Stevia Natural Sweetener

Options
2»

Replies

• sweetchildomine
    sweetchildomine Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I've never understood why people say stevia tastes weird. I use Truvia in coffee, tea, and sometimes I sprinkle some on top of strawberries. To me, it tastes no different than regular sugar. Well, it does have kind of a TEENY bitter taste if you eat a spoonful of it plain...but why would you do that? lol
  • LLRider
    Options
    I use Now liquid stevia. Just a few drops goes a long way. Too much and it can taste bitter. I put it in tea, salad dressings, plain yogurt, lemon water ...

It will not affect your blood glucose :)
  • mollyonamission
    mollyonamission Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Yum
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    It tastes nasty to me, just like other artificial sweeteners. The only way to know if you'll like it is to try it.
    Personally I'd rather log the 16 cals in a spoonful of regular sugar than drink something that tastes so horrible.

Ruby- have you tried pure stevia, or just the ones like truvia and purevia that are mostly eurythritol(sp?)? I bet its the sugar alcohol you dislike- it's used in a lot of artificial sugar stuff, so it would all have that same taste.

Hmmm, interesting, you're probably right about the sugar alcohols.
    The one I tried was a blend of cane sugar with stevia but I'm not sure what else was in it - must check out the labels at the supermarket. Maybe I'll give the pure stevia a go, thanks for the suggestion.
  • jdforshort
    jdforshort Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I've actually tasted the plant itself (and, of course, it's consumer friendly crystals). I love that it is all natural, no chemicals, etc. but it tastes just like artificial sweeteners to me, it has that tangy taste so, I just prefer Splenda if I'm gonna use an alternative sweetener.

:smile:

Totally agree! I have been using Splenda for a while and decided to buy Stevia (packets) just to try, did not like the "funny" aftertaste at all! Also, I only like Splenda in cold stuff e.g. if I want to turn my Cottage cheese into a dessert. In hot stuff, I still get that aftertaste! Never cooked with either.