Anyone Zumba?

Options
I've been taking Zumba classes for a few months, and love it. It's a party, and the hour class just "zooms" by.

It's the best high cardio, mixed with a core workout...all to great music. I've read that it's anywhere between 500-800 calories an hour. The women in my class with the calorie counter arm bands, are reporting 600-700 calories.

Anyone else here into Zumba?

Replies

• lisanxd
    lisanxd Posts: 93
    Options
    Yes, I love it. Have been taking it twice a week since October. Tonight will be my first night with my new Polar F6 and I'm excited to see what it says. So far I have been estimating, using the modern/lyrical aerobics that's in the database. I will try posting later tonight with what my results are.
  • GoingToLoseIt
    Options
    I am planning to start a class next month! There are several people @ my office that do it, and love it. I will check around to see if anyone has been able to count the calories, and let you know!
  • amelia_atlantic
    amelia_atlantic Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    I am! I am! I LOVE IT! I defintiely saw a big change in my body. I learned to feel confident dancing to music and songs I wasn't familiar.
    It really depends on how hard you work and if you keep moving the full hour to burn up to 700 calories. It's entirely possible!

My favorite class just ended and I'm really bummed about it...
    I've tried a couple others but I like that one the best.

I recommend it to everyone and anyone!
  • CrystalT
    CrystalT Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I'm going to my first class Thursday. I'm so excited!!! I have a HRM, so I can let you know on Friday how many calories I burned durning class....
  • BroiledNotFried
    BroiledNotFried Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    For Christmas, Santa brought me a pair of "dance sneakers". They make Zumba alot easier to do..the sliding and turning and lightweight is much easier than with a pair or super-tread running shoes
  • GoingToLoseIt
    Options
    Folks at the office said about 550, 600 was the norm.
  • jenstrausbaugh
    Options
    ME ME ME! I am a Zumba Instructor!!!!! I love it!!!!
  • xXmimiXx
    xXmimiXx Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Hi! My gym Virgin Active has JUST started doing Zumba classes, the first intro class is this Saturday and I've signed up for it because I've read so many posts about it on here! I'm really excited but I don't have a hrm so not sure how I'm going to log it!
  • schlieffen
    Options
    I love Zumba, it's so much fun!! :love: My HRM tells me about 500-600 cals in a one hour class, but of course this all depends on the person, and how hard you make it.
  • Sparksfly
    Sparksfly Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I think my HRM said about 550 cals for the class. That STILL seems a little high for me, but the class was REALLY REALLY difficult.

It also depends on your instructor. I had one that made me work up a sweat, but not THAT much. Our new instructor is off the wall CRAZY. I love it though!!
  • marilla
    marilla Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Love it! I plan to take Zumba and yoga classes in this new year, which I love and will be more likely to stick with than the other classes I take.
  • CrystalT
    Options
    I'm so excited. My sister and I are going to our first class tonight!!!
  • marilla
    marilla Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Just remember to have fun. You will catch on to the steps eventually. If you are having difficulty catchng on to a movement, try concentrating on either your hands or feet. Also, you will burn calories whether you are getting the moves down or not. Have fun!
  • babyj328
    Options
    Hi,
    I love Zumba. I had a class tonight and I was able to use my brand new Polar F6. And the total calorie burn for the 1 hour class was 698. That's pretty damn good if I say myself. What better way to burn calories and have an absolute ball!
  • xXmimiXx
    xXmimiXx Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    OMG no way! 600 cals+! That's amazing! I am SO excited about being able to do Zumba at my gym from Saturday! :drinker:
  • kateyb
    kateyb Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    My boss is a Zumba instructor - she holds classes all over London. I'm planning on taking my first one next Saturday. Wish me luck!
  • CrystalT
    Options
    I went to Zumba last night. It was a blast, but it will take a few more classes before I learn enough to get the full workout from it. I wore my HRM and it said I only burn 172 calories in about 1/2 an hour. I figure I'll burn more once I can keep up and start adding some of the hip and arm movements. I'm just so uncoordinated that I have to concentrating on getting the foot work right before I can start on the next thing.
  • ChellieIrish
    ChellieIrish Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Hi guys

I bought myself the Zumba Fitness workout Dvd's for Christmas as sadly in Ireland where I live there is no classes :noway: Just wondering how long it was till you started to see any changes to your body?

As a total beginner I am planning on starting with 20 mins and building it up daily to the 60 min :wink:
  • valw97
    valw97 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    For Christmas, Santa brought me a pair of "dance sneakers". They make Zumba alot easier to do..the sliding and turning and lightweight is much easier than with a pair or super-tread running shoes

What kind did you get? I've been looking online but not real sure about what's best?
  • valw97
    valw97 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    My boss is a Zumba instructor - she holds classes all over London. I'm planning on taking my first one next Saturday. Wish me luck!

Good Luck! It's a blast, you'll LOVE it!