Is Pilates weight resistance??

Options
Hey All,

I know I need to do some weight resistance. No problem with the cardio! As far as weight training, lunges are not my friend. My knees take turns feeling weird, not neccesarily injured. I don't think I have the greatest balance for lunges resulting in knee pain. I can do squats and etc.

I was wondering if it would be effective to do Pilates for lower body and weight training (bicep curls, tricep kickbacks and etc) for the upper body. Would I yield results?? Any suggestions?

P.S.: my stats aren't here. I am 5'5 and 260 pounds.

Replies

• dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Pilates is not resistance training.

If you can squat, then do squats.. there are a lot of variations on the squat.

Also for lunges, make sure you stay vertical and the knee does not extend past the toe.. and that should help with some of the pain.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    dead lifts and squats for the lower body, chest press and over head press for the upper body.
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    I have knee issues, and I'm able to do reverse lunges - they take the pressure off your knees.

I suggest you Do squats, Deadlifts, Bench press, OHP and rows. Compound movements with heavy, free weights are better than the machines.
  • opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I don't think I have the greatest balance for lunges resulting in knee pain. I can do squats and etc.

Pilates will help with balance. It works on strength and flexibility. It's not the same as resistance training, because you use very small weights, but it still helps with strength, particularly core strength, and that in turn helps balance and makes other exercises easier. I do Pilates for core strength - it was recommended for me, because I'm hypermobile and I have weak muscles - and I find it very helpful. It does work your legs, and without the balance problem of lunges, because you are mostly lying on the floor. I also have a lot of difficulty balancing for lunges.