Ladies only!

Options
Guys, I'm warning you now I doubt this will be a conversation you will want to get into so I recommend turning back right now... go on... trust me on this...

So ladies, every month I suffer awful period cramps and very heavy bleeding and I've been known to pass out with them a few times. I was put on 2 types of the "Pill" A while ago and was very sick with them so I never returned for this problem in case they put me on another which would make me sick.

Have any of you gone through this and found an effective way of relieving the symptoms? someone recommended the implant that goes in the arm which seems okay but I would like to explore all options if possible.

Replies

• fawndam
    fawndam Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    been there done that...i finally had a Mirena put in...and after about 7 months it got WAYYYY better...now after 3 years i have hardly no period at all....it fabulous!!!
  • Dani_wants_to_be_fit
    Options
    been there done that...i finally had a Mirena put in...and after about 7 months it got WAYYYY better...now after 3 years i have hardly no period at all....it fabulous!!!

Thank you for the reply =) Do you know how long that would be effective for?
  • jen0731
    jen0731 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    You can have Mirena in for 5 years. The dr can take it out at anytime if you decide to try and get pregnant. I had the Mirena and loved it! It was the best birth contorl I've ever had. I used the pill and the depo shot in the past.
  • Dani_wants_to_be_fit
    Options
    You can have Mirena in for 5 years. The dr can take it out at anytime if you decide to try and get pregnant. I had the Mirena and loved it! It was the best birth contorl I've ever had. I used the pill and the depo shot in the past.

Thank you very much for the help =) I think it will definitely be something I look into. Especially knowing it can be removed any time.
  • JessigirlJb
    Options
    Besides birth control im going to recommend a good iron supplement during that time of the month
  • Dani_wants_to_be_fit
    Options
    I'll try and get some extra iron in there too. Thanks =)
  • juicy011
    juicy011 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I'll chime in because I have Mirena too. The Pill always made me feel sick and with Mirena I don't get sick at all. Plus it made that TOM very short, like 2-3 days.
  • mommamindi
    Options
    I have the implanon, it is the implant that goes in your arm. It is good for three years, and actually the most effective form of birth control available (according to my doctor). I have no period anymore, its only been in for 9 months! I love it!!
  • lindsy721
    lindsy721 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    You might be interested in some more natural options, especially if the hormones are causing issues. I've been off of hormonal birth control stuff for years, and was able to get my period-related issues and pains and stuff under control with natural means.

Try this book first: "Fertility, Cycles, and Nutrition" by Marilyn M. Shannon, 4th edition. Really, really helpful. The first edition was kind of more geared toward people trying to get pregnant, but she's really expanded it to include all of us, the people just wanted to get rid of heavy bleeding and cramping and other problems.

Keep us posted, sweetie!
  • hunlun1
    hunlun1 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Remember everyone is different. My daughter could not do the implant, made her so sick and she gained alot of weight. Hopefully you find something that will agree with you. Good luck.
  • saratogaaileen
    Options
    Another vote for the Mirena, Got mine in April and have had the best "months" of my life. x
  • Dani_wants_to_be_fit
    Options
    Thanks a lot girls for all the advise and input. Definitely going to try the Mirena I think since it's being highly recommended.
  • AggieLu
    AggieLu Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    No offense to anyone. Taking a pill is not an answer. Why stop something that is naturally meant to happen? You're hurting yourself. Wake up, people!

I tend to have a painful menstrual cycle. I soak a towel in hot water, apply to where the pain stems from, a few minutes, no pain :)
  • pudadough
    pudadough Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    I have always had horrific cramps. Even when I was 10 years old. Exercise does NOT help it. Makes it worse, in fact. I've also passed out before and if I don't get it under control I will be vomiting and unable to walk on day 1.

My advice? Stop messing around with BC altogether if you don't need it to prevent pregnancy. It makes me SO ANGRY that they are still throwing that stuff at us after 50 freaking years. The only good thing it may do for you is reduce bleeding (heavy bleeding means a heavy endometrium and possible endometriosis.) I don't have heavy bleeding, so it was useless for me. And made me psycho and fat.

My advice? Walk into your OBGYN and demand heavy painkillers. I've used hydrocodone and even Valium with great success. Strangely enough, buspomine (Buspar) works well for me, too. Basically anything that is a relaxant or anti-anxiety works. It is so infuriating that doctors can't make that simple connection. The uterus is a muscle. The muscle contractions cause the pain. So obviously a muscle relaxer would help! DUH! But initially, they will just look at you like you're a drug addict.
  • allifantastical
    allifantastical Posts: 946 Member
    Options

I love my Mirena. I've had it the 5 years and I'm getting ready to get another one in Oct. The insertion hurts, but it's totally worth it! Especially being period free for 5 years!
  • jaxxie
    jaxxie Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    DEPO, no period, no problem! Best of luck to you!
  • mommamindi
    Options
    No offense to anyone. Taking a pill is not an answer. Why stop something that is naturally meant to happen? You're hurting yourself. Wake up, people!

I tend to have a painful menstrual cycle. I soak a towel in hot water, apply to where the pain stems from, a few minutes, no pain :)

I dont take a pill to stop my period. I am on birth control to not have a baby again. I dont have bad craps, I never have. I am however resistant to every form of birth control I have been put on (except the implanon so far).
  • lindsy721
    lindsy721 Posts: 350 Member
    Options

This is kind of how I feel, too. I know a number of people who have had surprise pregnancies on various hormonal options (pill, Mirena, etc.) and the problem with some of these is that if you're not getting periods, you may not know you've had a failure until a couple of months into it. :-(

To the OP, you can always go for Mirena later. Try the lesser invasive stuff first. It's not common knowledge, heck I didn't know about it until I was like 22 or 23 and had already been using the pill for years. But it's worth it. I now have no cramps, just light bleeding, and no other period problems... and no synthetic hormones in my system! :-)
  • frando
    frando Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    I had severe pains with my periods too, but not to the extent of yours.

After going to the doctor and we worked out that I basically lost two or three times as much blood as I should have. I couldn't have the pill, due to my weight, and opted to have the bar implant. I've only had three periods since (this was about ten months ago), I've not had an issues with pain either though I do spot every so often.

The bar is a great alternative! Especially if you're forgetful like me x3

I used to have literally debilitating pain, when I was younger it wasn't uncommon for me to take a day off from school, college or work because I'd spend so long cramping in the fetal position it wasn't practical. A warm towel, hot water bottle or bean bag did sweet f*** all.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    When my cramps get too painful (ie: I can't move), I'll hop in a hot shower or use a heating pad. I've mostly gotten used to being in pain every month. I have to be in pretty bad shape to go for pain medication. Most of my family relies heavily on pain meds to the point that nothing gives them relief.

OTC like Mydol just makes me go to sleep which doesn't relieve the pain. BC has never made the pain go away.