what do I do now?

Options
Ok this morning I weighed in at 9st 3 on my bathroom scales.. I was thrilled as it was my goal!

However when I get on wii fit it weighs me in a bit heavier and I'm just under the 9 and half stone line. (wanted to get to 9st 3 on there to reach the target it set me) so I haven't changed my weight on here yet.

That's ok I thought I just need to get to about 9st on bathroom scales for it to show as 9st 3 on wii fit then I'm finished. But then my step mum visited she is 70 and always looked slimmer than me I figured she was about 8st something and if I lost another stone I'd look trim like that too. I got shock of my life when she told me she was 11st!! she's 2 sizes smaller than me! I'm still in size 14's cos my tummy is still 34" it was 33" I seem to have put an inch ON around tummy but my waist is the same and my body is lighter!!!!

Can someone tell me how this is possible?

I'm thin everywhere except tummy with all cardio and look lightly pregnant rather than fat all over. my tummy is soft and doughy which I read is common with Hypothyroidism (i was born with mine not working) though I did have flat tummy when I was young before I went up to 16st!

I'm thinking of trying meat and or dairy free on top of wheat free to see if I have another food allergy that is keeping tummy big, though dunno what I'll have left to eat!

I was thinking of one of those VLC diets but having difficulty finding one thats both gluten and nut free. Anyone know of one?

Replies

• love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    probably not a good idea to go restricting everything under the sun. abetter approach is to add strength training since it's clearly something that you lack. More weight loss seems to be a bad solution as well--you said it yourself--your step mom is HEAVIER and you think she's thin. That should be a pretty good indicator that you don't need to lose weight. Frame size and body type is a big indicator of how your body will look at a certain weight but my point is merely that your body composition needs to change--not your weight.
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    A change in type of food probably won't have any effect. Less overall weight would and more muscles would. Muscles are denser than fat. So two people can weigh exactly the same amount and be the same height, but the more muscular person will look thinner.

(For more on muscle/fat density, see http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Robin_Bin/view/how-much-does-a-pound-weigh-295817)
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Your step mum is 11st and is a size 10? How tall is she? When I was 11st I was wearing size 12-14 and I'm 5ft 9".

The only thing I can think of is weight training, does she do this? Women that do weights can be alot heavier then you would imagine but still look slim/lean, the weight comes from the muscle.
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    I don't know her exact height but she's taller than me. I'm only 5ft 3 and half and most of my family are 5ft 10 - 6ft range (some just over) think mother-in-law is next smallest at about 5ft 7.

I know she doesn't do weight training but she is active has a motor home does caravanning, walking, cycling and line dancing.

I am in wheelchair myself so these activities are not possible for me. I can stand for a short time so can do the balance games on wii fit with aid of balance belt (from the US) and manage crutches for a few steps if someone with me in case i fall over but my balance isn't good so do nearly everything from sitting. All my exercises are done sitting or from floor.

I got a 4kg kettlebell and can do some of the floor exercises with it and have adapted some of the standing exercises that I can to do from sitting but I am a beginner with this. I have to wear splints when doing them cos my wrists are very thin but they always have been since a child regardless of my weight.

With passive trainer pedals (motor pedals legs for me) it has a 15 min cycle and 4 of those is around an hour and about 660cals burned sometimes I do 90 (30 mins earlier in day then 60 in evening whilst watching telly) and that comes in at just over 1,000cals. I stopped though cos I was gaining too much water from exercising and making me heavier.
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I wonder if having to be seated so much of the time is part of it... That must make it harder for your abs to get much of a workout from daily life.

I am constantly amazed by how people the same height and weight as me can have totally different measurements from me. In fact, I'm a totally different shape at my old favourite weight than I ever used to be! If you' like to lose a little more, by all means do, but remember you can always gain it back if you change your mind :laugh:
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    Quit doing all cardio and start focusing on strength training. By attempting to lose weight via diet and cardio alone, you are losing muscle, as well, which gives you an unflattering physique. This is what is commonly called "skinnyfat," when you are light/thin but still have a high bf%.
  • Flowers4Julia
    Flowers4Julia Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    you could google primal and paleo diets. They are very clean eating with no grains (which does cause tummy bloat). They are higher in healthy fats (for energy), moderate protein and low carb... All your carbs would come from veggies rather than grain based foods.

you never know it could work for you!

Good Luck, and chin up - you can do this!
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    Thanks..I have been low carb and wheat free for the last year. I don't often eat rice I use cauliflower whizzed up and steamed in place of rice and cous cous. I use gluten free pasta and bread when I do have it. Oats is the only thing I eat for breakfast sometimes.

I don't often have potato with dinner either, I substitute mashed potato with carrot and swede mash. my weakness is chocolate around monthlies but I got chcolate slimfast to have twice a day on those days to help me stick to diet AND satisfy the cravings for that week!

I also have nut allergy so nuts are out.

I did have a fibroid a few years back the size of a fist the nurse had said. my abdomen circumference was then 48"!!! I did wonder if maybe this is as small as it will go from diet and exercise (now 34" around tummy) so I'm gonna try progesterone treatment and the oestrogen dominance diet after I found book on amazon last night so I bought them. (book and progesterone cream).