3rd weight loss attempt, twice hospitalize

Options
Hey guys, nice to be here and nice to be once again losing weight.

First attempt: 270lb down to 165lbs, I was 18yo.
crash diet with only one meal a day, cardio and weights training for 2-3hours 7 days a week.
hospitalize due to fatigue, stopped going to the gym after hospitalization and gained back weight to 230lbs.

2nd attempt: 23lbs down to 180lbs, I was 23yo.
3 meals a day, after 6pm. proper food and program (or so i thought).
hospitalize due to appendicitis, stopped going to the gym after hospitalization and gained back weight to 230lbs.

3rd attempt: starting weight 230lbs - target weight is 165lbs. started on July 27, 2012, I am 28yo (this is now)
6 small meals a day, whole foods, 3-5 kinds of fruits, prioritize vegetables, minimum sugar intake, minimum milk intake, lean protein, multivitamins, cardio and weights.
program: trying to follow the advisable weight lost of 1.5lbs / week
getting hospitalize again for the 3rd time is my greatest fear right now.

any support or any tips you can give me to not end up in the hospital again... or am I just paranoid about this whole thing.

please add me, I need support and I'll do my best to reciprocate.

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Appendicitis was probably nothing to do with the diet.

One meal a say training 7 datys foe 2-3 hours was a bit crazy. Exercise 30-40 mins every other day is sufficient for weight loss, if that's your primary goal, because most of the loss comes from eating less.
  • jamface11
    Options
    At least you don't need to worry about appendicitis again :) As long as you are being sensible, and eat healthy and enough you should be absolutely fine. And if things come up, take a break if you need to, and then push through and keep going. Don't let anything set you back from your new healthy lifestyle. Good luck :D
  • samblanken
    samblanken Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Appendicitis had nothing to do with your training program. That can happen to anybody at anytime. Sounds like you were on the right track with diet and exercise before that sidelined you. Being in good shape will help keep you from getting sick. And if you find yourself sick or injured being in good shape will make recovery easier. Good luck to you!
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Hey guys, nice to be here and nice to be once again losing weight.

First attempt: 270lb down to 165lbs, I was 18yo.
    crash diet with only one meal a day, cardio and weights training for 2-3hours 7 days a week.
    hospitalize due to fatigue, stopped going to the gym after hospitalization and gained back weight to 230lbs.

2nd attempt: 23lbs down to 180lbs, I was 23yo.
    3 meals a day, after 6pm. proper food and program (or so i thought).
    hospitalize due to appendicitis, stopped going to the gym after hospitalization and gained back weight to 230lbs.

3rd attempt: starting weight 230lbs - target weight is 165lbs. started on July 27, 2012, I am 28yo (this is now)
    6 small meals a day, whole foods, 3-5 kinds of fruits, prioritize vegetables, minimum sugar intake, minimum milk intake, lean protein, multivitamins, cardio and weights.
    program: trying to follow the advisable weight lost of 1.5lbs / week
    getting hospitalize again for the 3rd time is my greatest fear right now.

any support or any tips you can give me to not end up in the hospital again... or am I just paranoid about this whole thing.

please add me, I need support and I'll do my best to reciprocate.

How tall are you and do you have any goals as far as what you want to look like rather than what you want the scale to show you?
  • wingednotes
    Options
    Statistically I think you have a greater chance of being hospitalized if you are overweight than if you are in a healthy range. So you are actually on the right path right now to avoid what you fear, not the other way around.

Look at all of the people that are successful on this site. Do it like they are (and like you are currently doing) and you will be fine.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Try not to complicate this, Eat at a moderate calorie deficit and exercise. You've got this. Remember to be patient, too. It won't happen overnight.
  • kcoftx
    kcoftx Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    You need to treat this as a lifestyle change. Something you will do for the rest of your life. When life gets in the way, pick right back up as soon as you can. Tell yourself ahead of time you have learned this lesson and you will succeed this time. Having the right mindset is at least half the battle, if not more.

I went on vacation for 5 weeks, out of the country. I could have easily decided not to get back into weight training when I got back. It was a bit hard because I had so long off but I had already told myself before I went what I will do when I get back. I forced myself to stick to my commitments. I did not give myself any choice.

"It's not whether you get knocked down. It's whether you get up." --Vince Lombardi

We all make mistakes along the way. The key is to learn from them. 5 years ago, I lost 60lbs. It was my third time to lose weight (3 kids). This time I kept it off for 4 years straight (no more kids). Then I moved. My job changed from being an active early childhood teacher to being a stay at home mom. I was busy but not in the same way. I was eating on government dime (out to eat) for the first month of moving. The move itself was a life changing event (moving abroad). I gained 22lbs almost overnight. Do you know what I learned from this? When I do go to maintenance, I plan to only track every few months (like I did for those 4 years) but this time I need to track more closely any time I have a move, job change, or life change. I am now aware of it. As a military family, this will come up again. Next time I will be prepared.

This time, you are aware of where you messed up. You had to take a break and you didn't commit yourself to getting back on track. Don't be afraid to think about how you will learn from this lesson this time in case it comes up again (not that it necessarily will, but other similar situations might).
  • JamesWay84
    Options
    thanks for the input guys and yes, I want this to be a lifelong change, not temporary.

as for my height, I am about 5' 8.