How Do I Change My Mindset?

Options
Hey guys!
I'm having a really rough time right now with my relationship with food.

I want to be able to say that I like healthy food, that I would rather choose veggies over french fries, baked food over fried food, etcetc. But I can't honestly say that. I don't know how to change my mindset from eating just for the sake of eating to eating to live, where I'm nourishing my body with the things it needs to function well. I choose the things that taste good, which includes a lot of junk food, even when I know that there's a million pounds of crappy additives and whatnot.

Even when I tell myself that I should be eating to make my body happy, so that it will support me in the things I want to do, I just feel like I'm ultimately cheating myself and I should be able to eat what I want, and that's part of eating healthily. But I don't want to eat fast food as much as I want to now, even if I can fit them into my daily calories.

I'm not really sure if I'm just rambling or making sense, but basically I want to know how I can change my mindset so that I want to eat healthy foods more than junk food.

Replies

• SelenisGoesFit
    Options
    I understand you... i would like to say i like oatmeal over hot chocolate + pancakes, but i don't! I guess it's because i've been eating all those "unhealthy" things for almost 30 years and my body/mouth is used to that. I try to cook more veggies than before... i try to make fruit snacks rather than cookie snacks (or something like that)... and i'm beginning to enjoy it! I mean, after eating it i actually feel better and proud, saying to myself "see, peachs are as yummy as a donut!" (because it's actually true). But when i'm tired, stressed or angry/sad, i can't really think "hm, those vegetables will be so yummy, can't wait to eat them!"... i will probably tell myself "i want mcdonald's! NOW!" but i've been making my best to struggle and not return to eating fast food... can't really tell you how to change your mindset as i don't think there's a solution for this problem. We'll just get used to love healthy food and not eating "bad" foods... at least, i hope so!
  • imwithgizmo
    imwithgizmo Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I understand! For me it was just fake it til you make it. I decided that you don't need to always get what you WANT. So, I eat what I need. But truthfully, I am enjoying it, and only miss the bad food once in a while. It's okay to sacrifice crappy food for your better health. One meal at a time.
  • Full4Life
    Full4Life Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    In my experience, the only way I have EVER been able to make any real changes has been by changing gradually.

If you can start to force yourself into the veggies over the fries, that's a start. Eventually, you will taste the fries again and they won't taste like what you remembered them to, or your stomach will feel so raw from having consumed them you will wonder how you ever enjoyed them to begin with.

It takes time, but it will take forever without an initial push.
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    Hey guys!
    I'm having a really rough time right now with my relationship with food.

I want to be able to say that I like healthy food, that I would rather choose veggies over french fries, baked food over fried food, etcetc. But I can't honestly say that. I don't know how to change my mindset from eating just for the sake of eating to eating to live, where I'm nourishing my body with the things it needs to function well. I choose the things that taste good, which includes a lot of junk food, even when I know that there's a million pounds of crappy additives and whatnot.

Even when I tell myself that I should be eating to make my body happy, so that it will support me in the things I want to do, I just feel like I'm ultimately cheating myself and I should be able to eat what I want, and that's part of eating healthily. But I don't want to eat fast food as much as I want to now, even if I can fit them into my daily calories.

I'm not really sure if I'm just rambling or making sense, but basically I want to know how I can change my mindset so that I want to eat healthy foods more than junk food.

I have found that what I eat has a big impact on my mindset. if I eat foods with a lot of sugar, salt, sauces, cream, etc. my thoughts are a wreck. It has to do with how certain foods influence my neurochemistry.

When I eat clean, non-processed, healthy foods, my thoughts are balanced, calm, no cravings.

You are what you eat.
  • StephyGetsFit
    Options
    I can see how after you don't eat fast food for a while and then eat it again it doesn't taste as good.

Do you guys think it's beneficial to have "cheat meals/days", where you can eat whatever, or is it better to just force yourself into that place where you aren't eating any junk food until you just don't feel the need to have the cheats at all? I'm afraid of completely cutting myself off from things like that, but at the same time, when I start to eat better, and have a cheat burger or whatever else, and once I get over that feeling of like, gut rot that comes with junk food after you haven't had it for a while, I find myself that I'm basically starting over.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I think it's a process. You can change your likes little by little. I have just started eating plain yogurt by putting it into a smoothie with fruit. Otherwise I can't stand the stuff ;-)
  • Joannie30
    Joannie30 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel.

It is hard when you've been eating a certain way for so long, to break free from that but personally i have found that i feel more empowered by making healthy choices now. I've been making gradual changes to my eating habits since the beginning of this year in a bid to be more healthy and i am finding that it is paying off!!!! Every time i think about the changes i've brought about in my own health, i feel great about eating healthy food. I do still eat unhealthy food from time to time when i feel like it, because in my opinion, it can do more harm than good to create mental blocks about anything as you end up craving it more.

I allow myself a little of anything i want, and i find that really works for me and stops me from bingeing on junk all the time.

Jx
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    I, honestly, don't know that I have changed my mindset all that much. What gets me through it is cheat days. Not everyone can make cheat days work... For some people, it's better to just avoid temptation all together. For me, they have probably been the most important part of changing my diet.

I don't gorge myself on cheat days, I just allow myself to make the "unhealthy" choices. This allows me to stop obsessing over the cravings, because I know I can have it at the end of the week. And sometimes, by the weekend, I've forgotten all about what I was craving in the first place.
  • stardancer7
    stardancer7 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    One thing I did was to read World's Healthiest Foods...I like visiting the website, too, and reading about the micronutrients, etc. It just made me feel so much better about my choices... I know there are a lot of people who poo-poo Dr. Oz, but his visuals have stuck in my head and that has also helped me to reframe things.
  • Nina2503
    Nina2503 Posts: 172 Member
    Options

I have found that what I eat has a big impact on my mindset. if I eat foods with a lot of sugar, salt, sauces, cream, etc. my thoughts are a wreck. It has to do with how certain foods influence my neurochemistry.

When I eat clean, non-processed, healthy foods, my thoughts are balanced, calm, no cravings.

You are what you eat.

I agree totally

If you find its too hard to contemplate a radical change in one go try one meal a day, and I would suggest starting with breakfast....if you eat start the day right without eating junk you may find it easier to make better choices the rest of the day.

When a healthy breakfast becomes a habit, maybe try and lunch to that, then you are only one meal away from better choices.

I know how rubbish junk food made me feel but i feel 100 times better now I eat healthily 95% of the time.
  • lilmissymoo90
    lilmissymoo90 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    your eating the wrong things healty food doesnt have to be boring with no flavor you just have to experiment my partner is captain unhealthy food and i found a few recipes that he actually enjoys
  • SelenisGoesFit
    Options
    I can see how after you don't eat fast food for a while and then eat it again it doesn't taste as good.

Do you guys think it's beneficial to have "cheat meals/days", where you can eat whatever, or is it better to just force yourself into that place where you aren't eating any junk food until you just don't feel the need to have the cheats at all? I'm afraid of completely cutting myself off from things like that, but at the same time, when I start to eat better, and have a cheat burger or whatever else, and once I get over that feeling of like, gut rot that comes with junk food after you haven't had it for a while, I find myself that I'm basically starting over.

sometimes i eat more than i should... i mean, i'm really "hungry", i feel like eating chocolat and peanut butter and stuff like that... i ALWAYS log what i eat when i "cheat". and i really try to not go more than 500kcal over my limit. It works better for me than having a "cheat day", i just kept eating crap all day and the next morning it was really difficult to get back to my healthy eating.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    I found a couple of books that really helped me with these issues.

Bethany Frankel's Naturally Thin
    John Barbans Anything Goes Diet

Neither are "diet books" but merely a way of looking at food, and both are amazing books in my opinion.

They helped me with my success --> http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/740340-i-lost-60-lbs-at-age-51-anyone-can-any-workout
  • liesevanlingen
    liesevanlingen Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Something that has helped me (especially when eating out) is telling myself, "yes, I do want fries or cheesecake or whatever, but I don't have to have it right now. Right now, I'm going to order an bowl of soup or a salad." Another trick is getting a dessert, but splitting it with a couple of people.
    Preparation is key. If you have veggies available, and they're ready to eat, then it's just as easy to grab them as a bag of chips. When I have sliced peppers, baby carrots, fresh fruit, or celery sticks around, I will eat them. But if I'm hungry and haven't bothered to prepare them, it's easier to just take the junk food. Take some time when you're not hungry or tired and do the preparation (or buy them already prepared) and it will help.

I've lost 7 pounds since starting here at the end of August. Having to record it makes a big difference for me. Hope these tips help!
  • Merrysix
    Merrysix Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    For me change in attitude follows action -- in other words I had to start eating clean and healthy before I have the desire. I have to start feeling how good my body fees before I actually WANT t hat feeling. Usually takes about 30 days of clean eating before I really desire clean eating. As to comfort food -- that makes sense because sugars and carbs create dopamine/seraton in rush in the brain -- just like a drug, but I remind myself it is very short laisting and for me leads to more craving. So I eat protein and do something else comforting like take a jaccuzi bath, or walk, or whatever feels good that is not food.
  • islandnutshel
    islandnutshel Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Slowly, one thing at a time, one day at a time. Soon you will look at someone eating like you used to and not even desire those foods.
    You could start with one meal. Make it healthy, and light and remind yourself you can eat what you crave at the next meal.
    I found adding foods easier than taking away foods. Add an apple between meals. Eat a salad before dinner.
    Or change the portions on your plate. Half the meat, and double the vegetables and cut the potato portion in half. Eat slower and mindfully.
    For instance I went to dinner last night at someones house and they cooked lovely salmon and spinach salad, and my favorite calorie laden food potato salad. I told myself I will serve myself the potato salad after my greens and salmon. When it came time, I did have some but I wasn't hungry so I just ate a taste. It felt good not to say no to anything and to eat within my limit.
    It gets easier. It takes a month to get a good habit in place. Keep at it.
  • hazelovesfood
    hazelovesfood Posts: 454 Member
    Options

ahh you mention gut rot lol, i have ibs and now since i dont eat burgers etc they do kill my stomach and too much fat and i pay.Im actually with you in that I cant change my own mindset about food. I know full well what is good for me and i eat the good for me stuff most of the time, but i will never stop wanting sweet treats like cheesecake and chocolate I dont think.I want a sweet treat every day of my life and thats the big problem I have, i can leave pizza and fries alont no problem, but things like scones and cereal are lush to me. I dont eat very much bread these days and keep that well down, but i guess i will replace it with something else equally as bad lol.I wish I didnt like cakes, choccy and biscuits/cookies but i do and i doubt i will ever give them up all together.
  • Renee2817
    Renee2817 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Remember this is a lifestyle change and not a diet. If you crave something have it, only in a smaller portion size. and don't beat yourself up about it. start fresh the next day. you are the only one controlling your lifestyle journey, make a journal of how you feel when you want to eat certain foods when you get past that point you can always go back and look over it, to see why you desire those things. You can do it, and I am here for encouragement. @ blessings2310@hotmail.com. Good luck
  • Urvi8
    Urvi8 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I understand! For me it was just fake it til you make it. I decided that you don't need to always get what you WANT. So, I eat what I need. But truthfully, I am enjoying it, and only miss the bad food once in a while. It's okay to sacrifice crappy food for your better health. One meal at a time.

great advice that i needed!! thanks
  • Journalartista
    Journalartista Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    For me change in attitude follows action -- in other words I had to start eating clean and healthy before I have the desire. I have to start feeling how good my body fees before I actually WANT t hat feeling. Usually takes about 30 days of clean eating before I really desire clean eating. As to comfort food -- that makes sense because sugars and carbs create dopamine/seraton in rush in the brain -- just like a drug, but I remind myself it is very short laisting and for me leads to more craving. So I eat protein and do something else comforting like take a jaccuzi bath, or walk, or whatever feels good that is not food.

I agree with this. I had to completely remove sugar, deep fried and processed foods for a good 3 weeks, no cheating. Yes, it was pure h e double hockey sticks, but it's what I needed to change my mindset. I actually get excited to eat a grapefruit now! Four months later, I do allow myself a treat meal once a week, but that's because I feel I have control over what I eat.

Focus on changing your mindset in regards to commitment and goals. For me when my mind was focused on being fit, food had to follow.

Much Love!