Question about Cooking with Oil

Options
2»

Replies

• jerbear1962
    jerbear1962 Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    I'm very cautious of how much oil I add, I use a non stick pan and use chicken or beef broth if possible and add as little oil as needed to brown whatever I'm cooking. I have a half container of oil that is almost a year old with the little amount I use.
  • ritasice21
    ritasice21 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I just use my misto, which cuts down the consumption. I have found that 8 mississippi's equates to 1 teaspoon. I do not measure the remains if I do use tablespoons because I figure there are meat juices in there also, not just oil, so I would be underestimating.
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    Have you tried using broths instead of the oil? When pan-frying veggies, I use reduced sodium vegetable broth, when I cook chicken I use chicken broth... Cuts A LOT of the calories. And fat.

I still use oil occasionally, but I like to use half the oil the recipe calls for and sub the rest with a broth
  • Yoshima
    Yoshima Posts: 58
    Options
    Whenever I use oil to saute or roast anything, instead of trying to measure what's left, I just add 1 tbsp olive oil to my recipe or log. Or if I use a very little amount I'll put in 1/2 tbsp.

This is what I do, too. I also have bought myself an oil mister so I can only just "lube" the pan a little for certain things.
  • ashleykovacs
    ashleykovacs Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I cook chicken on the george foreman and if i use oil i use my misto sprayer.. you can get it at tj max (states) or homesense (canada)
  • Ph4lanx
    Ph4lanx Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Personally, if I use oil, it's Coconut Oil. If no oil, then I use a ceramic pan. :)
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Since I cook for four, if I add two tbsp of oil to the pan, I will log 1/4 of that, so 1/2 tbsp to my diary. It may be a little less with some still in the pan, but I don't think the difference is large enough to concern myself over.