

Does that make sense?

Finally someone talking my language haha.. What would be the projected weightless using this method?x
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options

Does that make sense?

Finally someone talking my language haha.. What would be the projected weightless using this method?x

I would agree with this also. You might initially gain a little, but then things should start moving. Just try and make sure the calories come from 80% nutritious and healthy foods like lean meat, fish, fruit, nuts, vegetables, dairy and wholegrains(if you have those). I believe -20% TDEE is about a pound a week.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options

Does that make sense?

250 cal daily deficit is 1/2 lb of fat burned a week. 500 is 1 lb, ect.

So 443 cal deficit is just a tad under 1lb.

That of course depends on accuracy of the TDEE estimate.

Suggest doing whatever weight lifting type exercise you can do, using the most muscle groups you can do. You have limits it sounds like, so do what you can do.
  • half_moon
    half_moon Posts: 807 Member
    Options

Does that make sense?

Suggest doing whatever weight lifting type exercise you can do, using the most muscle groups you can do. You have limits it sounds like, so do what you can do.

I have been on these boards for four months and this is the first time an explanation of TDEE has made sense. THANK YOU!!! I might actually care enough to figure OUT my TDEE and find what -20% of it is.

Thanks again for your simple explanation!
  • heybales
    Options
    I have been on these boards for four months and this is the first time an explanation of TDEE has made sense. THANK YOU!!! I might actually care enough to figure OUT my TDEE and find what -20% of it is.

Use the spreadsheet linked to in this thread. Can store your stats, and get the estimates. On the BMR/TDEE tab, at the bottom, is a better TDEE calculator. But still read the page like a book, working your way down and seeing what applies and will be used.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/677905-spreadsheet-for-bmr-tdee-deficit-calc-macro-calc-hrm
  • ktmmom189
    ktmmom189 Posts: 132 Member
    Options

Does that make sense?

Me too.
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I worked out my Bmr (1617.3) and tdee (2216) but in all honestly I have no idea what this means...???

Eat more than 1617.3 and less than 2216. Try 1716 (500 cal deficit).
  • yelsel58
    yelsel58 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi Sweetheart
    dont give up if i can do it you can i keep eye on my fat cholestrol carbs and SUGAR as i find when i was at slimming world i was told to eat fruit and it was sin free also muller lite yogurts but as soon as i ate tomuch fruit i stopped losing weight so when i came to do this i started to check all sugar content and found out i was eating so much sugar in things like fat free yogurts as some have almost 15% sugar and as for fruit i was shocked how much sugar content some have you may be like me Asha ( as were related lol ) you may need to watch your sugar content honestly you will be suprised what sugar and how much there are in some fat free foods any way just a thought please dont give up we know you can do it and im very proud of you for tryin so hard xx
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    watch your sugar content honestly
    This

And don't give up just yet. Keep at it and be patient.
  • heybales
    Options

Does that make sense?

Should add too, your TDEE as you see what it means - literally is different each and every day.

And would lead to some mighty different eating goals each and every day, which could be interesting trying to plan them out successfully, and aggravating perhaps.

So the TDEE deficit method has you look at your normal planned weekly routine, and average it out to a daily goal to stop those kind of swings in goals.
    Of course you are planning workouts this way. If you miss a workout, you skip probably 200-250 calories that day. If you make it up, you add that much.
    Just learning to eat appropriate for your level of activity.

The MFP method kind of does the same thing for the non-exercise part of the day, but then you eat more when you exercise. It's math of course is trying to do it on the same day which could still be interesting if you workout in the evening.
  • gpstrucker
    gpstrucker Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    If you have filled out your profile correctly, and log everything correctly, the MFP numbers should work for you. Have you actually been following them, or doing something else? I find it hard to believe MFP has you set at 1200 calories if your BMR is 1617.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    Don't give up! I almost gave up my full story here --> http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/740340-i-lost-60-lbs-at-age-51-anyone-can-any-workout

I'm one inch shorter than you. When you are short like us, well it means we are SMALL, our BMR is barely above that. That 1200 number does not work for us shorties. It might work for taller people but not us.

It really comes down to eating less. I've been help a lot of people on my profile and in PM's. Feel free to ask more questions.

Most of what I would have to say is in that link, but here is one of my favorite quotes not there:

We’ve been trying to figure out an exact NUMBER of calories that everyone should be eating, without recognizing that everyone is slightly different. In truth, the calories aren’t the end game. Your body is. So the EXACT amount of Calories that are right for you is the EXACT amount that will allow you to maintain your ideal bodyweight no matter what some calculator or chart says.

In other words, an online calculator might tell you that you need to eat 2,500 calories
    per day to maintain your ideal bodyweight. But the only way to know for sure if this is
    the right amount for you is to test it out. If you gain weight or can’t lose weight eating
    that much, then you know you need to eat less to lose weight no matter how many
    calculators and text books say otherwise.

This doesn’t mean your metabolism is broken, it just means the estimate of your needs
    was just a bit off.

-John Barban
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options

Does that make sense?

This.

Keep in mind if you're it this way that your TDEE includes your exercise, so you wouldn't add exercise calories to that goal. Also, you'll want to recalculate your TDEE and the 20% cut as you lose weight, because both numbers will change. As you get closer to your goal, you'll want to decrease your deficit, too, so you might want to switch it to 15% less after about 20 pounds or so, then 10% less when you're close to your goal.
  • beansprouts
    beansprouts Posts: 410 Member
    Options

Does that make sense?

Weightloss?...If you are disabled (as you say) and doing very little exercise...if you up your calories to 1773...you should probably gain weight or at best remain exactly where you are.
  • wahmx3
    wahmx3 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    So you got great advice on how many calories to eat... eat within that range, definitely more than what you were eating. I am not going to comment on your disability since I am not educated enough.... but there must be some things you can do.... at least on the days you feel better. Walking is great if you can pick up a faster pace, strength training using weights for your hands and legs is good, resistance bands could be helpful. More muscle burns more fat and calories while at rest, meaning your body will burn more while you are just sitting.

What are you eating? Keep in mind, losing weight is 80% what you eat and about 20% exercise, so if you can't work out much, it is okay. Some people said to watch your sugar, and that might be true for some people.... for many people, myself included, sodium is the big thing! Be sure to track that. How much water do you drink a day? It is recommended to drink half your weight in ounces of water daily.

Feel free to add me as a friend, I want to be helpful and supportive in a healthy weight loss way.... meaning if I see something that will help you, I have no problem saying so, in a nice way, of course.
  • musiche
    musiche Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Ain't nobody on here that can truly help you, my friend... You have to help yourself. But you have the right idea - knowledge is power and you need to empower yourself to make the right decisions. Seek out the answers and solve your problems, but don't give up.

There is no success without failure. You MUST fail in order to succeed. If you 'give up', then you are definitely, 100% going to fail yourself. Don't do that to yourself.

All you gotta do is keep trying, and don't be too hard on yourself!!!

Stay positive.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options

Does that make sense?

Weightloss?...If you are disabled (as you say) and doing very little exercise...if you up your calories to 1773...you should probably gain weight or at best remain exactly where you are.

Uh no. If her average TDEE is 2216, then a cut to 1773 should let her lose a pound a week. Your TDEE isn't dependant upon doing exercise, it's simply the number of calories your body uses during the day. These calories come from organ function, any movement (doing dishes, laundry, walking the dog, etc). If your TDEE includes exercise, great. If not, that's okay too. The larger you are, the higher your TDEE is. As you lose weight, you have to refigure your goals so stay on track.

And, while I have a whole lot of respect for californiagirl and what she has accomplished, you do not need to eat so little. 1200 is the recommended bare minimum, but you can lose weight on more calories than that. It just comes down to knowing your numbers.