will you continue to use mfp in maintainence?

Options

Replies

• LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    Maintaining since June of 2011. It's no different than losing, except with a little more wiggle room.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/LorinaLynn/view/it-ain-t-over-when-you-hit-your-goal-423924
  • acs4162
    acs4162 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I reached my "goal" for my weight in June, but I have been setting other fitness goals for myself since then. Once I decided I was at my goal, I upped my caloric intake to 1440 (from 1300) and I have re-incorporated some dairy and some breads back into my diet. (Paleo 80%) I've also let myself enjoy a few cheat foods/meals that I hadn't had in quite some time.

Unfortunately with school starting back I haven't been as active as I really should be, but MFP has really helped me see what I'm eating each day and it's a great reminder to not go crazy on my favorite splurge foods. I have missed a couple of days here and there, but for the most part, I'm still logging and watching my sugars & carbs.

I think like everyone has been saying, I'll keep logging for a while. I do try to listen to my body for when it's full or when it's still hungry. I'm getting better at gagging if I've had too much refined sugar in one day or too much salt or not enough water.
  • DPernet
    DPernet Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Once I reach my goal weight, I will be using MFP for the next few years. Maintaining and bulking/cutting.
  • Jill_newimprovedversion
    Options
    YEPPERS! Been in* maintenance mode* for about 8 months and although I don't always log everything in my food diary
    ( just quick add my allotted daily calories over the weekends)
    I do @ least log in every day and keep tabs on everyone else who's in this with me.

I've found that sodium is my nemesis, so I like to keep track of it- and LOVE the recipe tool MFP offers.

Besides, I've met some WONDERFUL friends along this journey- some further down the road than I,
    ones in maintenance mode, and some just starting out.........

and when I said I'd stick by them thru thick and thin, I meant maintenance too.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,979 Member
    Options
    Personal experience: I lost 55 lbs in 2007-08. Late 2008 I thought, "Psh, I got this. I could do this in my head.." Yeh. I could do it in my head. And I did. For a while.

Thennnnn.....the pants got mysteriously tighter.

One day I couldn't remember the last time I ate vegetables.

I went to the gym once a week.

My friends and I were drinking more.

Slippery slope, let me tell you. By the time I found a scale (mine broke, but, "I got this.") I found I was 20 lbs up again.

The last thing I want to do is have to lose those again.

So, it's better to keep a closer tab than I was doing. I go through phases where I don't log, then I do, but it's a good place to remind me how easy it is to fall.
  • amunet07
    amunet07 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I have learned the hard way that I cannot navigate maintinance without MFP I have tried it and I gained it all back slowly.
  • Jill_newimprovedversion
    Options
    I liken keeping my food diary like keeping track of my $funds$ in my checkbook register.

and my scale's like my GPS when I'm traveling- gets me back on track if I stray off course.
  • TinGirl314
    TinGirl314 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I will continue to log...it doesn't take a lot of time and sometimes I'm still shell shocked at what's in certain foods.
    Unless I can learn to spot the calories in something by looking at it, I'm stickin around.
  • Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    Options
    Yes because if I don't, I'll have to do this all over again.
  • jenneal89
    Options
    Oh yes!! Even more so. That way I won't go over my calories and gain it back :)
  • Leeannboswell
    Options
    Yes! I will post FOREVER! It's one of the tools I can use to keep me from EVER being fat again in my life!!! It's free, it's fun, and oh so helpful.

LeeAnn
  • bluelena
    bluelena Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! I can't imagine hitting goal and then just quitting MFP. It's the first time in years I've held myself accountable. Why stop at maintenance?
  • ghostpixie
    ghostpixie Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Once I get to my GW I plan to continue using MFP for logging, that way I don't slide back :)
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I've been in maintenance for a full year and my weight has held steady so far. I still log every day and still practice strict portion control of all calorie dense foods. If I super-size a serving of something it will be broccoli or green beans, not pasta. I don't find it difficult to stay within my calorie budget most days and I have no fear of returning to all of my bad habits tomorrow if I drop my guard. I'm afraid of drift.
  • dorothytd
    dorothytd Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Yep. Using it every day. I've been in maintenance for close to 6 years now and since joining MFP in March after hearing a nutritionist speak. It has made me more dedicated and consistent. What did she say? Accountability is FOR LIFE. Not just for calories, but for protein intake and getting enough exercise. I'm not perfect, and lose track at the end of the day sometimes, but it is a wonderful tool that I'll keep using as long as I can!!
  • Tonigirl519
    Tonigirl519 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    yeah....from what I've read...tracking is a part of this lifestyle journey...so yes I will be an ongoing tracker here.
  • katejkelley
    katejkelley Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    I will probably use MFP indefinitely. I've read so many posts from people who stopped logging in and started regaining their weight. I find it so helpful to see how many calories I'm eating and burning each day, I don't see a reason to stop even when I don't need to lose anymore weight.
  • reneecgc
    reneecgc Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I basically still calculate but I am not as strict as when I was losing. As long as the scale says that I am Okay that
    is all that matters.
  • katevarner
    katevarner Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    Currently in maintenance and still logging. Been down this road several times before and always gained it back, sometimes more, sometimes less, but this time was the biggest I had ever been not pregnant. I'm 47 and it was harder this time to lose, and I know it will be even harder to do it again. Rather log for the rest of my life.
  • quill16
    quill16 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    It has taken me 18 months to lose the weight. I've been at goal for 3 months. I have a 5-10 lb window and as soon as I gain I start again on 1200 cals and vigorous exercise until I am back down. it is still a struggle and I look at logging as a lifestyle.