Taking vitamin supplement - still need fruit and veg?

Options
I take a daily muti-vitamin, which is says its 100% RDA, do I really need to worry about having the five a day fruit and vegatables?

Replies

• jerbear1962
    jerbear1962 Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    What do you think? Do you think those fruits and veggies are a waste of time and money? Have some fruits and veggies you'll feel better.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I take a daily muti-vitamin, which is says its 100% RDA, do I really need to worry about having the five a day fruit and vegatables?
    http://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/five_a_day_evidence_base

"There is clear and growing evidence for the protective effects of fruit and vegetables
    against chronic diseases such as CHD and cancer." - it's not just about vitamins.
  • akgordoa
    Options
    Supplements and vitamins will never take place of fruits and vegetables.
  • chooriyah
    chooriyah Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Uh yes. Fiber is your friend unless you want to be permanently constipated and at risk for bowel cancer. Sorry, probably slightly TMI, but there it is.

A not-so-well-kept-secret is that it's actually 11 a day, but that was judged unrealistic. Policy makers and doctors compromised at 5 a day...really need to be looking at 5 a day as the bare minimum.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Of course! Micronutrients are much better absorbed by the body from food than from tablets and capsules. So, even though a supplement may have 100% RDA, your body probably won't absorb that much. Plus, there are many, many micronutrients that the body needs, and not all of them are contained within one multivitamin supplement. Also, for some nutrients, the RDA may be a little on the low side, depending on who you listen to. Looking at vitamin C, for example, there are often recommendations to take more than the official RDA. A lot of people don't get enough potassium, and that's not something you'll find supplemented in large amounts. You need to get that from food. And yeah, fibre is important too. :smile:
  • RitaSantoss
    RitaSantoss Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I think nothing replaces the original. Fruit and vegetables are always needed in anyone's daily food intake!
  • sonny368
    Options
    Fruits and veggie are fine they cannot be replaced by vitamins, the matter is that they contain fibers which are not only important to keep your intestines protected and sane but also if you're hungry those are a good snack between meals and not so caloric, so don't give them up !!