Best Healthy Cereal

Options
What are the best choices for morning cereal? So many have tons of sugar and carbs with no protein or other health benefits.

Replies

• Trav
    Trav Posts: 2,022
    Options
    I would say one of the Kashi Go Lean cereals...

But, Im a sucker for Capn Crunch Peanut Butter cereal
  • 34at35
    34at35 Posts: 318
    Options
    One of the best choices is Shredded Wheat. But oatmeal is real good too.. Can't go wrong with a whole grain cereal, though. I especially like Cheerios, Wheaties, Shredded Wheat & Grape Nuts Flakes because they all provide good fiber and I like the taste.
  • paddlemom
    paddlemom Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I love the Jordan's Supreme Muesli - it's full of nuts and fruit. It's pretty calorie dense, but I put 1/3 cup into a small container of yogurt and it really fills you up in a satisfying way! The nuts give you a real crunch that you have to slow down to eat.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    I typically eat Bobs Red Mill 10 grain hot cereal:
    per 1/4 cup (140 cals)
    1 gram fat
    0 grams cholesterol
    5 grams sodium
    28 grams carbs (but good carbs)
    5 grams fiber
    6 grams protein

But I'd like to know what kinds of cold cereals are good as well.
  • Hemis_mom
    Hemis_mom Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I just read the book Eat this Not That and they suggested shredded wheat and the Kashi Go lean cereals
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    I've been going with oatmeal a lot lately since it's so cold in the mornings. This morning I had 40 grams quick oatmeal (1/2 cup dry -- quick oatmeal has essentially the same nutrition stats as steel cut, by the way. Also important to note that quick oatmeal is NOT instant oatmeal) and 1/2 scoop vanilla protein powder to which I added roughly a cup of boiling water and later a tablespoon of peanut butter. It was 291 calories which seems high until I realize I ate at 9am and now it's 1pm and I'm STILL FULL! It was too filling! And, trust me, I'm normally dying for a snack by 11am when I have either of my my regular breakfasts (peanut butter toast & fruit or egg & english muffin).
  • tigger2009
    Options
    Oatmeal for me every morning. I have the Quaker Low sugar ones.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    all Bran is great and one of the most filling, you can eat it on its own or add some to your favorite cereal.
  • rosierob
    Options
    my fitness instructor beleives fibre/bran is best - like all bran with a chopped banana or branflakes with a chopped apple and raisins with skimmed milk - i have been tryin it and it is very filling - i normally sway towards special k or sugary types but never fill me and im always munch mid morning
  • khskr1
    khskr1 Posts: 392
    Options
    I usually go for Kashi oatmeal with a scoop of protein powder in it.
  • jewels319
    jewels319 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I started eating the Kelloggs Special K strawberry and its pretty good. Its hard to find a cereal that doesn't taste like I am eating the box it came in. I usually eat a mini bagel (carbs for the energy...I need it in the am) and a small bowl of the cereal for the sweet...believe me it does actually taste sweet. I use whole milk cuz I refuse to give it up...but I limit it to less than a cup. The Special K cereal bars are good too!
    I volunteer in my sons first grade class so this morning was nuts...I grabbed a bottle of water and two cereal bars....finished at school about 12....got home to the smell of my hubbies breakfast.......I will spare all the details but yep...I died. So I made my sandwich for today. I am doing my exercise tonight then taking a hot bath. Hope everyone is doing good today! :happy:
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    all Bran is great and one of the most filling, you can eat it on its own or add some to your favorite cereal.

Have you seen how much sugar is in All Bran? Fibre 1 Original has a lot less sugar and more fibre in it. I have it with Almond Breeze unsweetened vanilla and it tastes good
  • pannellkat
    pannellkat Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I loves my Raisin Bran!
  • McFatterton
    McFatterton Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I have been on a real kick of Steel Cut Oats. I add a tablespoon of milled flax seed and some dried cherries. I love the texture of it, and, of course, the taste!
  • Heather_b1986
    Heather_b1986 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    weetabix are great, fill u up til lunchtime, i hav mine with skimmed milk and sliced banana something i eat even when im not tryin to lose weight
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    Breakfast & AM snack Calories Protein Fat Carbs Chol Fiber
    Kellogg's - Corn Flakes, 1.5 cup 150 3 0 39 0 2
    Bananas - Raw, 1 small (6" to 6-7/8" long) 90 1 0 23 0 3
    Holiday Pantry 2% Milk - Milk, 0.5 cup 65 4 3 7 10 0
    Add Food | Remember Meal 305 8 3 69 10 5

Nice big bowl of good ol' Corn Flakes, with banana and 1/2 cup of 2%. 305 calories, mostly carbs. You gotta eat something.
  • bytelaw
    bytelaw Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I love hot Oat Bran and Cream of Wheat, but on days I work out (at noon 4 days per week) I eat Archer Farms Cinnamon Start with Protein. It's got 30 g carbs and 15 g protein, so great for fueling a workout. It does have a lot of sugar (14 g I think) and is higher in calories than I'd like (190 cal), but it's filling and tastes good and covers both the carbs and the protein.

--J
  • Carleybby
    Carleybby Posts: 158
    Options
    I love wheatabix, going to buy some more today.

and you don't have to measure how much you're eating, since they're little blocks.
  • bakerjams
    Options
    I really love the taste and crunch of the Kashi Go Lean Crunch (Honey Almond) It has 9 g protein and 8 g fiber and also makes for a good crunchy snack when you want something sweet.
  • MrBinkerton
    Options
    I Love "Kashi - Good Friends" Cereal. It really fills me up and I think it is pretty healthy....46% daily value for fiber. :) Yummy!