I cheat by adding food to the next day :/

Options
I am embarrassed to admit this but I feel like I cheat on my food diary. I will add food to the next day when I eat it late at night. It doesn't even have to be after midnight. Sometimes I will add it to the next day even if I eat it at 8pm. I work third shift so I have a weird eating and sleeping schedule too. It eventually catches up with me and I go over on my calories. Does anyone have this problem? Or have ideas on what to do?

Replies

• jeme3
    jeme3 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about your schedule, just record everything you eat from midnight to midnight seems like it would be the simplest.
  • Zalli
    Zalli Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    How you lose weight and manage diary is a really personal thing I think.
    If you think of it as cheating and it bothers you, then I guess just realize that the whole process is just for YOU, your own well-being,so fudging a meal or two is a little like cheating at solitaire.

But MFP is just a really useful tool and I've seen lots of people modify the way they log things to suit themselves.

I get hungry late at night sometimes too and just log it as a snack regardless. No guilt needed,right? :)
  • janlee_001
    janlee_001 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I am embarrassed to admit this but I feel like I cheat on my food diary. I will add food to the next day when I eat it late at night. It doesn't even have to be after midnight. Sometimes I will add it to the next day even if I eat it at 8pm. I work third shift so I have a weird eating and sleeping schedule too. It eventually catches up with me and I go over on my calories. Does anyone have this problem? Or have ideas on what to do?

Your schedule will be different than someone on first or second shift - base it on a 24 hour schedule.
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    As long as you track everything, it doesn't matter what day you track it under. It all comes out in the wash.

I've taken to doing 10-day totals so that I check that my overs and unders balance out.
  • manohirarevolutions
    Options
    Hahaha, I also do this sometimes.

weekly calories deficit is more important. better you cheat this way than if you dont log it at all.
  • Pimpmonkey
    Options
    I record everything from the time I get up to the time I go to bed as one day. Then start over the next "awake" Period as a new day.
  • Aldino557
    Options
    I admit I have been tempted to do he same.
    Late at night, one often gets hungry.
    The way I avoid that feeling is by having something filling and warm and low in calories like tea.
    The best thing is a non-caffeine tea, like rose hip or hibiscus tea. I also chew some high-fiber tabs.
    These tend to kill the acid in your stomach and put a stop to that hungry feeling.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    As long as your calorie intake averages out to be what your limit is set to, it shouldn't matter all that much.
  • deenaspell
    deenaspell Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I just started doing this! LOL
  • trixiemou
    trixiemou Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    I have been tempted, but the I think when I look back I want to see how I have actually done, 'Warts and All' as they say.
    oops which reminds me I didn't add that vodka and tonic I had last night. haha.
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    If it's after midnight, it goes on that day. It's not really cheating.. I've done that before too. Last night at like 1 am or so I had leftover mashed potatoes because I was starving and couldn't sleep.
  • slenderizeme
    slenderizeme Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    fudging a meal or two is a little like cheating at solitaire

Lol that is a good one :) I will have to be stricter and record without skipping to the next day. Thanks everyone.
  • amnsetie
    amnsetie Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    If you set your intake to 250 cals deficit per day, you can go over by up to 250 and not really be over
    same for setting to 500 cals deficit gives you 500 leeway
    As most people here seem to have set themselves 1000 Cals deficit you have room to move.

Try reducing your goal per week to half a pound

and

why not just log on the day and allow yourself the grace amount when you need it.
    If you are going over your TDEE change your eating habits so you are not quite that hungry at night.
    more protein could do it, like boiled eggs etc
  • pattyg1821
    Options
    I agree with everyone else it doesn't matter what day you record it on. I work the 2nd shift and its 125 am here now and if I decide I wanted to eat something now then I would record it for sunday 9/23 since its already after midnight.

as long as you know that those calories from that food you add too the next day needs to calculated in for the next days.

alot of people do this. they may eat alot one day and less the next to makeup for the eating more from the next day.

just log it and if you notice that you gain weight by eating tooo many cals on "the next day" then keep in on the current day
  • Rosa1213
    Rosa1213 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I do that sometimes if I'm going to bed immediately afterwards, and if it isn't too bad, like yogurt or a rice cake.
    It's ~100 calories less the next day, and then I also don't feel bad for going over.
  • weemawhit
    weemawhit Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Just be careful about setting yourself up to fail the next day. If you already have 200 calories or whatever and you haven't actually eaten anything, it's only that much easier to go over, continuing the cycle. I personally count each "calorie day" by when I wake up and go to sleep, works best for me.
  • VanessaHeartsMasr
    Options
    I work really weird hours too, so I log in 24-hour periods. Plus, don't feel guilty if at the end of the week it kind of evens out.
  • tiffanympm
    Options
    I hardly ever write down my dinner calories. I tend to keep track up until dinner and then do mental math for what I'm eating at dinner and even snack. I tend to ever estimate my calories or "round up" on everything so I never normally go over my calorie goal. I imagine it can happen but I'm fair to myself.
  • atxdee
    atxdee Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    haha i do that too!
  • jeleclekat
    jeleclekat Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    If you look at my diary, I have "brunch" at 12:30pm, then dinner at 5:30 and "late night about 11pm. I don't work so I am usually up til 3am cross stitching, then get up in the mornings about 10:30. Eating is different for me too. lol, but it works. ( I have kitties that I work my stitching around. They "go to bed" when hubby doe about 10-10:30pm. We shut the door to the hallway then, hubby goes to bed, I come in computer room and stitch) Don't fret about the hours on the clock.....