BEST Protein Powder?

Options
I am wondering what the best protein powder is? My nutritionalist told me VEGA? I'm just wanting a few more opinions. Also what are all of its uses? Can you cook, bake with it? Is it just for drinking? I've never used one before. Not looking for a meal replacement but to use as a snack and maybe just to up protein in meals that are lacking! Thoughts?

Replies

• flechero
    flechero Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    You'll get 20 different answers... much it is just preference to taste. I'll tell you that I like Optimum Nutrition brand and use the 100% natural whey (and natural oats & whey) powders... I like vanilla. They mix easier (which make a ton of difference) than most brands and I think the taste is much better than the rest. (of anything I have tried) I also use the Optimum Nutrition soy powder, and while it's not as tasty... it is half the price. SO depending on your needs, priorities and tastes... there could be any number of products that are the best for you.

You can cook, drink, bake and mix all of them pretty universally.

Pay attention to what's in it.. protein isolates are the most pure form and most expensive, followed by concentrates, and other forms.

Edited to add that I mix with frozen banana, strawberry, blueberries, etc.in milk (soy) for breakfast shakes and then do similar in juice for post work out smoothies. You can use them in lots of different ways and places.
  • denezy
    denezy Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    I found vega to be totally gross. I use maximized living perfect protein, which is ridiculously expensive but absolutely delicious. I cook with it and make my own protein bars. Love love love it! Oh, and it is whey.
  • hughtwalker
    hughtwalker Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    do you HAVE to buy protein powder? Couldn't you just eat them in groceries?
  • pinkandstars09
    Options
    I like Herbalife personilzed protein powder =) IF you need to know where to get it . i can send you to a friend but i really like it and its pretty cheap and taste good =)
  • JLand918
    Options
    I just bought Nutek Pro5 Chocolate and it is great , taste is good not like most others and it actually blends/breaks down very well unlike others that just stay in dry clumpy chunks even in the blender/shaker.
  • zachatta
    zachatta Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Hah, my definition of best is cheapest, and i mix it with whole milk:

Cheapest I have found is 5 lbs for 35 bucks at sams club.
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    I'm partial to Genisoy chocolate. I can't stand whey protein powder, but I do eat Detour bars okay, and they're whey.

I bought a soy/whey blend at the local grocery store (their store brand) and it was so disgusting no one in my family could even stand to swallow any of it. Just threw it all in the trash. Expensive learning experience.
  • OSC_ESD
    OSC_ESD Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    ~ An old friend turned me onto " Body Fortress " ... tastes amazing ! Low cal, Low Carb, Low Sugar ... 26 g Protein per scoop !

You want to be aware of the ingredients ... also the taste plays a huge factor !

You can add it to just about anything depending on the flavor ... I sometimes add strawberry to my greek yogurt or steel cut oats !

I just mix mine with cold water ... less calories. But I've been told the flavor is incredible with milk if you can afford the extra calories !

Best advice ... just experiment til you find one you ... LOVE !

:flowerforyou:
  • frando
    frando Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    I've got Hollands & Barrat's own brand, Hard Core Series, in the chocolate version. I love it for breakfast, keeps me going for ages! Even as a snack it's like a hot chocolate :3

For breakfast I heat up about 200ml of milk in the microwave and then add a tad of sugar then 75g of the powder and mix it with a fork. As a break I pop 20g of powder in a standard coffee cup with a mix of boiling and cold water (as we don't get a choice at my work place) and it helps bulk up a lunch as well like that.

I'm going to try a few more out to see which I prefer myself but I honestly can't believe how useful and amazing this stuff is.
  • lilmisfit
    lilmisfit Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I like GNC's AMP Wheybolic. I mix the strawberry and chocolate together with water and 1/4 cup of vanilla almond milk! SO delicious!!!!
  • frando
    frando Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    do you HAVE to buy protein powder? Couldn't you just eat them in groceries?

I find it easier to eat a good bulk of protein in powder form for breakfast then via say bacon and eggs- that and I'd say it's cheaper by the way I'd consume it in both financial and calorific terms. It takes a few minutes to make it up and I can drink it whilst getting ready for work or during a break whilst I'm working.
  • laughingdani
    laughingdani Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    ~ An old friend turned me onto " Body Fortress " ... tastes amazing ! Low cal, Low Carb, Low Sugar ... 26 g Protein per scoop !

You want to be aware of the ingredients ... also the taste plays a huge factor !

You can add it to just about anything depending on the flavor ... I sometimes add strawberry to my greek yogurt or steel cut oats !

I just mix mine with cold water ... less calories. But I've been told the flavor is incredible with milk if you can afford the extra calories !

Best advice ... just experiment til you find one you ... LOVE !

:flowerforyou:

Same here. I usually stick with just the vanilla though.
    WalMart sells Body Fortress by the way.

My favorite way to consume it is mixed in oatmeal with peanut butter.

But you can cook with it.... I've made protein bars, protein pancakes etc.
    Just peruse the recipe forums and research online. You'll find tons of uses.
  • TR56
    TR56 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I love Trutein. By far the best flavors I have ever found and the blend of proteins is awesome
  • dianefisher47
    dianefisher47 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I use Body Fortress (strawberry flavor) 26 grams Protein...I buy at Walmart and I use it with water also...I found with milk it was too creamy and with water less calories:drinker:
  • chellebubblz
    chellebubblz Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I've been looking for the answer to this too. I have decided to try the Body Fortress whey isolates, it's half the price of the high end powders and the nutrients in it looks to be about the same. Low sugar, high protein.
  • SyStEmPhReAk
    SyStEmPhReAk Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    You'll get 20 different answers... much it is just preference to taste.

^ this... However, preference according to taste isn't an accurate assessment of quality. The presence of BCAAs, amounts of carbs and fats should be taken into consideration. Also the true % of protein per serving is important (i.e. the label may say 20 grams per serving but you're really getting much less).

Go with a name brand you trust.

Good luck
  • kristiontheinside
    Options
    I like Performance Whey by Optimum Nutrition. Chocolate Shake is the only flavor I have tried. It is very good, and 160 calories a scoop. I paid $40 for 5 pounds at my gym. Each scoop has 22 grams of protein. I mix it with water to keep calories down.

I will say, if you want to splurge and have extra cash just lying around, try Muscle Milk. I had bought a ready made Muscle Milk Light at a gas station, and it tasted AMAZING! You can buy it in powder form at Wal Mart.

Edited to add:
    I only use protein shakes after an intense strength training session. My trainer recommended it to help muscle repair. Drinking the protein instead of eating it, gets it to the muscles faster. Also you have to use cold water. I put some water in the fridge before I work out, then when I get home it's cold enough to make my shake with. I just shake/stir it up, but you can buy special cups to mix it with. You can also add ice and use a blender, but I hate to do extra dishes!
  • LeRevCooper
    Options
    I like Metabolife. The calories are really low for the amount of fiber and protein you get in a serving. Chocolate is the best flavor. The vanilla isn't very good at all.
  • tregush
    Options
    My top pick is definitely ALLMAX Isoflex, in Vanilla! I have used it for baking and mostly use 1 scoop in my morning shake with 1/2 cup Unsweetened Almond Breeze, 2 tablespoons of Chocolate PB2(Powdered Peanut Butter by Bell Plantation) 1/2 a Banana. Blend with Ice. Yum!
  • Factory_Reset
    Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    I love the cytosport chocolate or vanilla whey protein mix. it's made by the same people that make muscle milk. the only difference we noticed was that muscle milk only had 16g protein(I think that was the right #) while the cytosport has 27g per scoop. they both have around 150 for calories but to get the 32g that muscle milk promotes on the container you have to use 2 scoops. We just liked more protein without all the calories. we mix it with unsweetened vanilla almond milk when we take it on the go but for meals mix kale, spinach and berries in. It mixes well into hot cereal and my hubby's used it in pancake recipes and to make his own protein bars. Have heard the opitimum nutrition is good too. we use to also get one at vitamin world (can't remember the brand) but the cytosport just mixes creamier imo. good luck on your search!