Eating Banana on a Empty Stomach Bad?

Options
2»

Replies

• MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Never heard of such a thing...no idea if it is true or not, but an old friend once told me that he ate a banana first thing in the morning every single day...that it was the "pefect food" to start your day.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Did they give you any reason why or just tell you it's was "bad"?

I was told that it will damage stomach. LOL and I did some research and it sounds like those who agree with it quoted from the same source saying something to do with magnesium...
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Never heard that one before. Most days the first solid food I consume is a banana.
  • foxythefox
    Options
    On livestrong.com they had an experiment saying that you lose slightly more fat if you burn on an empty stomach vs. eating before (unless you are a pro athelete) and the doctor even said if you HAVE to eat then eat a banana. I will find the link.
  • Flowers4Julia
    Flowers4Julia Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    bananas would give me too much of a sugar hit and I'd be on the couch for awhile...Do what feels good to your body :wink:

edit - cause I can't spell or type - lol
  • crazybookworm
    crazybookworm Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    I think it's completely untrue. One of the best pre-workout foods are Bananas, because their natural sugars are turned into energy. 1 banana provides enough energy for a 90 minute workout. You were good for not eating on an empty stomach and chosing a Banana was a great choice!
  • atjays
    atjays Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with that, some good healthy carbs to help energize your workout. A lot of mornings I have a banana and a piece of toast or two with juice. Always a great way to start a day
  • ksmcq1967
    ksmcq1967 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Actually, bananas can cause constipation. They give bananas to babies and kids in the hospital that have diarrhea. I've had both doctors and nurses tell me this.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I honestly don't know how I can respond to this question without getting a strike.

/closes thread
  • albayin
    Options
    I honestly don't know how I can respond to this question without getting a strike.

/closes thread

I honestly want to know if someone happens to know a reliable proof to either way. :) Ya know, I don't think I am that great when it comes to research.
  • Rogus1
    Rogus1 Posts: 60 Member
    Options

I was told that it will damage stomach. LOL and I did some research and it sounds like those who agree with it quoted from the same source saying something to do with magnesium...

Well magnesium is a natural laxative and if you get too much...well you can figure the result. I guess some sensitive people could have stomach issues from eating a banana. So, in that respect, a banana on an empty stomach could be "bad." A banana only has about 7% of the daily requirement of magnesium, so I think you'd have to be pretty darn sensitive to it to be affected by one banana.

Truly amazing the stuff that gets spread around as 'good' advice.
  • albayin
    Options

Well magnesium is a natural laxative and if you get too much...well you can figure the result. I guess some sensitive people could have stomach issues from eating a banana. So, in that respect, a banana on an empty stomach could be "bad." A banana only has about 7% of the daily requirement of magnesium, so I think you'd have to be pretty darn sensitive to it to be affected by one banana.

Truly amazing the stuff that gets spread around as 'good' advice.

thanks. this makes sense to me.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

/closes thread

I strongly encourage all women to...(no, wait, that's not right).

My wife asked me the same thing and I told her...(eh, no, still not).

If it takes you more than two bites...(getting worse, not better).

Yes, broscience. Eat bananas when, where, and how you want.

/thread
  • ainkalam
    ainkalam Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    hi all... i had upset stomach yesterday for eating banana on empty stomach...some sort of like gastric pain. perhaps you would like to read some info here.

http://news.peacefmonline.com/health/200911/31924.php